Sponsored by:

Proper engine storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Proper engine storage

I recently purchased a spare 968 engine. I have no immediate plans for it so I need to make sure that it won't be damaged while just sitting around. What needs to be done?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Where were you able to find one of those ?
Have you Dyno'd you current engine ?
Thanks
Old 02-07-2006, 04:32 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long will the engine sit?

Look to aviation for some ideas as they often have this issue.

Cool, dry place with constant temperatures.

Make sure no air can circulate in to the combustion chamber from either the intake or exhaust ports. Spark plugs should be in the engine for this reason.

If I remember correctly, there are some oils made specifically for pickling engines. They are designed to stick to the metals and not run off. In any case, make sure it has fresh oil in it.

Conflicting views on whether you should rotate the engine occasionally. My personal opinion is not.

Note the recent posts concerning frozen water! So either totally dry or with anti-freeze.

Stephen
Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Stephen - I'm not sure how long the engine will sit; either until I need it to replace a blown one (it that ever happens) or until I decide to build a higher HP engine. At any rate, I currently have all openings sealed but will need to add oil. No water in the engine.

Some have said to pull the plugs and add a bit of oil, then reinsert plugs. I'm guessing that turning the crank every now and then might be good to keep everything lubricated.

Gregg - yes the car has been dynoed and ebay is your friend if you are careful.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool, dry place with constant temperatures.
As my garage is unheated and un-air conditioned, how would I convince my wife to let me keep one on an engine stand in the living room?
Old 02-08-2006, 02:53 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim,
I have always heard to add about a tablespoon of motor oil or Marvel Mystery Oil to each cylinder & then turn the motor over a few times to lube everything up.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Max pm'd me this link http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi...t=002115#000000 which suggest to literally fill the engine with oil (along with many other ideas).

I guess I could just dissasemble the motor. It would be a great learning experience, since I've never done that with a car engine (I have with a motorcycle engine). Of course, then I have the problem of trying to get it back together sometime in the future
Old 02-08-2006, 05:46 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lemming
I'm guessing that turning the crank every now and then might be good to keep everything lubricated.
There is a big debate about this now in general aviation. Should you pull the prop through every so often or just let it sit? One school of thought is that pulling the prop through only serves to scrape off the oil that is already on the surfaces. Since the engine never turns fast enough, the oil pump will not be able to pump oil.

I forgot to mention that you want to get all fuel out of the engine. Nothing in the injection system or float bowl, etc.

Here is the special storage oil I mentioned:

POLY-FIBER ESO ENGINE STORAGE OIL

Never used it. Don't know a lot about it. I only know it exists. So I suggest a little research before you actually use it.

I would be afraid to fill the combustion chamber with oil because of hydrolock issues. Obviously if you did this, you wouldn't try to turn the engine over. You would have to remove the plugs and pump out the oil before you tried to start it. This is why people will pull through radial engines -- to make sure that they are not hydrolocked with oil.

Stephen
Old 02-08-2006, 11:51 PM
hderr
Rennlist Member

I'm wondering why you couldn't fog the engine like I do with my boat engines for the winter? I use a fogging oil from the auto store. Remove the plugs, spray each cylinder, crank the engine, spray again. Replace the plugs. Seems to work fine, although I've never had the heads off.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:13 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hderr
I'm wondering why you couldn't fog the engine like I do with my boat engines for the winter? I use a fogging oil from the auto store. Remove the plugs, spray each cylinder, crank the engine, spray again. Replace the plugs. Seems to work fine, although I've never had the heads off.

What is a "fogging oil"? Is this the coating the manufacturers will put on new parts to prevent corrosion in distribution?

Stephen
Old 02-09-2006, 12:05 PM
hderr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FixedWing
What is a "fogging oil"? Is this the coating the manufacturers will put on new parts to prevent corrosion in distribution?

Stephen
My experience with fogging oils is limited to boat engines being stored for the winter. The oil is either sprayed into the cylinders with the plugs out which is what I do with my jet boat (2 cycle) or in the big boat the oil is sprayed into the carbs with the engines at a fast idle until they die. Once the engine dies, it is not restarted until Spring.

I'm not sure exactly what makes a fogging oil different from any other oil, other than it comes in an aerosol can. Maybe someone else can tell us about the oil?

Hank

Quick Reply: Proper engine storage