Sponsored by:

DE tech inspections question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 05:05 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DE tech inspections question

Is a person that does 10 events in a season expected to get 10 tech inspections, one for each event?

Also, what if 2 of the events run back to back? (One event Monday/Tuesday and another Wednesday/Thursday.)
Old 01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In short...yes. Most tech inspection forms specify that the inspection must be done 2 weeks prior to the event. So, in your example, I would expect that your shop would sign 2 tech forms, one for the organizers for the event on Monday/Tuesday, and one for the organizers for the event on Wednesday/Thursday.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
In short...yes. Most tech inspection forms specify that the inspection must be done 2 weeks prior to the event. So, in your example, I would expect that your shop would sign 2 tech forms, one for the organizers for the event on Monday/Tuesday, and one for the organizers for the event on Wednesday/Thursday.

IMHO, you shouldn't have one inspection covering two events and two forms.

That said, I've done as you state. I just made sure to really look my car over between events.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:39 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Depends on the organization running the events.

It's not a hassle. It's a good way to help keep you safe.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The answer is "yes". Several times a year I'll go through tech on a Friday morning, run the event, then turn right around and go through tech again that evening for a Saturday/Sunday event. It does not bother me at all.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Carrera
The answer is "yes". Several times a year I'll go through tech on a Friday morning, run the event, then turn right around and go through tech again that evening for a Saturday/Sunday event. It does not bother me at all.
It sure would bother me if I was at Watkins Glen (5 hour drive one way) and I had to do that!!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

It sure would bother me if I was at Watkins Glen (5 hour drive one way) and I had to do that!!
That's because I'm talking about tech. You know, at-the-track-tech. For pre-tech, I'd have the same shop do one inspection, and fill out two forms.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:26 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I'm not referring to the final tech inspection at the track. I'm referring to the one that is supposed to be completed prior to arriving at the track.

Last edited by shiners780; 01-09-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:48 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, one pre-event inspection form per event. Whenever I do two events back to back, I get both forms at the same time. When doing multiple events in a row, it's a good idea to give the car a good look yourself after the first event, and bring a spare set or brakepads.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Yeah, I'm not talking about the final tech inspection at the track. I'm talking about the one that is supposed to be completed prior to arriving at the track.
Yes, that is how I understood the question. CVR (and other Regions around here) do a pre-tech every morning before the sessions start. On a multiple-day session they just ask for the "Tech Inspection" sheet done by your shop the 1st day. On multiple DE's that fall back-to-back you need a Tech form for each.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shiners780
Yeah, I'm not talking about the final tech inspection at the track. I'm talking about the one that is supposed to be completed prior to arriving at the track.
In that case, you should definately have one done for each event, if at all possible.

Last year, NNJR ran two events back to back (Lime Rock Thursday/Friday, Pocono Saturday/Sunday). Since it was impossible for those attending both events to get a tech inspection done between events, we (the tech chairs) had a special tech sticker for the 'dual event' cars. At the morning track side techs, these cars were looked over more closely. Was it as good as a pre-event tech? No. But we did our best to ensure the cars were safe. AFAIK, there were no mechanical-related issues at either event.

The pre-event techs are vital to ensure your car is mechanically sound.

-Z-man, former NNJR track tech co-chair.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:28 PM
agio
Racer

You shouldn't be charged for the tech inspection...you may think it's a bit too much, but you need a tech inspection done at a qualified shop for each and every track event. Then at the track itself a final tech is required.
During and after each track event the car should be looked over by a professional...there is no substitute for safety...we're worth it, aren't you?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by agio
You shouldn't be charged for the tech inspection...you may think it's a bit too much, but you need a tech inspection done at a qualified shop for each and every track event. Then at the track itself a final tech is required.
During and after each track event the car should be looked over by a professional...there is no substitute for safety...we're worth it, aren't you?
FYI: In my region (NNJR) you have two choices regarding tech inspections:
1. Take your car to an NNJR-PCA authorized shop where they will most likely charge you around an hour's worth of labor.
2. Bring your car to the free NNJR sponsored pre-event tech - we have a crew of trained tech inspectors, and we asks the various independant shops if we can use their facilities after hours on a given day (2 weeks prior to the event) and we check out the cars. Along with the inspection there is snacks and drinks, as welll as plenty of bench racing!

I know some other regions have this type of setup, but sadly, less and less regions offer option #2 for their drivers.
-Z.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:55 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
FYI: In my region (NNJR) you have two choices regarding tech inspections:
1. Take your car to an NNJR-PCA authorized shop where they will most likely charge you around an hour's worth of labor.
2. Bring your car to the free NNJR sponsored pre-event tech - we have a crew of trained tech inspectors, and we asks the various independant shops if we can use their facilities after hours on a given day (2 weeks prior to the event) and we check out the cars. Along with the inspection there is snacks and drinks, as welll as plenty of bench racing!

I know some other regions have this type of setup, but sadly, less and less regions offer option #2 for their drivers.
-Z.
Although my region doesn't sponsor #2, my mechanic does. He has tech inspection night for his customers. We show up around 7pm and he goes through the cars for free. No snacks though
Old 01-09-2006, 11:44 PM
DanS911
Pro

I don't know about you but I don't particularly like working for nothing, and if I do I think it should be my choice. To suggess that a mechanic should do your tech inspections for nothing is pretty bold.

Then on the other, hand mine does.

Quick Reply: DE tech inspections question