Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 12:54 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoosier R3S04 Sidewall cracks

Gang:

I'm checking over my 2 sets of Hoosiers in preparation for an event in 2 weeks.

I have noticed that all of my outside facing sidewalls are cracked. The crack is centered almost perfectly between the edge of the wheel and the edge of the tread. The crack has a "bulge" to it, and goes all the way around the circumference of the sidewall.

The tire sizes are :
245-45/17
315-35/17

My car is 2400lbs wet + me (180lbs) - so basically a 2600lb car. According to Bob Woodman's recommended pressures I am right in range as he recommends 40-43 hot. I run -2.5 camber in the rear, and about -2.3 i nthe front (front needs more), rear wear seems almost perfect.

Normally I shoot for 40psi hot. I've been reading this morning that some are shooting for 44psi hot, so maybe the cause of this is that I am running them too "soft" on pressure. So at the beginning of a session I may start off at 30-32psi, and end up at 40psi pretty much all the way around.

Obviously, and unfortunately, I won't be running these 2 sets of tires any longer.
I'm sure someone else has ran into this, but I did a search this morning but honestly didn't have the time to spend to peruse all of the messages looking for my exact symptom.

Anyone else ran into this, and did you determine what caused it, and how were you able to prevent it in the future?

Brian

Last edited by BrianKeithSmith; 10-02-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:14 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have some of these tires in my garage now(315 35 17) and I don't have this problem, I have not heard of it recently either.That's not to say your tires haven't failed, I just haven't heard of any serious construction issues with the current crop of Hoosiers.I just returned from a race where about half the racers are using these.If you could post some pics then maybe someone with more knowledge of tire construction could tell you what's going on with more certainty.It may be worth your time to investigate this as Hoosier is a race tire company and they do listen to their customers - who knows maybe the tires you have are faulty and they'll take care of you. Or at least you'll find out what went wrong.

Hoosier does recommend 44 lbs and I am personally switching to nitrogen to make it a little easier hit that target. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:16 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Seege, I'll try to post some pics. I also run Nitrogen in my tires as you do.

Brian
Old 10-02-2005, 01:43 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a set that did the exact same thing. They were nearing the end of their life cycle, though, so I didn't pursue the matter to try to get compensated. I did call the distributor, though, and surprisingly they said that as long as the tire is not delaminating (the tread from the sidewall) that the tires should be ok! Can you believe that??? I disagreed, since it was my a** on the line, and replaced the tires.
They were always run at "proper" pressures and stored inside.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I had some new ones do that and Hoosier gave me 90% of my money back on them.

Quick Reply: Hoosier R3S04 Sidewall cracks