Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death at Lime Rock

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 10:23 PM
onasled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An American GT Challenge car (GT-1 or Trans Am) coming over that hill.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:27 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Having ridden in a radical I would say i would easily be 20-30 mph faster than most any production car. If he was a good driver he would be at well over 2 gs in a fast corner. Until you ride in or drive one you really can't imagine how well they get through the corners and the braking is even more amazing.
Agreed. Apparently this was a skilled and winning driver. Just went back to look at some of my logger data there. In the video lap that Alpine referenced of mine, I was doing ~91MPH at the crest and I built to and held a fairly steady ~1.1G through the corner. I know the speed at that position is reasonably precise as right at the crest the data trace shows the tach jump several hundred RPM as the rear gets light and loses traction over the hill (you can hear this in the video). Having seen first hand how much faster the Radical is in corners then my 911, I'd be surprised if the he wasn't over a 100 there.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:47 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just too sad. Given the accounts of the driver's reputation as an experienced and accomplished racer, coupled with the fact that he was a physician, I'd doubt that this death was due to the lack of a H&N device.

You know, I would NEVER suggest a reconfiguration of a road course based on one horrible incident at a particular point on the track. But, since they already have the chicane in place to slow certain very fast (e.g., GTP) cars before catching air at the crest of the hill, maybe for safety's sake that should just become the permanent course for all cars at LRP (like bus stop at at Watkins)? I dunno; just a thought.

Maybe the chicane would only prove more dangerous for amateur drivers?Personally, and fortunately, I have never had, nor encountered another vehicle having, a problem at the uphill. I have, of course, seen the evidence of many good driver's difficulties there, e.g., tire tracks off the track surface.

Richard
Old 09-27-2005, 09:32 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

While I clearly dont know the facts in this incident or the CGT in CA, both COULD be due to flagging/worker mistakes. (or lack of)

As I remember, the CGT had a car exit the pits infront of it... and took evasive moves to avoid contact. abet unsuccessfully.

This incident sounds like track blockage at a blind turn.
IF the stopped car was covered with a waving Yellow, then the Radical screwed up.

I flagged for years, so I know a little about this...
I often see paid workers at these DE events that have very questionable skills. This is one area I would gladly pay more $$ to hire SCCA national or divisonal licenced workers. SCCA workers are not paid, (at scca events). However, most of the experienced scca workers, (I know) dont want to work DE's... they don't do it for the money... (or, its not enough)

They are also required to go to school every 2 years, and work a number of races to keep up the licence.

As far as a Radical running with production cars, I see no difference between that and a GT3 and a 914 / 924 on the track. As long as the cars have fenders, the speed differential seem to be the only safety issues.

who said: corner workers, know your future...
Old 09-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
As far as a Radical running with production cars, I see no difference between that and a GT3 and a 914 / 924 on the track. As long as the cars have fenders, the speed differential seem to be the only safety issues.

Fenders aren't the only issue. The radical is all of maybe 30 inches high at the roll bar, it could easily go halfway under a production car.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:11 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
While I clearly dont know the facts in this incident or the CGT in CA, both COULD be due to flagging/worker mistakes. (or lack of)
I actually think the root cause is much simplier: more people are driving very fast/near professional level cars, yet we still possess amature talent. How many of us really have the talent level to be driving a CGT or a Radical safely at the track? There was a point where I started thinking about getting a Kraftwerk 917 replica. Then I remembered that I don't have the talent that Mark Donohue did...
Old 09-27-2005, 12:11 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a very sad thing. I hope our prayers and condolences are some help to the family and friends who have alot of grief to deal with.

Without all facts it is not good to speculate, but accidents happen despite the best efforts.

Lets not point to the flaggers without more reason. It can take even the best flagger a second or two between the time that a car starts to lose it, and when they can get the flag out. If you commit to the turn during that period, , there is often not much you can do... things happen in fractions of a second...

Particularly in the Uphill at LRP.... it is blind and the car is light or off the wheels at the crest... even the best driver is really a passenger for the 40-50 feet after the crest.

Personally I will not drive an opened cockpit car... there is little to protect you from debris or penetration into or under another car.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:21 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Agreed, the last thing I would want to do is blame a incident on a flagger.

However I do think we should evaluate skills of our workers and pay them like our lives depend on it.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:31 PM
onasled
Instructor

This may be the wrong time and place to bring this up, but ... I've been to LRP at least 8 times this year. At least two of those times I have seen that particular flag station manned by someone who appeared to be dozing off. He was sitting in his chair with his head facing down, chin against his chest. Was very bothersome, but foolishly I never reported it to the correct people.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:04 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Typical for that place, my least favorite track for many reasons.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCP911S
This is a very sad thing. I hope our prayers and condolences are some help to the family and friends who have alot of grief to deal with.

Without all facts it is not good to speculate, but accidents happen despite the best efforts.

Lets not point to the flaggers without more reason. It can take even the best flagger a second or two between the time that a car starts to lose it, and when they can get the flag out. If you commit to the turn during that period, , there is often not much you can do... things happen in fractions of a second...

Particularly in the Uphill at LRP.... it is blind and the car is light or off the wheels at the crest... even the best driver is really a passenger for the 40-50 feet after the crest.

Personally I will not drive an opened cockpit car... there is little to protect you from debris or penetration into or under another car.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:30 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

It's one of my favorite & least-favorite parts of the track, along with the last turn onto the front straight.

Until this year, I've always done LRP in my supercharged Taurus SHO (FWD, 3400lb chassis). It's very exhilirating at the crest of the hill, as mentioned the car gets very light & you're completely dependent upon the flagger.

At the last turn (downhill), I watched a Vette hit the wall earlier this year during a wet-weather run, with my run group following his. Even under the warm-up yellow-flag lap, I felt the 911 slide outward about a car-width toward the same exact spot without intention. I parked it for the day right then & there. Everything else (except for the actual bridge abutment) has plenty of runoff room at that track.

It's a risk we all take out there, especially when mixing vehicle & driver capabilities. I have a great little in-car video clip of a rabbit, M Coupe, and my SHO coming off the downhill - rabbit pointed the M by, M pointed me by while making his pass. 3 distinct jumps in cars, even though they were all "street" class (my SHO was making about 505hp at that point).

My thoughts are with his family. While I hope it doesn't happen, If my time ever does come on-track, I hope it's quick, painless, and I have a smile on my face from doing something I enjoy greatly.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:39 PM
cooz
Pro

i'd like to report as did ONASLED that while at LRP recently during DE....it appeared that some of the flag station people were in place but unattentive to the track.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:21 PM
ryoji
Advanced

From another forum, but little more info/facts.

took the red flag approximately 200 yards from the scene. Adam was driving the Radical and was incredibly fast during the race but was difficult to see. His car struck the silver/black Integra (.....) at the end of no name just befor the flag station on the uphill. It took the LRP crew about 10 min to get Adam out and it was obvious that he was gravely injured.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:14 PM
agio
Racer

I'll add my deepest condolences to the family. It's a great loss to all of us who track their cars. We must not forget that this is a serious sport. It makes you think!

Quick Reply: Death at Lime Rock