Default IRL slowly falling...

http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/21641/
Old 01-21-2006, 04:40 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOOD!

The only thing wrong with CART in the first place was the ownership/management structure. Now it is owned by a small group, not ALL the lunatics. IRL is run by one guy. I think he is a jerk, but the group ownership thing is what almost killed CART, so to that extent Tony George was right. Now that CART is run by a small group, what is there to the IRL?

They run ovals. Exciting... once in a while. CART was the best racing going; partly because of variety and partly because of intense tight competition. Nothing beats a road course for making junk into stars, and stars into junk. It takes more to do it, therefore it makes it more exciting to me. At an oval, you miss the setup by a CH, and you're no where. On a road course you still have a chance to effect the outcome with some good driving and pit strategy.

INDY 500? TG and Indy Car have almost killed it. Even all the CART teams defecting has not brought it back. I don't see it as the big draw it once was. Frankly, I don't really care anymore.

Go CART!
Old 01-21-2006, 04:43 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

That's really too bad. Although I am a stalwart CART fan, having attended the races in the series for many years, including the Laguna Seca race where "the pass" occurred, I had a great time at the IRL Watkins Glen race last fall. But if the good teams do go back to the Champ Car series, then so much the better. One series is enough, and I would rather that Tony George not be calling the shots. IMHO
Old 01-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

IRL. Dana Patrick seems to be its only strong point. F1 or watch something else totally unrelated.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:43 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The ship was sinking as soon as it left the port. TJ was right in that CART had gotten far too expensive, but he seemed to get the rest painfully wrong. Let's hope CART continues to put on a great show. I'm looking forward to their new chassis.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:33 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Slowly? The IRL never took off. Even with all the "best" drivers and teams, nobody was ever watching.

The 2007 Champ Car is beautiful, built by Panoz. Funny how CART has gone full circle and become what Tony George tried to create with the IRL.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Benton
Drifting

Personally, I would be ecstatic if the IRL fell. The only thing I enjoy is the road courses and the last 10 minutes of the 500. CCWS is where it's at, and the management kicks major *** compared to the IRL. My biggest gripe is having to wait for the '07 Champ Car season... hopefully the cars will perform.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:49 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Mario has been quoted saying Michael could very well be back in Champ Car for '07.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
IRL. Dana Patrick seems to be its only strong point.
THAT is a sorry state of affairs. TG doesn't have a race series, he has the Indy 500 (living off its name) and the IMS (historic landmark), that's it. Now it looks like F1 will not return to IMS after 2006.

It's funny watching my 12 year old following racing. He has watched IRL and CART, unaware of the history behind the split. He quickly determined that he would rather be a CART driver than an IRL driver......and he wants to be Michael Schumacher's replacement. Good to be a kid.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

There was a chance this past year to design a car that could run in both series. Robin Miller seems to have a good viewpoint of what is happening and what is wrong with both of these series.

http://speedtv.com/commentary/21526/
Old 01-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Feffman
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IRL was simply Tony George exerting the presence of the Indy 500. Basically a case of the spoiled rich kid with the biggest toy on the block. I for one can't wait until it finally folds. My guess Hodna is going to realize their F1 or (God forbid) eventual NASCAR committments are of greater significance then the IRL.

I'd like to AGR, Penske, etc, back in CCWS and proceeding into the ALMS (as Penske is with Porsche) for two solid series for sports car fans.

Mark
Old 01-23-2006, 12:56 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Penske coming back to Champ Car is not very likely. He is working with Bernie on a new F1 team.

Penske eyes return to F1 Roger Penske is considering making a return to Formula One in 2008, providing the cost of competing is brought down, autosport.com reports.

With the FIA having announced this week the new 'low-cost' regulations that it will introduce from the start of 2008, speculation has been mounting that a number of independent teams are close to giving the green light to joining the sport.

And high-level sources have revealed that Penske boss Roger Penske has already approached Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone and told him that if budgets can be cut to around $80 million (USD), then he is ready to enter the fray.

Max Mosley all but confirmed the Penske approach in an interview with French newspaper L'Equipe, even though he did not specifically name the team.

"At the moment, F1 is too expensive," he said. "A big private team, very well known in America, recently told Bernie: 'We want to join F1, but only if we can do it with a budget of 80 million dollars' - because that is the level at which that team can make a profit. Frank (Williams) is now thinking along the same lines, Ferrari too..."
Unless he wanted to run a team in both series - might be a good way to train his own guys for F1. It would be nice to the Roger back in F1.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:09 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Penske will be in F1 as soon as opperating costs drop below $81 million a year.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:07 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

This is not too surprising given the debut of a new Champ car formula next year. Like Mario said, all it will take is one of the 'big' teams to bolt, the rest will follow. Just like after Roger left (then) CART. Many followed. Acutally, that 'many' were chasing the cash injections of TRD and HPD

Often times the health of a racing series is partially dictated by its feeder or ladder series below it. IPS is pretty much miserable, IMO. With the new Atlantic chassis debut in a few weeks, and 40 cars already sold, looks as though Champ car may be in a better position, at least right now. Better venues (with the exception of the club race at Indy), much improved 'show.' What I mean by 'show' is the whole weekend party that is put-on by Champ car which promotes activities for the whole family. Concerts, car shows, drifting (), games, BMX and supercross jumping ala X-games.

I have been to over 50 champ car events in the last four years and have seen the movement to include the whole family in the race weekend. Especially the races in Canada! City blocks are shut down...way cool!!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:08 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Doesn't matter as long as there is one open wheel series.

I still say the whole IRL split was abbetted if not instigated by the France family to split the market and vault NASCAR to position as the primary racing series in America... which is what happend with spectaular results... there are just too many business relationships between them to believe the France family is a totally uninvolved bystander.

Same thing happened with ALMS and Daytona Prototypes and a new Sprint Car series is in the works to compete with Outlaws.... want to bet some France money is behind it?

A single OW series could challenge NASCAR and the Frances cannot allow that to happen, even if they have to buy IRL and run it as a loss.... it is good business.

Quick Reply: IRL slowly falling...