Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fired Up the Sawzall - New Project Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 07:11 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
I think designing cages is somewhat like porting heads in that it's easier to screw them up than to improve them.
Universal agreement here! Aside from the logistical issues of tunnels and odd shapped floor pans, why aren't cages built with pair of "X" bars on the floor diagonally between the cage feet? That would support all the cage footings, add huge triangulation to the cage making it really stiff, form a triangulated box instead of just an open box, support the main hoop feet like you want for side intrusion, make a great mounting place for the seat "on" the cage.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Universal agreement here! Aside from the logistical issues of tunnels and odd shapped floor pans, why aren't cages built with pair of "X" bars on the floor diagonally between the cage feet? That would support all the cage footings, add huge triangulation to the cage making it really stiff, form a triangulated box instead of just an open box, support the main hoop feet like you want for side intrusion, make a great mounting place for the seat "on" the cage.
This is how most WRC cages are constructed.

I still personally like the horizontal tube to support the bend in the b-pillar and add strength against side impacts.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:17 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

No problems here, G;

I think you know I meant that as in simplisitic, not simpleton. And you're right. I don't have a clue what that squiggle was about.

You know... you guys and your damned conventions cost me a lot of time and effort today. But... I realized something that tipped the balance. I realized that you guys were really all saying that you loved me and were concerned for my safety. Sorta like when your mother tells you to put your coat on... every 15 seconds. After a while, you just do it. It's only cause she cares, after all.

I was so touched I got out the Sawsall again. Sonzabitches.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
I realized that you guys were really all saying that you loved me and were concerned for my safety. Sorta like when your mother tells you to put your coat on... every 15 seconds.
To know you is to love you John!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:47 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geo
This is how most WRC cages are constructed.

I still personally like the horizontal tube to support the bend in the b-pillar and add strength against side impacts.

I did not know that. What a great thread!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:10 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

snip...But... I realized something that tipped the balance. I realized that you guys were really all saying that you loved me and were concerned for my safety. Sorta like when your mother tells you to put your coat on... every 15 seconds. After a while, you just do it. It's only cause she cares, after all.

Man I read this and bust out in huge laughter. You are a riot. What is "right" I'm not so sure but yeah "safe" is the way to go. After posts from Geo I'm going to add the cross bars on my floorpan one day when I cut out the floor and centrally locate my driving position and add a CF/foam sanwich floor. I'll seriously consider adding the passenger side harness bar. I run with no second seat so no bar here except my harness bar. Thanks GEO.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Geo
Race Director

No problems here, G;

I think you know I meant that as in simplisitic, not simpleton. And you're right. I don't have a clue what that squiggle was about.

You know... you guys and your damned conventions cost me a lot of time and effort today. But... I realized something that tipped the balance. I realized that you guys were really all saying that you loved me and were concerned for my safety. Sorta like when your mother tells you to put your coat on... every 15 seconds. After a while, you just do it. It's only cause she cares, after all.

Attaboy!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Geo
Race Director

FBB, I have GOT to see a photo of your whole car when it's done. I was never certain I would someday own a Porsche. I've just GOT to someday own a Ferrari.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:13 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I realized that you guys were really all saying that you loved me and were concerned for my safety. Sorta like when your mother tells you to put your coat on... every 15 seconds. After a while, you just do it. It's only cause she cares, after all.
John,

You owe me a keyboard. mine has beer in it after reading that.

I love threads like this. I figure in a few years, my bolt in cage will be replaced with a proper cage to the suspension, so I love learning about what people are doing and why.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:01 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

cut,cut,cut,cut,cut....... grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,
grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,
grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,
grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind,grind....

Yep... Sonzabitches.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:50 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Funny you should mention an 'X' in the main hoop. In the latest issue of Excellence magazine, there is an article on a 997 modified by Manthey Motors that has a full cage (it is a street car though). In a picture of the interior, the main hoop appears to be supported by a large 'X', and the belt bar is on the bars going to the rear seat area, putting it in almost the same location that John had his. They refer to it as a modified version of the factory 996 bolt-in cage. Has anyone seen a factory 996 bolt-in cage ( I assume for the GT-3 Clubsport)? Is the belt bar really in the rear seat? Seems an odd way to do it as it leaves a very long shoulder belt length.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:42 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John I question almost everything except Newtonian physics and Euclidian geometry. Conventional thinking is not my M.O.

Good luck with the build! I will be following suit later this summer.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Geo
Race Director

BTW, I just realized I read the question wrong (ADD I guess). My response was wrong. The X is within the main hoop, not across the floor. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:42 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK... it's done;

A transverse bar, which required a new diagonal. Nothing conventional about my conventionalism, though.

I can't wait to hear the uproar about this transverse bar.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:07 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unconventional Conventionalism;

New diagonal and transverse tubes.

The crosstube is sectioned into the tunnel portion of the rear seat base x-member beam.

This is the gussett that reinforces the diagonal tube. Super strong, looks really nice. Hand hammered 14g steel.

Quick Reply: Fired Up the Sawzall - New Project Pics!