Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo techniques on track vs NA cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006 | 07:17 AM
jasoncuk
Instructor

Default Turbo techniques on track vs NA cars

Forgetting the specifics of GT2/TT vs GT-3 type debates, I would be interested in some colour on how Turbo cars change people's track driving style. How do you best keep the turbos spooled up? cope with a lack of engine braking etc?
Old 02-16-2006 | 08:03 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

I suspect driving a GT2/TT is very different than the old single turbos (sigh), but for a single turbo driver I'd say it is all about knowing the car and timing the boost appropriately. In other words, get on the gas perhaps a bit earlier than you would in a NA car so that the power is there when you want/need it. You also need to pay attention to your revs to keep the engine in a position where it can flow air quickly to minimize spool time.

As for engine braking, I use my brakes to slow down.
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:17 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

I'm with Jupe on this. All I do is get on the gas a little sooner and time the boost. I also tend to throttle steer less than I did in my former 914/6, as when you get back on it, there is a slight delay before the boost is back. I would think a twin turbo would have far less lag, so the differences to be smaller.
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:20 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I had a properly geared 5spd single turbo 930 and didn't notice lag. As mentioned, you are on the gas much earlier, and when the boost builds, you end up backing off the throttle even though the car is accelerating. Some places allow for left foot braking, like the left hander at LRP which helps some. In my car it really was never an issue.
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:28 AM
sweanders
Race Director

When exciting off boost turns I get on the throttle early to build boost and then feather the throttle to maintain boost until it I have enough traction to gun it again. This happens in such short time and when I get it right I am right up there on the torque barrier and really jump out of the turn.

Old 02-16-2006 | 09:35 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Yeah......... what those guys said.
Old 02-17-2006 | 05:20 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasoncuk
Forgetting the specifics of GT2/TT vs GT-3 type debates, I would be interested in some colour on how Turbo cars change people's track driving style. How do you best keep the turbos spooled up? cope with a lack of engine braking etc?
The Engine is for going , The brakes are for stopping ! JYS .
Old 02-17-2006 | 06:50 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

With a TT, I tend to take turns many times in a higher gear than a would with a NA car. This saves on crunching down a gear sometimes, and as soon as I get near the apex, the dual turbo setup is right there with the power. So I save a shift going in and coming out and still have the power to pull me from the apex.
Old 02-17-2006 | 07:47 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasoncuk
Looking at your sig and picture, I am assuming you have a 996TT or GT2????
If so, I can comment on the tracking style of the TT. I used to track a 2.5L Boxster with 215HP. Now I am tracking a 500HP TT. It is a whole different approach and line that you have to take. I know people will tell you there is only ONE racing line around a track, I beg to differ!
There is never a need to "spool up" or try to stay "in the boost". The sequential TwinTurbo arrangement take care of that. You have tons of torque to assist you in any gear.
The TT lives by "slow in fast out" in corners. This is not a "momentum car". The best way to attack a corner is to apex LATE, which helps launch the TT down the straight. The sooner you can get off the brakes and get on the gas, the better. The AWD bites hard, the more you flatten out the corner the better.

If you don't have a 996TT, disregard all the above.
Old 02-17-2006 | 08:20 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I had pole for the sprint race with a 944 TC on my outside and a fast 930 right behind me. I figured I would try low rev 2nd gear start around 3500. It didn't work and they both took off like rocket ships. I should have taken Leh's suggestion. Oh well I got by them soon enough anyway.
Old 02-17-2006 | 08:36 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RXDOC
Looking at your sig and picture, I am assuming you have a 996TT or GT2????
If so, I can comment on the tracking style of the TT. I used to track a 2.5L Boxster with 215HP. Now I am tracking a 500HP TT. It is a whole different approach and line that you have to take. I know people will tell you there is only ONE racing line around a track, I beg to differ!
There is never a need to "spool up" or try to stay "in the boost". The sequential TwinTurbo arrangement take care of that. You have tons of torque to assist you in any gear.
The TT lives by "slow in fast out" in corners. This is not a "momentum car". The best way to attack a corner is to apex LATE, which helps launch the TT down the straight. The sooner you can get off the brakes and get on the gas, the better. The AWD bites hard, the more you flatten out the corner the better.

If you don't have a 996TT, disregard all the above.
A couple thoughts...

All cars are momentum cars. Drive with that frame of mind and you will be faster.

The 996TT is not a sequential turbo setup, unless you have changed yours.

I suspect, and my seat time behind the wheel of a 996TT is limited so I do not speak from much hands-on experience, that the line difference, if any, is more a factor of the AWD than the power.
Old 02-17-2006 | 09:22 PM
PT
Racer

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
A couple thoughts...

All cars are momentum cars. Drive with that frame of mind and you will be faster.
I can't agree more! I switched from a Boxster to my 930. Initially, the 930 is a "drag car" now she's a momentum car

As most said, the trick is that when in very slow corner where you are off boost, trick is to get on throttle early, time & nurse the turbo, so that you can un-wind & get on power as early as possible.

Yes, the line is different between a Boxster & 930; at least for me.
Old 02-17-2006 | 09:23 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
A couple thoughts...

The 996TT is not a sequential turbo setup, unless you have changed yours.

I suspect, and my seat time behind the wheel of a 996TT is limited so I do not speak from much hands-on experience, that the line difference, if any, is more a factor of the AWD than the power.
Sorry, I must have been mistaken. I always hear 914, 944, etc, referred to as momentum cars by instructors and racers. Never a TT!
By sequential, I meant 2 small turbos, kicking in at two different RPM's, thus no noticeable turbo lag (as exist in the 3.6L). I might be wrong again.
It won't be the first time.
Old 02-17-2006 | 09:33 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RXDOC
Sorry, I must have been mistaken. I always hear 914, 944, etc, referred to as momentum cars by instructors and racers. Never a TT!
By sequential, I meant 2 small turbos, kicking in at two different RPM's, thus no noticeable turbo lag (as exist in the 3.6L). I might be wrong again.
It won't be the first time.
The 996TT definitely has 2 smaller turbos (relative to my single manly turbo ), but they work together all the time. This is different than in, say, the 959 where each of the two turbos were of a different size.
Old 02-17-2006 | 10:08 PM
9-kevin-11
Instructor

Single manly turbo??? Hahaha I'll have to use that one!

Quick Reply: Turbo techniques on track vs NA cars