Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to recline an unbolted stock 996 seat without the electricals.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to recline an unbolted stock 996 seat without the electricals.

When the stock seats were removed by my mechanic they had been tilted too far forward. I am trying to use the stock seats for a different setup, and without the electricals is there a manual way to recline it back.
Thanks
Jeeva.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just re-power the seat from a battery charger and drive the seat to it's desired position?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Where will the charger hook up,...there is a socket that was unplgged from the bottom which does'nt have a clear +/- to hook up a charger. If there is no other way, i may have to unbolt the gt3 seats and plug it in to recline. Hopefully there is some other way of doing it.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad that you didn't ask this last week, I just re-installed the factory seats for the winter. Anyway, IIRC the harness has either one or 2 fat red wires (the positive leads) and a fat brown or black wire. That should be the negative. Worst comes to worst, all that should happen is that the motor will run opposite from the direction that the switch is pushed.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:55 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Exactly as Larry said. I bought a pair of 993 seats for my SC with no wiring and no battery charger. I slung wires over the fender to the battery just to move the tracks to a position I could install them in. You will have to clip something to the plugs (if it's male) or stuff something the holes (if it's female) I can't recall. You may want to pop the harness open carfully to confirm which wires are which. It'll snap back together.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

WOW, thanks guy's for the quick help...I'll open the harness tonight and check it.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Larry, I tried it and it did not work. As you said the adptor has a red wire and brown wires going into two male parts inside the adaptor (the two brown and the one red wire on the left in picture 1). I hooked up my car battery to the two male parts (the two male parts on the left end of the adaptor in picture 2) via a slender nail. The chair did not move, hopefully the sparks did'nt fry anything. I did not take the adptor apart. I think the wires on the right of picture 1 that goes into the four smaller pins in picture 2 controls heat so I did nothing to them. Am I doing the correct thing.

Thanks for your help Larry.

P.S: The white male part that is close to the two metal male parts inside the adaptor is rubbery, I dont know why that's present.
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Jeeva,

The seat won't move just because you put the power to the pins, you still have to use the switches on the seat.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I used the switches on the seat with the power on (rather I had my wife try all the switches).....it still did'nt move.

If you guy's think it should work, I'll try to set it up in a way so I can try the whole thing on my own. I may even cut the wires before it reaches the adaptor and hook it up directly to the jumper cables. I can always tape it back together. But I want to make sure I am messing with the correct wires. i don't want to try to take the adaptor apart as it does'nt seem to seperate easily and may break.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

It's a pretty simple circuit. There is a Red/Violet wire that powers heated seats, a Red wire that powers the motor, and one or two brown wires. I see three pins in your picture, these should be the colors on them. If there is more than one brown wire, try the other one. It looks like they are jumpered on the car side, not the seat side. And as Larry said, the penalty for reversed polarity is backwards motion.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:46 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

If by "adaptor" you mean the plug on the seat, it actually comes apart fairly easily.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I had the seatback on the floor when I tried it, maybe the motor is not powerful enough to work when it's lying aginst the concrete and having to push the entire seat bottom up. so, I'll try to dis-assemble the plug and try it gain.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2005, 12:02 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Get a set of alligator clips at Radio Shack. Get a needlenose pliers and grab the two male connectors you need and pull them out so you have room to attach alligator clips. Insulate so they don't touch. Most gator clips have a rubber sleeve you can slide down. Attach the other end of the clips to whatever you're using for power. Good connections are a must, it's a powerful circuit, a 20 amp fuse. I don't know what you mean by a slender nail, but I'm betting good connections with the gator clips will do it.

Porsche likes overkill. It's hard to tell in the photos but it looks like there's two grounds. Connect them to the same alligator unless they both go to the same male connector.

If you cut it. SOLDER, don't tape it back. Ask me how I know. Just ask me.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:38 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jeev;

Do you have the memory seat option? The seat motors drive through the memory computer, not the normal seat harness on the floor.

Ask me how I know?
Old 11-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I don't have memory seats but I tried the alligator clips and it still did not work, so I am thinking it has to be driven via a different connection and not the seat harness. But what could it be ???? I think Patrick has the schematics and is looking it up for me. Anyone else have any other ideas.

P.S: DAMN I HAVE MEMORY SEATS, NEVER REALLY USED IT SO FORGOT ABOUT IT.

So, John how exactly does it work, do I have to hook it up to the car to recline or is there any other way.

Last edited by Sanjeevan; 11-29-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: How to recline an unbolted stock 996 seat without the electricals.