Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enclosed Trailer

I was thinking about getting an enclosed trailer - anyone have any thoughts about what to get. 20 ft, 24ft? Should I get one with a generator, wine rack, I mean tire rack Also my current tow vehicle is a chevy tahoe, will I be able to tow a 24ft ATC or similar, or do I need to consider getting a different tow vehicle?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 22' Pace, and I wouldn't go smaller than that. A friend uses a 24', and he can get a 4 wheeler in with his race car. A Tahoe will not pull either one. That friend pulled his 24' with a 1/2 Dodge, and he went through 2 rear ends. He has a 2500 Cummins, and I pull mine with a F250 Ford, gas. You get better mileage with a diesel, but it fuel costs more. But I think a diesel is best, but then again you can buy a heck of a lot of gas for $7,000, and that's what a diesel engine costs over a gas engine. Get as many opinions as you can, then make a decision. An enclosed trailer is great, but it sure as heck costs more than a light open trailer, to buy and pull, and you need a different truck.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 01-09-2006, 11:56 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use a 22' enclosed Milllennium. I had a Yukon XL and it did have difficulty towing especially to the Glen. But it is exceptionally well built. I am towing it with a 2500 Cummins currently. Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:08 AM
78SC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 24 foot enclosed and pulled it a few times with a Yukon and it was not fun. Now have a diesel excursion that pulls it with not problem.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

I pull a 20' Haulmark with a "99" Tahoe and the truck does OK. Used to tow a 18" steel open trailer with a solid plate deck and I dont think there is much weight difference. Of course towing a brick behind you is different then pulling an open trailer. 80K on the Tahoe so I figure the trans will get even with me soon. (LOL)
Old 01-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Am I crazy for thinking about a enclosed trailer vs open trailer. Here's my pro's for the enclosed trailer.

- it's great during the summer with A/C (guess I would need a generator?)
- acts as a back up bed in case of mix up with hotels, has anyone done this?
- can keep all my tires, wheels and tool in one place all the time.
- Keeps the car more secure than an open trailer.

Cons:
- Added expense on fuel economy
- Will have to change tow vehicle.
- Not sure what else.

Open trailer
Pros
- It's easy to lug around,
- Doesnt require a different vehicle
- Easy on the fuel
- All the kids in the back of cars get to see the car as I go past.
- visability, Im able to see everything around me on the road.
- Easier to find somewhere to park.

Cons
- No A/C
- Hard to hang out on a trailer
- doesn't have a fridge for beer..
- Less secure
Old 01-10-2006, 01:35 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, my $0.02. I've yet to see that many people actually use the AC with their enclosed trailers. I have an EZ-Up that provides shade on those days where it's 90+ and it does pretty well without requiring you to go into a box that doesn't have windows. I have a basic Texas Bragg 18' open trailer with a tire rack added. Yes, it's a bigger pain to load/unload all the gear from the ML430 that tows it, but I do fine without a 1/2 ton pickup that would never get driven otherwise. A cooler for Gatorade, water or beer fits fine. However, it is not as secure as an enclosed trailer and offers no protection from the rain (not that that's a problem out here in May-Nov).

However, had I the money, storage space and opportunity to get a big honk'n dually and enclosed trailer, I would. I would just make life easier.

I know some folk who save money by sleeping in their trailers. I never would. I'd rather get a good nights sleep in air conditioned comfort in a decent bed and I often have my wife and our 3 dogs along for company. It's easier to get concurrence for the money that vanishes into the car when she comes along and shares the experience. If it was me off on my own, she would inderstand less and most likely be less supportive.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:40 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you considering a V nose enclosed?

I can tow my 20' Cargopro enclosed aluminum (20' box with 51" V nose) and Cup car with the Cayenne (PASM equipped). Another Cayenne/PASM owner tows an 18' enclosed ATC with V nose, no problems either.

I also tow with my wife's 05 Excursion 6.0l diesel, the biggest advantage is the 44 gallon tank.....I can go non stop from Boston to Watkins Glen and still have 3/8 of a tank when I arrive... the 26 gallon tank on the Cayenne means at least one stop.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:04 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

We have a local guy who regularly runs AC in the summer. (Coffee maker, and a dryer when its wet out also . He has an industrial shower curtain that he pulls across 3/4 of the inside. That way he is only cooling about 8' of the front of the trailer. He runs his generator all day and keeps the door closed when on track. It stays cool enough on 90 degree days.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Boulder GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 78SC
I have a 24 foot enclosed and pulled it a few times with a Yukon and it was not fun. Now have a diesel excursion that pulls it with not problem.
I think good advice on all these threads saying a larger vehicle is needed with an enclosed trailer. Even with an F250 diesel you have to be very cautious. I think a smaller truck could get in trouble in a big hurry. Makes me stay clear of all of the 15K lbs 5th wheels I see being pulled.

Assuming you have good ramps, an open trailer is easier you tie the car to.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:24 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Having had both, I will say the open is easier to load and pull. The enclosed is better because it is also a storage facility. Right now it is full of my summer toys and lawn equipment. Now I have room in the garage to work on the car.

I have slept in my trailer. Last year at Gingerman over the 4th of July weekend. I could not believe how cold it got at night. Anyway, I end up taking anything and everything I think I might possibly need and still have room left over with the 24 ft Pace Pursuit. It is also very nice on the hot or rainy days to have cover. I tow it with an RV now so I have a brick towing a brick. Ford V10 gets about 7 MPG fully loaded. I'd guess I would probably get 9 mpg or so with an open trailer pulled by the RV. It is hard to say since the RV breaks the air and not the trailer.

If you get the enclosed, spring for the weight distribution bars. They are worth their weight in gold IMHO.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

A friend of mine has a 20ft Featherlite STL for sale that if equipped the way he has it would cost 14k new. He wants 6500$. He is JW on the Rennlist.
Thx,
G
Old 01-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I personally think it is easier to load my car our enclosed trailer, I have d-rings set into the floor at the right places and the front straps are made to the proper length so I just drive in, connect the front straps, roll back and ratchet the rear straps. Pretty easy. Unless you've got the 6 litre engine in your Tahoe you'll have some difficulty pulling a steel enclosed trailer. The aluminum models are much lighter but my 24ft Haulmark weighs about 4000 lbs unloaded, so it's over 7000lbs with the car and all the gear. The short wheelbase of the Tahoe isn't ideal for towing either. For me 20ft is too short, 24ft is just right.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:48 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Glen! It's a 24' Featherlite STL. Email me for details:

royalbcat@netscape.net
Old 01-10-2006, 07:30 PM
pieball
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second or third a V-nose enclosed. All the cons with an enclosed trailer boil down to $.

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer