Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber

Does anyone know of any books or websites that have any info on the process of laying and making parts out of Carbon fiber?

I am completely niave about the details. I envision it to be somewhat like making parts out of fiber glass only you need to bake carbon fiber parts. Anyone here have any insight?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:26 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Twenty-five years ago the components were brought together in clean rooms by guys wearing white lab coats and then cooked in an autoclave under elevated pressures and temperatures. Today you can do it in your garage.

Can't help with references, though. Sorry.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Did garages get cleaner?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

There's a pretty good DIY book called Competion Car Composites, I think it was written by Simon McBeath, they've got it at Amazon. Part of a whole practical racing series, 4 books they all start with Competition Car (preparation, suspension, downforce, and composites) and they're all good books.

This is a good book if you want to understand how to make stuff using composites, but it doesn't really cover how to design and analyze composite parts (you'll need an engineering book for that - I've got a couple of those too but they aren't really going to be of any use to someone without an engineering background).

There is a small airplane builder with some how to videos that are supposed to be great, I'll post a link if I can find it.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's basically the same as fiberglass. You want to select a resin based upon your intended use. If you are going to make something structural you'd probably still want to autoclave it.

I have a decent book on working with all manner of composites, but I cannot remember the title or author at the moment. I can try to find it when I get home.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:58 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kool
Did garages get cleaner?
Not mine!
Old 11-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

http://www.synapsemotorsport.com/

check out the carbon fiber tutorials in the upper right hand corner.

-J
Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 PM
HMotorsports
Rennlist Member

nice tutorials...Thanks!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

It's not about the cleanliness of the garage, it's about the integrity of the part. The stuff you can make in your garage is mostly cosmetic. The stuff that is made in an autoclave is serious structural, like helicopter blades.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:43 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

You can do low resin to fiber ratio parts in your garage with vacuum infusion. You don't have the same exotic resins available that you do with prepregs but the list is getting smaller everyday. Several companies (Airtech is one) have kits that include just about everything you need except for the vacuum pump. Those are available from companies like Bestech, they make the SaveVac models that are available for less than $300 brand new and will pull 29Hg all day. I've done some pieces (john deere tractor foot base, 964 engine tin, etc.) with thermoset polyurethane and its not that difficult at all it, like everything else it just takes some practice. If you are on a budget you can even get away with using a Foodsaver seal-a-meal but those will only work for applying pressure to the bag. They aren't strong enough for infusion. If you are hoping to do exterior automotive pieces than check out Cytec, over the summer they came out with some infusion resins that are tough enough for a daily driver although I'm sure you can probably getaway with other resins, the Porsche aftermarket does.

There is a good list of companies/suppliers HERE. Another place to checkout is the composites forum at Engineering Tips.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Wow awesome guys.

I don't really know what I was going to make I just wondered what is involved. Maybe I'll make a fuse box cover or something for a first try.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:18 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I have done some rude garage made pieces just like fiberglass. It is pretty easy to find compatible foam core, polyester resins and CF cloth. However, my last CF order got shot down because the military is using all the CF cloth! That was as of 2 mons ago from aircraft spruce. Even a used refrigorator compressor can pull 29 hgs so you can do some decent vacum bagging. The critical thing is just like Fglass the mold. Homemade structural is best done fiberglass/CF composite. My skills are not that good. That nice CF look on cosmetic parts is just sanded CF part followed by a couple layers of quality clearcoat. Some clears are so good that they have an anti-dusting property when you spray them. So the overspray dust looking parts from the atomized clear blend cleanly into the part after a few minutes for a no color sand final finish. Cheap clears will orange peel and then you need to do like a car body color sand, compound, polish for shine.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Grassroots Motorsports had a complete article on do-it-yourself CF last summer (sorry - don't know the date as I didn't keep the issues). Everything from making the molds to laying it up, bagging, and trimming, etc.

Check their website for back-issue availability.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:04 PM
ryssyr
Rennlist Member

you can also do a web search on surf board shaping. there is a lot of history there on how to prep your foam core or mold as well as laying up the resin on your substrate. i've done a couple of surf boards w/ carbon fiber just as an experiment to see if i could make a really strong one. lots of fun and a pretty cool hobby.

you can get some free resin samples from dow just by calling customer support and asking.

just be prepared to ventilate whatever space you are using! and protect your floors, the resin will really muck up a nice garage or workspace.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts
Default carbon fiber

try fibreglast: http://www.fibreglast.com/

I make a lot of parts in my garage. I use carbon fiber, carbon/kevlar and kevlar. I buy materials from TAP Plastics and Aerospace Composite Products which is near where I live. I have their vac baggin setup which works well. My next projects are winglets/dive planes and a new rev of my cold air box design.

- Mike

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber