Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A THANK YOU to all you PCA DE instructors out there!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts
Thumbs up A THANK YOU to all you PCA DE instructors out there!

I was returning home from yet another perfect day for being at the track (Limerock) yesterday and was thinking how lucky I have been to have such great instructors. The difference in my driving from the beginning of this year until now is amazing (to me) and it's 100% due to these people. They sit next to you and are basically just a passenger in a car with someone that they have never seen before and trust them with their lives. I tried to envision myself doing it someday and as much as I would like to "give back", i'm not sure I will ever have the patience (or guts) to do it. It really is unpredictable out there at times! The one time my poor instructor *almost* lost his composure at the last event was on the entrance of No-Name straight when a Corvette that I had been filling the mirrors of finally gave a pass signal. As soon as I saw his arm go I started to move. Good thing because he hit his brakes at the same time! My instructor was taken a bit off guard and was reaching for the dash, just said " that's bad... that's REALLY bad". I would have cracked about then..

So thanks to all of you out there that put up with us and move us up through the ranks. If it wasn't for you these DE's wouldn't exist!

Last edited by Gary R.; 09-26-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, those guys really lay it on the line. I've been fortunate, too. Chris White and Dave Bassett, to name just two, have provided me an excellent learning environment. Amazingly, in a spin in the wet in the downhill at LRP, Dave was more relaxed than I was. There's truly an art to being a good instructor.

Thanks to all the artist!

-Jon
Old 09-24-2005, 06:20 PM
agio
Racer

For what it's worth, we instructors for the most part, thoroughly enjoy working with serious students who want to continue their progress and become truly fine DE drivers. Thanks for the nice words.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:10 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

And as an organizer - I can't thank instructors enough. It's why we try to treat them so nicely.
Thank you for making this a topic and though I know we can't say enough, thanking all the guys that do give back...
Old 09-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Tim
Racer

For what it's worth, we instructors for the most part, thoroughly enjoy working with serious students who want to continue their progress and become truly fine DE drivers. Thanks for the nice words.

I agree!!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:07 PM
billlynes
Instructor

PCA produces some of the best drivers I have raced with.

Thank you to the brave souls who climbed into the passenger seat of my car.

It worked.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:14 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I too would echo what has been said. I have gone from no experience 2 years ago to racing mid pack or better in F. I could not have progressed this way without their help. The teaching style is something I am trying to use in the business environment.

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

A couple names to make it a little more personal -

Barry S. - CVR
Brett S. - CVR
Bill G. - CVR
Derek T. - CVR
Dan Jacobs - CVR (Hairy Dog Grrrage, who built the car that makes even ME look good! ..)
George D. - Jersey Shore Region

Thanks guys!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:32 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Your quite welcome even though I didn't have the pleasure of instructing you. Hopefully you will move up to instructing. I enjoy instructing very much. It has improved my driving as well. It is amazing what you can learn when critiquing someone else.

Thank you as well.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts

Mitch hit it on the head. To master (or attempt to master) anything, it really helps to teach. I learned this years ago in other areas and it was one of the primary drivers in getting me into instructing.

I share your gratitude for all the folks that took time out of their own busy track day to hot-hop into my car, especially after they've just come off the track themselves. Most skipped their tire pressure/temp testing, fluid replacement, and other critical items... Just so they could jog down to the starting grid, dripping with sweat, and jump into my car.

PCA has a great program in this area and my hat goes off to all involved. A hearty THANK YOU!

I myself, have thoroughly enjoyed trying my best to pay back some of these efforts by instructing myself. I can confirm that it has made me a better driver.

One last important thought... For those of you that have been doing DE for a while now or just started Club Racing... please raise your hand within your local region. Many instructors move into Club Racing and attend less DE days. There is a constant need for new folks to move up the ranks.

If you've compiled 20, 40, or 60 track days, you have something to offer the novices in your region. A good solid line, track awareness, good braking, heel-toe, etc. It's all fundamentals and you've got them to give.

So please, raise your hand and jump into the instructing pond. You won't be dissappointed!

Quick Reply: A THANK YOU to all you PCA DE instructors out there!