Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German Touring Series 13/13 with Nationals

I just got word the GTS Challenge series has been added for Northern and Southern California! PRC/POC, SCCAPro cars, USTCC, BMWClub cars all qualify. So now TX and CA have been added to the existing East Coast and Mid-West series.

Finally, a 13/13 club series where we can go to Nationals. Mid Ohio in September running with the best of the best in a non-contact environment, this could get good.

Looks like they're still updating the website, gtschallenge.com

I think '06 is going to be a good year.

See you out there.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:07 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes I agree. A good thing. I just hope they enforce the 13/13 so that it doesn't end up turning into a bang-fest like the SCCA Runoffs do at Mid Ohio...

Brian
Old 12-15-2005, 05:08 PM
buzzracer
Rennlist Member

Indeed it will be! The GTS Challenge, hosted by NASA, is entering its 4th full season - and is national. Designed by and for racers who are tired of the politics of other series and want a level playing field. Classes are determined strictly by power/weight ratio, so no need for additional mods.
GTS will also be one the feature events at the National Championships at Mid Ohio next September.

Olivier Raoust
GTS Challenge Director | Mid Atlantic Region
olivier@raoust.com
Old 12-15-2005, 05:15 PM
buzzracer
Rennlist Member

I just hope they enforce the 13/13 so that it doesn't end up turning into a bang-fest
Brian, I didn't mean to imply that the championship will be a bang-fest by saying 'Indeed it will be'. I was responding to the first post actually.

At any rate, GTS takes its modified 13/13 very seriously and will not tolerate over-aggressive track behavior. What is a modified 13/13 you ask? Check out http://www.gtschallenge.com/1313.htm
We believe it to be a fairer, more equitable way without being so punitive.

Olivier Raoust
Old 12-15-2005, 05:22 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wonder if anyone from NASA has talked with any of the tire manufacturers about tire supply during that time of year. I know that generally around then, I have a hard time getting Hoosiers because they are stockpiling them to be sent to the SCCA runoffs?

I wonder if this means we'll need to make sure we get our tires early....

Brian
Old 12-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default 2006 Schedule

Here's what we're looking at for events for the new California Region...

The tentative schedules for The GTS Western Region (Norcal and Socal) are below:

Northern California
Feb 4-5, Infineon Raceway
Mar 11-12, Thunderhill Raceway
Apr 1-2, Thunderhill Raceway
May 27-28, Thunderhill Raceway
Jun 24-35, Reno Fernley Raceway
Aug 12-13, Thunderhill Raceway
Oct 7-8, Infineon Raceway
Nov 11-12, Thunderhill Raceway

Southern California
February 11-12, Willow Springs Raceway
March 10-12, California Speedway
April 8-9, Buttonwillow Raceway
May 6-7, Willow Springs Raceway
June 10-11, Buttonwillow Raceway
July 8-9, Willow Springs Raceway
August 5-6, Willow Springs Raceway
October 14-15, Buttonwillow Raceway
November 11-12, Buttonwillow Raceway

NASA Nationals
September 11-17th, National Championship Event @ Mid Ohio

You must receive points in 5 races in the GTS class to be eligible to run in the NASA Nationals at Mid-Ohio in September.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep one thought in mind, if your region does not have enough cars to run a GTS only class race, you will be running with cars that dont have a 13 rule in effect. I found this out the hard way last year while being forced off the track while lapping a car from another series (spec honda). I later asked the race control and was told that the only way a 13 would be in effect is if 2 GTS cars ran into each other. In Chicago we dont have enough Pcars/BMW's to run a GTS only race class. Be careful out there !

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I emailed our regional director, Jeff Trout, to inquire how this will work for the Western region. I'll post again when he replies.

Austin
Old 12-15-2005, 08:25 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "sportsmanship" 13/13 rule is why I made my decision to go ahead and do NASA's GTS Challenge this year as opposed to PCA club racing. I am NOT looking for the bang fest that exists in other venues. Hp to weight makes so much sense!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 08:50 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
The "sportsmanship" 13/13 rule is why I made my decision to go ahead and do NASA's GTS Challenge this year as opposed to PCA club racing. I am NOT looking for the bang fest that exists in other venues. Hp to weight makes so much sense!!!
PCA club racing has a 13/13 rule too. I did not seen anything I would call a "bang fest" at the races I ran at last year. Every accident I can remember was single driver or mechanical failure.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:59 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please understand I have spent 17 years with the PCA and will continue to do DE's. PCA does in deed have the 13/13, however my issue is slightly different. I can't be competitive with my current car in PCA (88-911 w/3.6), that's why I like the power to weight ratio of the GTS...The bangfest I referred to were other sanctioning bodies...When the day comes that I have a different car, I WILL be racing with PCA!!!
Old 12-16-2005, 02:24 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
Please understand I have spent 17 years with the PCA and will continue to do DE's. PCA does in deed have the 13/13, however my issue is slightly different. I can't be competitive with my current car in PCA (88-911 w/3.6), that's why I like the power to weight ratio of the GTS...The bangfest I referred to were other sanctioning bodies...When the day comes that I have a different car, I WILL be racing with PCA!!!

What times do you post? If you can run in the 2:12 range at the Glen, you'll still have fun in that car (even in PCA GT2S or R).
Old 12-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

These are some great rules btw, nice to see.

C. Contact caused by the mechanical failure of one or more cars
Typically there will be no fault found with any driver involved, and no probation will be filed against any driver.

D. Racing incidents where no drivers involved feel anyone was at fault.
In wheel to wheel racing, it is inevitable that incidental contact will take place. In these cases, where no drivers involved in the incident feel anyone is at fault, no probation will be filed against any of the involved drivers.

also notice the single car incident comment, very very good.

2.0 Promoting Sportsmanship

To promote both clean and competitive driving, we will be racing under a Modified 13/13 rule. The intent of the modified 13/13 rule is to provide some degree of protection against casual body damage and contact by careless drivers, but without excessive or blind rulings. In multiple-car incidents details, accounts, and evidence will be reviewed to assess fault. Sanctions against offending drivers will be imposed on a sliding scale subject to discretion of the officials. Drivers in single car incidents will not be subject to sanction. 13/13 rule may vary slightly from region to region. An entrant can obtain a copy of a regions 13/13 rule at every event or via email from the regions GTS officials.

Sounds like I will need to run some of these events soon.
Thank You for the heads up.
Merry Christmas everyone,
Glen
Old 12-16-2005, 10:48 AM
buzzracer
Rennlist Member

The fundamental philosophy of the GTS Challenge is to offer an alternate racing format where racers from PCA, BMWCCA, SCCA and other groups can come together and compete head to head, measuring their german machines against a much broader and varied field. Did I mention we do this in a low-stress, non-political environment? You bet we do!

Olivier Raoust
GTS Challenge Director | Mid Atnatic Region
Old 12-16-2005, 11:24 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Glen,

I had actually already decided I was going to run some NASA races next year. I was planning on running in SUO with the F355 Challenge. I would love to see GTS series. I guess I need to talk to my BMW friends.

George

Quick Reply: German Touring Series 13/13 with Nationals