Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Familiar with the airbag resistor for a 993? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:10 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Familiar with the airbag resistor for a 993? Help?

So I did a good bit of searching last night but came up dry. I am going to be installing a new airbagless MOMO wheel with a quick relelase and need help. What I did learn is that a resistor can be placed in place of the D.S. airbag to fool the system into thinking its still there. Question is......where does the resistor go? No one really went over that part. All that seemed consistant was the use of a 2.9 ohm 1/4 W resistor that could be had at RadioShack. Can someone enlighten me as to how (and where) to install it? It was also mentioned that the entire sys could be bypassed throught the pass. side cover on the hump.....a jumper or something, but I want the pass side to work so thats not an option.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, Bob Brooks added the resistor to his tt when he had it. If you do a search on "viper bob" his signature line has contact information. You could also try posting this on the 993 board.

The 964 has a jumper that can be installed that disables both airbags (I have it on mine), but I don't recall if the 993 shares this construction detail with the 964.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:32 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

Tom is correct, the 993 does not have the bypass on the passenger side of the center tunnel. I've got the part, just nowhere to attach it. I tried.

Now as far as disabling the airbag warning light, I purchased two resistors from a site someone posted on the 993 list. The resistors are pretty small and I just tucked them close to where I spliced the airbag wires. My passenger side resistor just hangs from the connector that would have attached to the airbag. The drivers side is tucked in into the plastic surrounding behind the steering wheel. It's not a plug in thing, you need to cut wires.......

Once I had the system reset, no warning lights come on and the system passes.

George
Old 01-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Are you doing this just to get rid of the light? I removed my bag and just ignore the light.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:21 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No Alan, I don't want the light to come on .....period. I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between the stock and race wheels, and if I can get a handle on the exact resistor, I'll be able to do it. My neighbor is an elec. engineer for a company that manufactures computer boxes for the auto and marine industry, he gave me a catalog that sells any and all resistors. Moral of this story is, is that I found out that there is a variance in the actual resistance that the resistor will give out. Anywhere from 1 to 5 % +/- of the claimed resistance. So those here that have used resistance values other than the apparent 2.9 ohm resistor that's supposed to work (say 2.8 ohm) may have actually have less than 2.8 ohm's by as much as 5 percent (2.66 ohms). So he suggests first measuring the resistance from the bag once disconnected and then geting a resistor slightly higher than that value (to compensate for the variance = 3 ohm [2.85-3.15 ohm]). And apparently a 2.9 ohm is not easy to find. So its possible to place multiple resistors in parallel or sries depending on what size resistor you have..

But thats what I'm up to
Old 01-02-2006, 12:23 AM
bruinbro
Pro

I installed a Momo Apache heel with an SPW quick release hub on my 2000 S Boxster and I used a 3.3 ohm 1/2 watt resistor that I was able to get a the local Fry's Electronics. My understanding (at least with the 986/996 cars) is that the circuit sensitivity to the resistance value isn't that tight, there is a fair amount of leeway in what resistance you use, say 2.2 to 4 ohm. I used the harness going from the connector to the clockspring mechanism and spliced in the resistor. This allows me to use the connector rather than splicing directly to the in-dash harness which will allow for a quick changeback to an airbag wheel if I choose to do so. Make sure you shrink sleeve the resistor to protect it and the solder joint from abrasion and corrosion.

Bro
Old 01-02-2006, 12:50 AM
kary993
Drifting

I just removed the airbag light and turn off the exclaimation light each time I start the car. No big deal really as it makes me check all the lights each time I go out
Old 01-02-2006, 01:04 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
...So he suggests first measuring the resistance from the bag once disconnected and then geting a resistor ...
Sounds like a good idea, but from my experience it won't work. I tried measuring the resistance in my airbag and couldn't get any kind of consistent reading.

Quick Reply: Familiar with the airbag resistor for a 993? Help?