Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 01:17 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Full-face.

I think a cool option is the Stand 21 "Double Duty", it is a closed face helmet that has an interchangable visor (like the OMP above) and face shield, so you get the best of both worlds and can go from open cars to sedans with the same helmet, an added bonus is that it comes in silver instead of refridgerator white. Very nice and lightweight helmets with a very large price tag.

yes, that is the one I will get... thus the reason I am waiting for the SA2005 to come out
Old 08-26-2005, 01:52 PM
DERSIX
Advanced

Personally, I would get a "good" deal on a Snell 2000, since you will replace it before it is mandatory to replace it in 2010..for the rule is current Snell and the one previous Snell rating year....
Food for thought...
Pete
Old 08-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a full-face G-Force helmet. I really wanted to wait for the 2005, but that would mean borrowing a helmet again for a 2-day DE. I decided to bite the bullet and just got one, so I didn't have to stick my head in a helmet 2 sizes too small and share the sweat from the many users before.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:57 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DERSIX
Personally, I would get a "good" deal on a Snell 2000, since you will replace it before it is mandatory to replace it in 2010..for the rule is current Snell and the one previous Snell rating year....
Food for thought...
Pete

Stand 21 has completely removable padding so you can just buy the padding to replace when it gets worn out... and you can hand wash it to get the sweat out of it as well

...thus I'm still waiting for the snell 2005
Old 08-26-2005, 03:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Yep. I was seriously debating getting one of the hybrid helmets or doing what is (or perhaps was?) popular in Australian V8 Supercars - a full-face helmet with the most of the shield cut away leaving only a sunvisor strip. That was until talking with some friends who have experienced what WMO has. One was lucky not to lose an eye when something shot into the car and hit him nearly in the eyeball. Had it hit him in the eyeball he likely would have lost his eye.

I have this very helmet pictured

I got it mostly for DE and autocross, but have experienced a couple cases of debris intrusion. I would think that it is more of an issue in the race groups with debris kicked up by sticky tires.

That said it is due for replacement as it is an SA95 and will be getting full faced visor model. I wear glasses so a large eye port is important for me.

Probably will be a Bell M2 or a G-Force. I like the Bell, but like the price of G-force even more.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M758
That said it is due for replacement as it is an SA95 and will be getting full faced visor model. I wear glasses so a large eye port is important for me.

Probably will be a Bell M2 or a G-Force. I like the Bell, but like the price of G-force even more.
Joe, make sure you check out the G-Force. I've been a long believer in Bell helmets. They were the helmet of choice during my formative years and so that was what I bought. A Bell helmet saved my life. I had one Simpson and didn't much care for it so I thought I'd have Bell helmets the rest of my life. Then I saw the G-Force in person and tried it on. The quality is tons better than the Bell (or Simpson for that matter). Don't think the price reflects the qualilty. That would be a poor assumption.

Not only are G-Force high quality helmets, all of the SA helmets are Kevlar/Fiberglass, same as the "Pro" Bell helmets. That's a major plus. With the temperatures you race in, I'd highly recommend a forced air helmet. Great helmet, great price. The G-Force also has a very generous eye port compared with my Bells (I know the M2 also has a larger eye port than the Bells I've previously owned).
Old 08-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in favor of the full faced helmets. I only have vision in one eye and want all the protection I can get. I wore my wife's open faced for one weekend (when I discovered my Bell M2 had been stolen) and felt naked. I recently got an Arai GP-5 and am surprised at how well it works with glasses as it does not have a "large" opening. As long as the glasses have straight sides (like Oakley) and not "L" shaped like most, they slide in easily.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tom W
I'm in favor of the full faced helmets. I only have vision in one eye and want all the protection I can get. I wore my wife's open faced for one weekend (when I discovered my Bell M2 had been stolen) and felt naked. I recently got an Arai GP-5 and am surprised at how well it works with glasses as it does not have a "large" opening. As long as the glasses have straight sides (like Oakley) and not "L" shaped like most, they slide in easily.

Are you allowed to PCA club race with only one eye vision? I have poor vision in one eye from birth (use it for mainly periferal -- can't spell it) .... and that one eye can't read regular street signs with glasses if I close the other good eye... I can see enough to get by but I'd hate to loose my good eye.... I wear polycarbonite glasses instead of contacts and will of course upgrade to the full face helmet soon enough!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The other factor to consider in chosing a helmet manufacturer is simply which one fits your particular head shape better.
Helmet manufacturers do not use the same models/assumptions regarding head shape (not size).
I was very comfortable in an OMP but wasn't in a Simpson, no matter what size.....of course it could have been due to the flat spot resulting from when I was dropped at birth ;-)
Old 08-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ltc
....of course it could have been due to the flat spot resulting from when I was dropped at birth ;-)
I hate it when that happens!...
Old 08-26-2005, 08:40 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hmm full face or open face?

Try this:

1. Put on the open face helmet.
2. Have a friend slam you in the chin with a hammer.
3. Put on full face helmet.
4. Again, have the same friend slam you in the chin with a hammer. Make sure he exerts approximately the same force as he did in step 2.
5. Ask yourself which one hurt less.
6. Purchase full face helmet.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
I hate it when that happens!...
Should have been wearing a helmet I guess
Old 08-28-2005, 12:43 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Get a full face and get one that fits! It's nice to get recommendations for different brands and styles, but if it doesn't fit, it ain't worth it. I went into a local shop that has a large number of different brands of helmets and was thinkng I was going to get a Bell M2 (cheap). Ended up after an hour and a half of trying helmets on and checking fits with an Arai Gp-5K (expensive). I didn't get the Arai because of reputation, looks, price or anything else, it just fit better by an order of magnitude better than all the others (Bell, Sparco, Stand, Bieffe, Simpson to name a few). Wish I could have got a Bell, but helmet fit is something that can make things much more enjoyable.

BTW, I found out that wearing a balaclava makes putting my glasses on a breeze.

Bruinbro
Old 08-28-2005, 08:38 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Are there any full-face helmets with HANS mounting pins already attached?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:49 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Are there any full-face helmets with HANS mounting pins already attached?

It is an extra cost option for Stand 21 but the mount holes are already there.

I think many have it as an extra cost option... ..and most already have the mount holes there now-a-days.

Quick Reply: DE helmet. Full face or open face?