Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death at Lime Rock

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 07:56 PM
ndnguyen
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The below are more information reprint from this web site without permission from author.

http://p081.ezboard.com/fdsrforumgen...cID=1417.topic

"----------------------
Guys-

I'm the taller of Adam's two crew guys, Josh. I can tell you that he had his HANS on, his belts were tight when he left the pits after replacing a flat on lap 3, and the rest of his safety gear was on and in proper working order.

There was an error in the paper. He didn't hit the back of the Acura. The flagger from Sta. 7 swears he did, but the back of the Acura spun into the guard rail. The smash marks in the back of the tin top actually have the contour of the arm-co in it. Adam hit the front right corner of the Integra, and this I'm sure of because of the large amount of carbon and fiberglass body pieces stuck in the wheel, the pieces of bodywork embedded in the tire of the other car, and the piece of the front crash box/splitter that was stuck into the suspension pieces of the other vehicle.

It did happen on the uphill right hander, and the Integra spun about 3-5 secs before he turned in, which gave less than .75 sec for any evasive manuvering by the time he would have seen the car.

I can tell you all that he will be sorely missed.

----------------"
Old 09-27-2005, 09:36 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

That he was as skilled (and proactive on safety) as he was makes it even more of a tragedy.

My condolences to his friends and family.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:19 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Everything else (except for the actual bridge abutment) has plenty of runoff room at that track.
Not even close to true. You can wad up a car basically anywhere at Lime Rock.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Not even close to true. You can wad up a car basically anywhere at Lime Rock.
Very true! Except for the run-off at the end of the front straight, there really isn't any.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:52 AM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

Isn't there room thru the esses to run-off? Also, a few years ago I had a spin off the track halfway thru big bend with plenty of room in the grass. Of course if you are in heavy traffic it becomes a whole 'nother problem.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Big Bend depends on where you go off and how fast you are going. I have seen many cars pulled from the tire wall on the inside. When it comes to the esses, I'll let 38D respond....maybe he will describe what they look like upside-down!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:17 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Big Bend depends on where you go off and how fast you are going. I have seen many cars pulled from the tire wall on the inside. When it comes to the esses, I'll let 38D respond....maybe he will describe what they look like upside-down!
I have seen multiple crashes in every single corner of Lime Rock, and been in the car for 2 (uphill, not me driving; esses, me driving). I've even seen a car wad it up on no name, when they dropped 2 wheels in the dip. If you think there is a lot of run-off room, then you just ain't going fast enough .
Old 09-29-2005, 11:31 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto 38DD, I think they measure the runoff in inches at lame rock park.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:54 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I compare runoff vs. WG's inside & outside barriers I guess.

Seriously though, I've lost it coming out of BB at LRP, inside / outside through there, & the wife lost it once on the downhill & never hit anything solid.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:35 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Condolences to the family and friends. Not to be morbid but we read thee threads to not only reflect but learn what not to do. If HANS was worn and safety gear intact what caused the death? Was this an issue of the danger of mismatched size/weights of cars? Did The SR3 drive under the Acura thus causing major body trauma? The Sr3 uses slopped side bars with no front hoop. The bars are not particularly substantial except perhaps against another Sport racer.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:28 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the article said he had severed several arteries near his head...

Would a H&N help this?

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=12530&rfi=6

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Condolences to the family and friends. Not to be morbid but we read thee threads to not only reflect but learn what not to do. If HANS was worn and safety gear intact what caused the death? Was this an issue of the danger of mismatched size/weights of cars? Did The SR3 drive under the Acura thus causing major body trauma? The Sr3 uses slopped side bars with no front hoop. The bars are not particularly substantial except perhaps against another Sport racer.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Would a H&N help this?
No, nor would anything else. He ran his car under the front corner of an Acura with nothing between his head and the car. It could have happened if he got under another Radical, but I doubt they are as easy to wedge. I wish him GodSpeed and hope Mr. Johnson (Acura) recovers both physically and mentally..
Old 09-29-2005, 10:40 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Oof, from the public relations manager of LRP. Is this good PR?

""There’s a whole slew of factors involved at a race track, many more dangers," Hasty said. "There’s many more variables than the open road.""
Old 09-29-2005, 10:41 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

very sad. My heart felt condolences to his family and friends...
Old 09-30-2005, 02:11 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

This is always tragic and sad. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Safety should always be the number 1 priority although it hardly ever is. Safety also begins at the organizers and track levels. Where there waving yellows??

Quick Reply: Death at Lime Rock