Sponsored by:

Porsche RS Spyder with livery debut

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care what color it is or what livery it has...at least it's a Porsche race car and not a stupid SUV or other sedan.....about friggin' time....
Old 10-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by earlyapex
The color scheme doesn't bother me at all as it distracts me from the fact that the basic car is so ugly. What's up with the nose? There is nothing aside from the Porsche label on its side that visually identifies it as a Porsche. Now that I'm done b........, I know the car's aerodynamics have been designed to take advantage and comply with the current ACO rules for Le Mans. Let's hope it wins so I can forget all this.
Gosh...I like everything about it. Then again, I always dug Jan more than Marcia

I don't follow this race series real close, but I can't remember reading anything saying Porsche's ultimate intention is to be the overall race winner vs. a (lower) class winner. This is an LMP2 car and the Audi is a (faster class) LMP1 car...correct? I hope it's sucessful enough to get them to go for all the gusto and not simply revert to an other GT3R-like lower class, sell race cars for profit product line.

Mike
Old 10-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob C.
Most Porsche fans look fondly at the Gulf livery because of what it represents to the history of Porsche racing.
What?

The Ford GT40 had it first.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by earlyapex
There is nothing aside from the Porsche label on its side that visually identifies it as a Porsche.
That leads us to Porsche's Catch-22. We complain for seven years that Porsche has abandoned the pinnacle of endurance sportscar racing. When they make the first stab at returning, we complain that the car doesn't resemble what we drive on the street. This, despite the fact that *none* of the cars competing at the pinnacle of endurance sportscar racing resemble anything anyone drives on the street.

While I agree that the RS Spyder is not the most visually appealing design, it is distinctive within the class while still relying on state of the industry design queues. And, no, it doesn't resemble a 911, but neither did the 908/3, the 917/30, nor the 936. ...and each of them are considered Porsche icons. Time will tell...
Old 10-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by Geo
What?

The Ford GT40 had it first.
Indeed. But that's less relevant to diehard Porsche fans' predilection for the Gulf livery. The 917 is the one we most often associate with the colors.

I have this one hanging on my wall at home. I photographed it in color and in b/w, but it looks much better in b/w...

http://www.chapman3.com/images/vroom...1_gt40_01b.jpg
Old 10-07-2005, 01:03 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think anyones asking the Porsche LMP2 car to look like a 911. I don't even know how you could do it. Audi and Cadilac tried to make their first LMP1 cars have some visual clues to the marque and fell flat on their faces with truly slow cars. The final versions bore no semblance to their street cars. I will argue that the Audi R8 is a nice looking car and aside from the Ferrari 333SP the only ALMS LMP1 car that visually appeals to me.

In the end, it's winning that counts and that will sell cars so let's hope the Porsche is fast and reliable. They've picked a class without any significant competition aside from Lola and I think that Porsche's pocket book is bigger that Lola's.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:41 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

So the livery isn't the most appealing...but ya know what is, those seven letters on the side of the car right by the driver that say PORSCHE!!!

As far as competition there are plenty of rumors of other manufacturers joining the ALMS LMP2 ranks...the latest one is Honda.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:51 AM
rs911t
Instructor

I like it!
Old 10-07-2005, 01:25 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
A sponsor is a sponsor, even if it means painting this spectacular car a disgusting color.

At least the sponsor isn't Hooters or UPS (bleeech!!!)

Also, remember that the 917 was considered ugly by many people back in the day.... especially the short-tail version.... amazing how everything looks alot better on the top step of the podium
Old 10-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Also, remember that the 917 was considered ugly by many people back in the day.... especially the short-tail version....
...and the original 917/10 Can-Am version.

This may or may not be interesting to some, but the yellow w/red livery has some precedence at Porsche. 917/10-001 (the original 917/10 chassis and test car) sported a similar livery, although I'm unsure at what point in its competitive life it received those colors.

http://962.com/registry/917/917-10-001/index.htm

http://www.photoessayist.com/canam/cars-02.html
Old 10-07-2005, 06:27 PM
thomas
Instructor

check the link

http://www.penskeracing.com/news.asp...&chaid=101608&

I think Riley's new car will be the best-looking LMP1 next year.

New Riley LMP1

Old 10-07-2005, 06:47 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

This may have been answered before or it may be a stupid question but why does there appear to be a passenger seat area?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by macnewma
This may have been answered before or it may be a stupid question but why does there appear to be a passenger seat area?
It's written into the current LMP1 and LMP2 rules that the cockpit must accommodate both driver and passenger and that the passenger compartment must contain (most) protective devices afforded the driver even thought it is not required to contain a seat.

The reason the ACO decided to do this is not 100% clear to me, but I suspect it's to further delineate between sportscar racing and the various open-wheel series. Ostensibly, "prototype" (the "P" in LMP1/2) means that it's a prototype of what will ultimately be a roadgoing vehicle (yeah, right), capable of carrying both driver and passenger.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by thomas
I think Riley's new car will be the best-looking LMP1 next year.
Ultimately, if a team steps to the plate to fund a Riley program, the car can be developed in either open or closed cockpit form. However, unless something is already in the works with such a team, I'd be surprised to see a car in '06.

Yes, the renderings of the LMP1 hint at an attractive final product. Maybe that will make up for the Riley Daytona Prototype which, even though it's the most competitive of the DP chassis, resembles the unfortunate offspring of a pickup truck and a snowplow.

http://www.autosportimage.com/photog...827_d_8999.jpg
Old 10-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Geo
Race Director

re: passenger seat/compartment:

Rules don't have to make sense. The original CanAm rules required a passenger seat. Some prototype rules in the past required you carry a spare tire. Some required you provide for a standard set of luggage.

Quick Reply: Porsche RS Spyder with livery debut