Sponsored by:

Building a cheater car

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:16 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I think that I can give Charlie his money's worth Summit Point though.
Big fat turbos and twisty track do not mix. The other fast guy in C on the east coast is Chris Castagna. He ran 1:30 flat at Mosport, which is just insanely fast.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:10 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This car can run the 295s at the rear too. As far as 2:08s at the Glen, well thats why we line them up and race them. We'll know in about 4 months. I think that I can give Charlie his money's worth Summit Point though.
Yeah, I've never been to Summit. Advantage: Larry!

Oh, and in addition to the 295s I have headers on order. Woohoo!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:26 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
I know nothing of 911's, but run the big blacks instead of the reds - less noticable.
How about just have a set of big reds powder coated black.

Another one would be to replace the stock trailing arms in a C2 Turbo with the NA version so you could run really big tires in the rear (I think you can fit 315s if you do this...without you are limited to 295s).
Old 01-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Oh, and in addition to the 295s I have headers on order. Woohoo!
Why am I starting to feel turbo envy?

I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:53 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know of an early turbo running 315s... are you sure you guys can't run them legally? What about with custom offset wheels?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

If it can be done it will be done.
I saw an SC get a set of 964 cams, euro pistons and cylinders, ported polished heads along with a ring and pinion installed at a friends shop. This guy went on to dominate his class. I never said anything at the track because the setup came out of a friend's shop. The scrutes never figured out what he was doing. Sad thing is he didn't need to go about winning in that fashion. He has a tremendous amount of talent.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The C2 turbo trailing arms interfer with a wide wheel and a 315 will not fit. Switching a C2 Turbo to N/A trailing arms will allow a 12" wide wheel. All factory C2 based racecars were built using N/A trailing arms. The early turbos can run a 11.5" rear.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:06 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

My RSR-flared car fits 315's with 1-inch spacers.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:09 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo I don't want a turbo
Yes you do Yes you do Yes you do Yes you do
Yes you do

Here's another thought. Build a set of custom headers for a turbo with a purposely small/restrictive wastegate circut, which would effectively increase boost over stock on the top end.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess alot depends on who is scrutineering and people in your class looking over cars. I know of two people that ran big blacks and were 'outed' by fellow class competitors.

My favorite memory of 'rules interpretation' was the year that Tom Charlesworth announced at the driver's meeting in Sebring that after lunch, he needed all stock, unprepared, class cars with chips to come and have their chips checked. This was at least a four hour notice. I went to get mine checked (and realized at that point, that I had never looked at the brain to see if the previous owner had put in a chip...it was owned by a doctor and they never modify cars, right?) and asked him if he had caught anybody with an illegal chip (figuring with this much notice, you could switch back to stock). Well, he surprised me when he said that they were batting .500. Needless to say, the next results sheet showed alot of class changes Lesson to be learned-bring you stock chip with you or at least some vinyl tape to change your class lettering.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Dave Parker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All 'G' cars got pulled in for inspection this past year at Putnam Park. They checked things like the intake runners, but their main purpose was to use a bore scope to check pistons and whatever else they could see. I think the primary purpose was to get familiar with the equipment and determine just how much they could see with it. Personally, I'd like to see more of this. I will not 'cheat' and am happy when I do well. I would enjoy a higher level of scrutineering (without actually tearing apart the motor).

Quick Reply: Building a cheater car