Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche RS Spyder with livery debut

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 11:40 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So we can see it in action on speed tv on october 16th at 1pm? I can't wait!
Old 10-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
re: passenger seat/compartment:

...Some prototype rules in the past required you carry a spare tire. Some required you provide for a standard set of luggage.
There's a good (even if unconfirmed) story about the first time the ACO scrutineers looked at the Toyota GT-One. Paraphrasing...

Scrutineer: "Show us the luggage compartment."

GT-One Engineer: "OK. This is the luggage compartment."

Scrutineer: "That's not the luggage compartment. That's the fuel cell."

GT-One Engineer: "Yes. The fuel cell is *in* the luggage compartment."
Old 10-08-2005, 01:05 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the clarification guys. I guess it might work well to provide thrill rides at sort of like they do with open wheel tandem cars. I would rather sit side by side with a pro rather than behind them. Well actually I think I would just prefer the driver's seat.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:37 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by macnewma
This may have been answered before or it may be a stupid question but why does there appear to be a passenger seat area?
Fractured history of LeMans, replete with inaccuracies and generalizations....but...

initially LeMans was for "production" cars. Particularly beginning in the 50's, the prestige of LeMans win encouraged MFGs to push the rules (imagine that!!!).

"Cheater" cars...(can you spell F-E-R-R-A-R-I!) were being entered that were not production.... so homologation rules were instituted that cars has to have minimum production quantities (check the history of the Ferrari 250 GTO to understand how well "homologation" rules worked in practice).

Now, the ACO recognized that the most exciting cars were not anything but "pure" race cars, but understood that they were the show... so they bent the rules to allow "prototypes" that were ostensibly the next generation of production cars. These had much looser homologation production, but did have to at least look like real sportscars (even though both sides knew it was a bit of a sham...the theory was the the MFG has the "intention" of building it to homologation levels at some time in the future....)...

So the prototypes still had to have passenger seats and have room for a standard set of ACO "luggage"... even the 917 had a small rack in the engine compartment for that set of luggage... (I'm still waiting for the production 917 to be launched.....)

BTW....

Actually, the 917 was a trojan horse. In 1970, the ACO re-structured the rules to limit prototypes to 3.0 liters. (The fact that the French Matra team had just launched an extremely fast 3.0 lite car, obviously had nothing to do with the ACO's decision...) 5.0 litre cars were required to be production cars with homoligation production of 50 cars in the year...

Porsche calculated that they needed 50 cars to run the full season anyway and did a crash program to build them... there is a famous picture showing all 50 917 lined up for homologation approval...

As it worked out, Ferrari petitioned to get the 512 approved and this was approved even though Ferrari never got close to building 50 512s... but the ACO realized that they needed a competitior... and a great chapter of racing history was written..

So credit the great race cars like the C and D Jags, MB 300SLR, and 250 Testa Rosa to those rules....complete with passenger seats and "luggage" compartment.

"Prototype" of course today has become synonomous with pure race car, but the roots go back to good old cheating back in the 50's...
Old 10-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Fractured history of LeMans, replete with inaccuracies and generalizations....but...

Awesome job!
Old 10-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

The color combo works well but, IMO, the design and use of the colors, along with the graphics, are not very effective or bold.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:33 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming back from Summit this weekend I saw two Penske transporters stopped at the rest stop on the turnpike outside Carlisle heading West.... DHL/Porsche on the side! Makes me think there is more than 1 car and I bet they're heading to the west coast for R&D.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Al P.
Pro

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Penske Porsche Set for Laguna Seca Debut
Written by: News Wire
Atlanta, Ga. – 10/6/2005 The Penske Porsche will sport its new DHL Global
Mail livery at Laguna Seca. (Porsche photo)

Under the direction of Penske Motorsports, Porsche rolls out its next
generation, state-of-the-art LMP2 prototype as it prepares for its 2006
assault on the American Le Mans Series. Porsche factory drivers Sascha
Maassen and Lucas Luhr will drive the new cars, which makes its debut at the
ALMS finale, the Oct. 15 Monterey Sports Car Championships at Laguna Seca.
The car had originally been scheduled to debut at ast weeend's Petit Le Mans
a Road Atlanta.

DHL Global Mail today announced that it had signed on as the primary sponsor
of the effort.

“We are excited to be associated with Porsche, as we are both known and
share a passion for high-quality, reliability at any speed and solutions
that fit our customers’ needs. Our goal is to use this platform to help
build our customer relationships in a meaningful way,” said Joe Phelan,
President and COO, DHL Smart & GlobalMail. “A recognized car brand like
Porsche together with the highly professional team of Penske Motorsports is
a perfect fit to a worldwide leading logistics provider like DHL.”

Commissioned by Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA) and Porsche
Motorsport North America for racing customers who compete in the LMP2 (Le
Mans Prototype 2) class of the ALMS, the Porsche RS Spyder features a
completely new Porsche engine, transmission, and chassis, all incorporating
the latest in Porsche automotive technology and created to conform to new
2006 Le Mans 24 Hours rules and regulations of the Automobile Club de
l’Ouest (ACO).
What you most likely saw was them heading for Laguna Seca and the debut. You should have asked to peak inside
Old 10-10-2005, 10:21 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed Al, I didn't realize that race was this coming weekend... can't wait!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJR911
Coming back from Summit this weekend I saw two Penske transporters stopped at the rest stop on the turnpike outside Carlisle heading West.... DHL/Porsche on the side! Makes me think there is more than 1 car and I bet they're heading to the west coast for R&D.
I'm aware of two chassis. In Europe, both tested together on at least one occasion. Then, one tested here at Road Atlanta on two separate weekends. The other, ostensibly, became the debut race chassis and has the newly liveried bodywork. Only one of the two will race this weekend at Laguna Seca. Both are likely on the transporters.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:40 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I heard a rumor that they were doing 1:12's at Road Atlanta which would have put them right there with the R8, but the new Audi diesel LMP1 will be faster than the R8.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:38 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

I would like to see a throwback to Rothmans & Löwenbräu for a race or two.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by carreracup21
I heard a rumor that they were doing 1:12's at Road Atlanta which would have put them right there with the R8, but the new Audi diesel LMP1 will be faster than the R8.
They did not run that fast during the Fri/Sat test a week before Petit Le Mans, but I similarly heard (mid-high) 1:12s during their first test there a couple weekends earlier. Or, if you choose to believe racing journalist Kerry Morse, "Now for the interesting bit, reliability issues aside, the Porsche LMP2 has supposedly lapped Road Atlanta quicker than the pole time set at PLM last week." www.sportscarpros.com

We'll start to see on Thursday whether the RS Spyder has the goods.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:46 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
I'm glad you said that, so I will not feel like I'm beating you up over details

1969 is the year Porsche "presented" the 917's, the requirement was only 25 cars not 50. The 917 debut was at SPA May of 1969.

Ferrari followed Porsche's lead and presented 25 512's for homologation mid year, not to debut the car until 1970.

The best part of the story is Ferdinand Piech offered Dean Delamont of the FIA to take a ride in one of the 917's. Rumor has it (or maybe its a fact now?) that only a few of the cars were actually complete.

Here is a site with the picture of the 917's lined up:

http://www.porsche917.com.ar/xhistoria1969_1.htm
Old 10-11-2005, 12:12 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I'm glad you said that, so I will not feel like I'm beating you up over details

1969 is the year Porsche "presented" the 917's, the requirement was only 25 cars not 50. The 917 debut was at SPA May of 1969.

Ferrari followed Porsche's lead and presented 25 512's for homologation mid year, not to debut the car until 1970.

The best part of the story is Ferdinand Piech offered Dean Delamont of the FIA to take a ride in one of the 917's. Rumor has it (or maybe its a fact now?) that only a few of the cars were actually complete.

Here is a site with the picture of the 917's lined up:

http://www.porsche917.com.ar/xhistoria1969_1.htm
Appreciate the corrections... thanks.

Quick Reply: Porsche RS Spyder with livery debut