Sponsored by:

IRL slowly falling...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCP911S
A single OW series could challenge NASCAR and the Frances cannot allow that to happen, even if they have to buy IRL and run it as a loss.... it is good business.
Wow, that would be interesting. :rolleyes" Tube framed OW race cars anyone?

Actually, they exist and are great entertainment (although probably not so much if the France family got them). They are called Supermodifieds and if anyone here has been to Oswego Speedway in Oswego, NY, you KNOW what I'm talking about.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:47 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey George,

Some local boys tell me that a group of Supermodifieds (or something equivalent) were at Daytona for a test-and-tune session a while back. The word is they were kicked out for being "too fast."
Old 01-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I couldn't agree more. TG and the Frances are the axis of evil to good racing in this country. I would love to see a thriving ChampCar series again like the '90's but those two will do their best not to let it happen. It would also take some changes with the current Champcar as their emphasis on street circuits is less than exciting. Dont even get me started on those butt-ugly, ASSCAR inspired Daytona prototypes

I still say the whole IRL split was abbetted if not instigated by the France family to split the market and vault NASCAR to position as the primary racing series in America... which is what happend with spectaular results... there are just too many business relationships between them to believe the France family is a totally uninvolved bystander.

Same thing happened with ALMS and Daytona Prototypes and a new Sprint Car series is in the works to compete with Outlaws.... want to bet some France money is behind it?

A single OW series could challenge NASCAR and the Frances cannot allow that to happen, even if they have to buy IRL and run it as a loss.... it is good business.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gbaker
Hey George,

Some local boys tell me that a group of Supermodifieds (or something equivalent) were at Daytona for a test-and-tune session a while back. The word is they were kicked out for being "too fast."
Wouldn't surprise me.

Have you ever seen the Supermods? If not, and you get the opportunity, jump at it. They are the one oval track car that I would sell a kidney to race. Absolute raw brutal power. Blindingly fast. Supermods and sprint cars have the same roots, but when sprint cars when to mostly dirt, the supermods went to mostly asphalt and became tremendously specialized - especially with the offset "roadster" developed by Jim Shampine. They are like karts with fully developed 454 engines and big honkin' tires.

One of these days I'll get back to Rochester during the summer so I can get to Oswego on a Saturday night. Ah..... the smell of methanol.....
Old 01-23-2006, 05:51 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
...Have you ever seen the Supermods?...
Yes. An outrageously serious piece of racing hardware.

If it doesn't make the car go round in circles faster, it ain't there.

Quick Reply: IRL slowly falling...