Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for Those Contemplating Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005 | 09:56 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Default Advice for Those Contemplating Racing

All this talk about DE vs. Racing has me thinking: what advice do you racers have for those newbies contemplating the jump into racing?

I gave myself a birthday present and used my amex miles to sign up for Skip Barber 3 day racing school at Laguna Seca for a total cost of $0. Not a bad deal. I also plan on attending the NASA racing school early next year. If I get my license, then I would be eligible to start racing with '44 cup, which seems like a fine place to start with a great group of guys.

There are many posts on what newbies to DE should know. What about those who are new to racing? What do you want to tell us new guys? What do you wish someone had told you before you started?

I have been thinking about this issue a lot. Among other things, I will be rebuliding two engines this winter. One I will rebuild myself to PCA stock specs (my "spare" motor). One will be rebuilt by a shop to SCCA ITS specs. In my discussions with the shop, we addressed issues of ethics and rules. I know that there will always be those who cheat by using mods that are difficult to detect, but I am choosing not to do that. I suck as a liar (I am a great guy to invite to poker games ), and if I ever do become fast, I want to know that I am faster than the other guy because I drove better, not because I cheated.

In the end, my view is that racing is a game, albeit an expensive and dangerous game (but many adult games are). As a game, racing should be fun. Fun doesn't necessarily mean that I must make it to the podium right away (or indeed ever) in the quest for a plastic trophy. In fact, the desire to make it to the podium "could" suck some of the fun right out of it (don't get me wrong, I am as competitive as the next guy). However, when racing ceases to be fun, I doubt that I will participate any longer.

In light of this view, I want to make sure that I am "not" the rookie that everyone talks about or who causes "problems" on the track. Apart from asking questions, I plan to keep my mouth shut, watch, listen and learn. That's why I started this thread. Tell me and the other guys who are thinking about racing what you think we should keep in mind.

Thanks,

TD

Last edited by TD in DC; 11-29-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2005 | 10:12 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Just as in DE, in order to not be the guy that gets in the way, you need to be predictable. Unlike DE, you NEED to look in your mirrors when entering turns. In fact, you need eyes in the back of your head! Track awareness is key to being safe when racing.

I did a NASA racing school when I made the transition. Learninig and practicing starts was a great part of their program. Alot of mistakes happen at the start and for me, it is the most stressful part of the race.

Have fun and try not to take it so seriously (from a competitive standpoint) and racing will be a blast.
Old 11-29-2005 | 10:22 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by TD in DC
All this talk about DE vs. Racing has me thinking: what advice do you racers have for those newbies contemplating the jump into racing?

<snip>

In light of this view, I want to make sure that I am "not" the rookie that everyone talks about or who causes "problems" on the track. Apart from asking questions, I plan to keep my mouth shut, watch, listen and learn. That's why I started this thread. Tell me and the other guys who are thinking about racing what you think we should keep in mind.
My advicve to you Todd is both feet in. Not as in spinning, but as in, forget dipping a toe into it. Just jump straight in. You have the right mind set and IMHO you are more than ready. DE can do only so much to prepare you. Racing is a different animal and something that you simply learn by doing. You're ready. Go for it. I was thinking last week of trying to talk you into racing. You will NOT be the guy out there causing problems

As for actual advice, I would tell you that preparation is everything. If you get that down, everything else will come. If your preparation lacks, the rest may or may not come and usually only with a struggle.

Glad to hear you're going for it.
Old 11-29-2005 | 10:25 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by mitch236
Alot of mistakes happen at the start and for me, it is the most stressful part of the race.
That's the most stressful part for everyone. I read about a study done some years ago where they instrumented some F1 drivers and they recorded heart rates over 200 at the start! Even today I can sit back, close my eyes, and imagine the start of a kart race and my chest will start pounding and my breathing become more shallow.
Old 11-29-2005 | 10:32 AM
M758
Race Director

I have seen many new folks transition in to racing driving a 944.

In general the move is smooth. The real key you need to be very comfortable on the track in and traffic. You need to have down cold basics of driving. This means braking, turning, etc. During a race there is little time to worry about the basics as you out there racing. What this does is leaves your mind open for the situational awareness Mitch talked about.

Second, and this is an odd one... "We you start racing realize that even in equal cars some guy may blow by you down a straight not from HP (or cheating), but due to better corner exit speed. It sadly has been a common concern among new 944 spec drivers. They see the "veterans" littlerally blow buy them on track. From inside their car it looks like that guy must have 15-20 more hp and must be cheating to get there. Well the truth is that the new racers are usally under driving the car in the corners. That is so say slowing down more than needed were as the verertan is carrying HUGE, CRAZY, INSANE speed through the corners. I actually like it when I get caught by a newbie in practice and have to drag race to the next corner. That really shows them that I may in fact have LESS hp than they do. Point here is these simple little 944 can be driven very fast and no mater how fast you are in DE there are some race guys who a much faster. Understand this and you racing days will fun.
Old 11-29-2005 | 10:59 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Another thing that you can do in DEs is to practice "off line" driving so that you can get used to it. You will be doing it a lot in racing. Try braking down the inside, and hit the apex so that you pick up the line and don't blow all your exit speed. Try driving the outside of turns, once again trying to keep up your exit speed. Unlike DEs, the situations in racing can be unpredictable, and the more experience that you have to draw from, the easier (and safer) it will be. Just imagine running in a pack of cars side by side at Summit Point through turn 1-2, up through wagon bend, and down the chute! Only at the hairpin do things get sorted out. Now imagine it in a GT3 Cup Car! You'll love it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-29-2005 | 11:09 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

I am thinking about prepping my car for E or D in late 06 or 07. Where I got the bug a little is running DEs w/ NASA and Mazda. Instructors can pass in corners (with point bys) and we often do. I was a little freaked the first time someone gave me a point-by in T6/7 at SPR, but I got use to it quick. It is still definitely NOT racing, but is good offline practice and traffic management.

Todd, I would also try some NASA DEs in Group 3 where there is also passing in corners w/ point bys.
Old 11-29-2005 | 11:43 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is a timely thread. I'm currently looking into what's involved in getting into Club Racing (first race being the '06 Mosport race). The first thing is looking at how my non-stock car will be classed, although it looks like I may have a very uncompetitive GT car
Old 11-29-2005 | 12:16 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

I must assume from this thread that it is the season to consider CR for the upcoming season. I am in the same quandry. Considering it, however I need to make a car changeand don't know if I am ready to do that. I did a 3.6 conversion and that makes me in an uncompetitive class as well. I am looking at other racing venues as well as 944 spec series. So, Todd, I may be right there with you. Buckle up, it may get bumpy...
Old 11-29-2005 | 12:33 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

A couple things from my first year.

Get the best car you can find - not the closest, cheapest or prettiest. What I mean is the best combination of fresh consumables, a good spares package,up to date safety equipment and fast. You will spend more money than you can believe as it is and there will be an intense learning period at the beginning. If you're spending too much time trying to keep a clunker running it will be a distraction from racing. Some cars will come with stacks of wheels, tires, brakes, lubes, filters etc. They may even throw in a spare gearbox, engine, race radio set etc. to make the deal

Get good help at the track - preferably a race experienced mechanic who will help you form a competitive team, be your mentor and that voice on the radio. If you're doing everything yourself it is really disconcerting to find yourself tiring at the end of a race even though your in good shape - but tired from schlepping tires around the paddock all morning. If you don't have help then do everything you possibly can before you get to the track - that's a good rule even with help too.

Read some old Carol Smith books( I know they're all old) - "Drive to Win" and "Tune to Win". Others will some recommend some good books for sure.

Get in good shape.

Find out what it costs to run competitively in your prospective class. Make friends with guys already doing it and they'll tell you what their budget is.
Double that - only kidding a little. You will always get outspent but you need to make sure you can afford to be competitive in your class. Marry someone who's relatives have warehouses full of tires. Or, get a light, lower HP car that is reasonable on tire use.

Go race - don't crash. Have fun and good luck.
Old 11-29-2005 | 12:39 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sleder
I must assume from this thread that it is the season to consider CR for the upcoming season. I am in the same quandry. Considering it, however I need to make a car changeand don't know if I am ready to do that. I did a 3.6 conversion and that makes me in an uncompetitive class as well. I am looking at other racing venues as well as 944 spec series. So, Todd, I may be right there with you. Buckle up, it may get bumpy...
yep, mine's a 3.4L with a modified gearbox, so it won't be in 'F', although my times at Mosport will have me running with the 'E' and 'F' guys. Maybe we need a group buy on 3.2L
Old 11-29-2005 | 01:49 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

TD,

Find a great mentor. PCA was encouraging the concept when I started and even if you don't start in PCA, having a mentor is extremely useful to the newbie racer. Mine was Cris Brady ... a really outstanding mentor who helped me enormously ... and I think Cris is racing his 944 now.
Old 11-29-2005 | 02:15 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

1) I would definitely try to do ay least one DE that allows passing in the corners (Traquest, Chin, NASA...)

2) Start practicing looking in your mirrors now. Look before every single corner and do it every lap.

3) Practice driving offline. When you pass someone at a DE, stay inside and don't track out. When you're getting passed, stay on the outside. This will help make the whole passing in the corners thing a non-issue.

4) At your first race, your goal should be not to crash or cause anyone else to crash. Forget about placing well. Do every practice session.

5) The start is the best part of the race. Don't try to win the race in the first corner. Stay about a car length back from the guy in front, look way ahead, check your mirrors often and remember to start your stopwatch (so you know how much longer the race is).

6) Most of all, have fun!
Old 11-29-2005 | 02:19 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll be joining the rookie ranks this year too! I'll attend a couple of race/licensing schools and jump on in. I've had some very good mentors that helped me keep my head on straight.

Have fun!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2005 | 02:53 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I gave myself a birthday present and used my amex miles to sign up for Skip Barber 3 day racing school at Laguna Seca for a total cost of $0. Not a bad deal.
First of all...how did you do that? Please share

What do you wish someone had told you before you started?
Well...what I wish that someone told me is to buy the most competitive car in the class that I wanted to race in. Also someone to have said that there is a LOT of cheating going on at PCA. What else I would have liked to be told is that PCA does not care about costs and expenses , so running there it quickly becomes a huge money pit. To make a "stock" car competitive you have to sell your organs in most cases and cheat a bit. It is what people call using the politically correct expression "a well prepared car".
I wish my friend Robert would have started racing his SRF sooner and I wish I would have listened to him If one wants to run between equals and evaluate honestly what kind of driver he/she is, there is not a better place to do that, plus its much more cost effective than running a "well prepared car" in order to hopefully mix it and have fun.
I also wish that someone would have told me not to race at Sebring. This way I would have sold my money pit and gotten myself a 944 or go on a huge diet and fit in an SRF.

I may sound a bit bitter, but I'm disillusioned by PCA. Before I started I believed that our organization would actually care for its members, but I have found the opposite. I have yet to see any of my emails answered. Even to say thank you for your comments... Don’t get me wrong there are some really great people at PCA , like the registrar she is a first class lady. Maybe the whole system is wrong. I don’t know. Maybe because I drive a 993 and there is a witch hunt now on them, I don’t know.
I wanted to race with the Porsche club because I thought that it would not be bumper cars and I would have a decent chance of getting myself and my car in one piece at the end of the weekend. Well I'm past that stage with a very expensive accident under my belt. It seems that the big races now days have a lot of carnage, maybe some people think they are racing at LeMans or something and pull totally unnecessary bonehead moves. I guess the T/Shirt given at the race was very prophetic. It has a quote on the back from Derek Bell: "In racing always assume that the other drivers are bloody idiots"

On the positive side of things there is no greater rush to mix it in with some great fellow racers on the track, racing in an aggressive but respectful manner.
Besides my crash, I had soooo much fun at Sebring mix it in with 2 other racers, lap after lap of close racing which made up for everything that happened at the end...

I know many may disagree with what I said, but hey you asked the question and I gave you my own personal opinion

Good luck and I hope to meet you at a track event.

Quick Reply: Advice for Those Contemplating Racing