Sponsored by:

Mychron gold...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:49 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Mychron gold...

I have a mychron gold and would like to get water temp and oil temp on the display. What do I have to buy and how involved is the install. Also there are a couple of connectors left over from the install. The number on them is R2KO (i have 2). They plug in on one end and a integral nut and bolt of the other.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks, Mike
Old 01-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike,
It would be cheaper to run standard gauges for water/oil and a better use of your 4 ch. on the unit. I have a gold and used the limited ch's. to hook up steering angel sensor, gas pedal position and brake pressure sensors. When sampling data, those will be more important to giving you feedback vs. oil/water temps. The spare temp sensors are most likely exh. temp sensors or manifold temp sensors. Most of the mychrom sensors are pretty easy to install.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:04 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks Eric:

I can mount VDO guages in the console for oil and water temps.

Thanks, Mike
Old 01-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

No problem Mike,
I hooked up the TP,Brake and Steering sensors last season and was really able to learn a lot from them. A great tool if someone else drives your car faster (Jim Child took mine for a spin and I was able to see what a wimp I was T1 at Putnam, picked up a second right there) I put my oil gauge on the roll cage eye level so I did not have to look down to see if my pressure/temp was low. I mounted my MCG in the center vent as it was easy to pull the cables
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2006, 08:41 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Geeesh, Eric, does it make coffee too???
Old 01-13-2006, 09:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My son has a MyChron Gold on his kart.
We run cylinder head (on air cooled engines) or water temperature (on wet engines) on Temp input #1. We run exhaust gas temp on Temp input #2.

Mounting is via brass threaded adapter to exisiting port/hole; or in the case of the EGT, a hole is drilled and a nut welded to the exhaust.

You can program the Temperature Limit LEDs on the left and right side for Low (engine is too cold) and High (engine is too hot, pit in); they will light up and blink.

You can normally find the MyChron sensors available for online purchase.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jerome951
Geeesh, Eric, does it make coffee too???
That is the enduro set up, one timer for pit stop (5 min) one timer for race length (90 min) Race cam video switch, back up lap timer, halon fire system control, ABS reset switch
Old 01-13-2006, 10:41 AM
cdbtx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree, I run standard gauges on my car. I use the Mychron for the Tach/shift display, gear display, and data aquistion and alarming while driving then the standard gauges which I can easily see with my periphial vision.

I'm a simple person and can only do one thing at a time, i.e. either drive or watch gauges..

Chuck
Old 01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Eric

Tell me more about your abs reset switch. Last year at Gingerman, for some reason my abs would shut down. Never really got the problem sorted. At VIR (in the rain) it went out again without warning. As you may know, ABS and then no ABS leads to flat spots in the dry and offs in the rain.

I did swap the relays at CMP and no problems all weekend. However, CMP is smooth. The abs seems to stop working on bumpy tracks (Gingerman and Road AMerica are bumpy in spots in the braking zone). At VIR when I triggered the failure, I felt some bumps under braking (I was where I had not been before on the track). Are bumps what triggers the 944 problems or something else?

Sorry for the highjack.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Hey John,
The ABS reset switch was very easy to hook up, Find the ABS relay in the fuse box, identify the power wire (on mine it was brown and black, skinny wire, not the fat wire). To get to the wires, you must unscrew the fuse panel and lift it up to get to the wires. Cut the power wire and wire in a switch at the dash. I have been using more of the curbs this year and that is setting off the ABS. RA was bad this year, every lap I was flipping the re set switch. I am going to swap the ABS sensors this winter as a little curbing should not trip the ABS, something may be failing. Contact me off line if you need more info as I dont want to hijack Mike's thread
Old 01-13-2006, 02:11 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Actually that's a known problem with the older ABS systems, like in the 944 - not robust against wheel speed sensor noise such as on bumps. Only fix is to install a reset switch...

...or you could learn to drive without it...
Old 01-13-2006, 02:26 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

It is amazing how much I lock the brakes when the abs is down because I never feel the pedal pulse when the abs is working. (I did feel it work one time, but I was going backwards at the time. That's another story altogether)
Old 01-14-2006, 10:32 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric;

You are definitely in the running for the next Back to the Future episode!
Old 01-14-2006, 10:44 AM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh myyyyy!!

Quick Reply: Mychron gold...