Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone going to Watkins Glen this weekend? Restaurant Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:29 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was there for the Club Race, our group went to the Seneca Harbor Station. The food was decent, the view was great and the wait staff made things really enjoyable.

The Seneca Lodge was really nice. A series of log cabins surrounding the lodge situated uphill from the town. It really reminded me of several places in North Carolina. The bar there is worth the time just looking at all the racing paraphernalia and the arrows. The food was good but the setting made it for me.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Al P.
Pro

If you're going to the Glen without stopping at the Senneca for at least a drink (and a steak) you're missing part of the experience.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Jack Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was pleasently surprised the last time we went to the Wildflower. My dinner was quite good. However, the wait-person was a real ditz.

Can't beat the view from the Senaca Harbor, especially if you can dine outside.

Senaca Lodge is definitely a meat & potatoes kind of place. They can generally handle a bigger group more easily than some of the others. Atmosphere seems better suited to colder spring & fall days.

The Italian place on main street is nothing fancy, but it's fine for the basic Italian fare.

Enjoy!
Old 08-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Stone Cat was good, but nothing special. You really do need to get a beer at the Seneca Lodge bar. Bring a nickel for the player piano (what else can you buy for a nickel?).
Old 08-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Clipboard
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW
Travel about the Finger Lakes region in a Pcar is one of the best driving experiences there is. But: Get the H out of Watkins! Blow some bucks at the Belhurst Castle in Geneva or the Tagauhannuck Inn N of Ithaca (a town swarming with food, beer, and college people) - take the Mecklenberg high road over to Ithaca and Cayuga Lake. Walter S. Taylor's Bully Hill N of Hammondsport has nice fare and the roads above Keuka Lake are fantasies come true. N of Lodi on Seneca Lake is Bill Wagner's winery, microbrew haus, and Jenny Lee restaurant. Cruise the wine trails and the backroads - real sportscars have been doing it for 50+ years. Today far fewer people live between the lakes than in the 1950s, so the roads are great and traffic minimal on weekdays. It's getting into harvest time - try some real food from the roadside stands and Amish/Mennonite farms. Oh, and wave at the farmers - your Porsche ancestors from a half century ago used to.
Mind the deer.
All the best - hope to see more folks around.
john

Quick Reply: Anyone going to Watkins Glen this weekend? Restaurant Recommendations?