Sponsored by:

Advice for Those Contemplating Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bull
$20k for racing in crowded, competitive fields isn't CHEAP??????
I guess everyone has their own definition of cheap.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:36 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the grand scheme of racing, I'd say $20k to be in the front of the field isn't too bad. You can have a heck of lot of fun racing in a $10K car in the middle of the pack in spec miata.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Td, you have received some excellent advice. I am new here but not new to racing or 944's. I especially agree about situational awareness and track knowledge. I dont know you but from other posts it seems that you are very competenet and on pace. Be aware that you will experience several who are not and dont belong in a race. If you go PCA you will find "I" class to be very competitive at most venues. I find at almost every race. however, that there are H, G and occasionally F cars that are not on pace and are even dangerous. I have had many a race ruined by a higher class car that had "horsepower disease: fast in a straight line, slow as sh*it in the corners" In regard to another post here, I find it very poor form to have a higher class or HP car and "race" a slower car. There is nothing worse than having a good battle with a car in class only to come upon a slower, higher class car that gets between you. Stay clean until you get rid of your rookie stripes and have fun!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
In regard to another post here, I find it very poor form to have a higher class or HP car and "race" a slower car. There is nothing worse than having a good battle with a car in class only to come upon a slower, higher class car that gets between you.
Let me clarify. If you are driving an A class Carerra GT and are holding up a K class 914, then yes, it is bad form to race them. However, if you are driving an E class 964 and racing against a F class car, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. I also see nothing wrong with someone who has a uncompetitive GT car who wants to race people in a lower class.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:22 AM
camber799
Advanced

Originally Posted by prg
From what I've seen, formula atlantic (at least a competetive one) is a quantum leap in operating cost from the other purpose built cars you've mentioned. I bought a first generation formula mazda as my first racecar after studying the options. Bullet proof motor. Stoutly built car for an open wheeler (it tolerates the inevitable off course excursions without buying new suspension parts). For the local races, the extent of my fiddling consists of softening or stiffening the rear bar to get the balance right on the car. The car is 2-4 seconds a lap slower than a Ralt RT-41 Atlantic at my local track for about 1/3 of the cost to operate (also 2 seconds quicker than a very well driven local 996 cup car). The most important factor is that there are some other cars to race at the local track every month. Before building/buying a car, you need to make sure there are plenty like it to race with. (Preferably without having to tow 500 miles to find them.) It's no fun to win a class of one. Conversely the most fun I've ever had racing, was a dogfight with two other cars over 20 laps (fighting for the honor of 7th place.) As long as there are plently of cars in class, you can be assured of having someone to compete with. The fun is in the competition, winning is nice but it isn't essential to having a great time at the racetrack. My $.02.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably buy a spec miata. Huge fields make for fun racing in a cheap car. You just have to bring some knitting along so you have something to do on the straights.
I think that you're probably right. SM seems like a great series. I usually think that the cost of the car really isn't a part of the equation. You have to choose a car based upon your maintenance budget. Establish your annual budget and that will help you choose the car. The answer may not be as cool as buying the cool car. But you probably will be able to run it.

The SM will be VERY cheap compared to a FM. I have a friend who raced a Formula Continental. Every time he made contact with anything the suspension would shears off cost him $5k to rebuild!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:32 AM
camber799
Advanced

Originally Posted by RJay
Gave it away there dude.
Hey RJay, was wondering how long it would take to get back at me for the shift comment.

Originally Posted by RJay
:Then how the hill err.. hell do you explain your success?
Don't you know it. 3 firsts and 5 2nd places in four months. If I keep this up I might get confused for someone who knows what he is doing.

and...

We dyno'd the car and it's only pulling 75hp at 5600! Still managed to set chassis/class record at WGI too! If we get this POS running right we'll have to hand out Tums!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:35 AM
camber799
Advanced

Originally Posted by prg
In the grand scheme of racing, I'd say $20k to be in the front of the field isn't too bad. You can have a heck of lot of fun racing in a $10K car in the middle of the pack in spec miata.
This is what is great about having such large fields of "equal" cars. If you stink you have someone to race in the back. If you're good you're racing in the middle. If you're great you're in the front.

Same deal with budget.

There is great potential for growth with SM. Same deal with SRF.

Quick Reply: Advice for Those Contemplating Racing