Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaking of LRP, what not to do on the uphill!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 12:14 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
My thoughts on this video is the commentary you hear (isn't there an instructor in the car? someone said here that there wasn't?).
It's the driver talking. Reminds me a little of the "Fear the Mange"

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
As he's tracking out of Big Bend you hear something to the effect of "ease off the throttle to let the tail come around". WTF, on track out? Get on the gas, Man!
Exactly.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38D
First, my read of this is very different. He basically went in too hot and lifted. He was a little early, but not devistatingly so. His hand were slow, but that's what you get in the lower run groups. I don't think he really missed his marks in the turns leading up to the uphill.
I don't mean to be rude, but you need to study the video some more. I've studied it in detail. At the fateful corner the 911 never moves enough in the windshield to say so. Pure target fixation. If you watch his turn-in frame by frame you will see he turned in WAY early making it impossible to make it through that corner.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:55 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
I don't mean to be rude, but you need to study the video some more. I've studied it in detail. At the fateful corner the 911 never moves enough in the windshield to say so. Pure target fixation. If you watch his turn-in frame by frame you will see he turned in WAY early making it impossible to make it through that corner.
George, your analysis earlier in this thread was great. Your target fixation argument is probably right, however, where he turned in and even where he makes it to the curbing right up to the spin is "survivable" in the uphill. What he didn't know or do is to almost like double apexing that turn. The second apex is an invisble one in the middle of the hill. You turn in at a point that seems to be early and then use the hill to compress the suspension and give yourself the extra grip necessary to "finish" the turn. It is subtle, but that's the way I do it when I'm feeling like going fast. It will appear for all intents and purposes that you are about to fly off the track (early apex) but the hill grants you the extra traction you need to make it.

Let me know if you drive Lime Rock differently.

I point this out because I agree exactly with 38D here: "He was a little early, but not devistatingly [sic] so." If he was a more skilled driver more familiar with Lime Rock he would have been fine. Fact is, he turned in closer to the "fast line" and didn't know what to do, panicked, and hesitated/lifted.

Quick Reply: Speaking of LRP, what not to do on the uphill!