Sponsored by:

German Grand Prix on CBS....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German Grand Prix on CBS....

YES YES YES!!! Derek Daly isn't commentating today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe Ralph Shaheen will talk a bit less and let Bill Adam do most of the talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe CBS does care!!
Old 07-24-2005, 02:26 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GUYS!! The buttons on the wheel ... they have various functions ... did you hear?

Listen to the BIG V10 as it drives by ....

This is the first F1 race I've seen on CBS...wow....
Old 07-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just heard a F1 steering wheel runs $125K!

bummer for Kimi R. locked up transmission while running away with the lead. . .
Old 07-24-2005, 02:43 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

they have some cool moving cameras to record the cars especially after that really tight corner before one of the straights...

thanks for the head's up that this was on!
Old 07-24-2005, 02:56 PM
Ryan V
Track Day

Did anyone else hear David Cou-THHH-ard? That is so bad! Please stay with Speed Channel!
Old 07-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Ryan V
Track Day

The announcers also made comments that Micheal S. was driving to the limits of the track while the Renault was a full 4' away from the edges in each turn. This obviously means Micheal had no tire tread left?!?!?!?!? Are you kidding me? I have not been taught this at DE yet!
Old 07-24-2005, 03:10 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

The CBS coverage is SOOO bad for an enthusiast. They are obviously gearing it to the kindergarten level race 'fan'. I will not dignify it by calling it F1-101. It is not that good.

I was listening rather than watching as i stumbled through some multi-tasking and heard one commentator--don't know who-- pontificating on how sensitive the clutch/throttle interplay is during the race start to get away fast and smoothly. Have they no knowledge of launch control? If not, what the hell are they doing calling the race????

Speed, Save us please!

Steve Matchet and Davey Hobbs rule!
Old 07-24-2005, 05:00 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

This was the first CBS coverage I actually watched. Well, started to watch. Soon felt the waves of nausea as the commentary seemed to get rpogressively worse. Can't imagine how a non-F1 fan could be the least bit excited about watching with this drivel as an explanation.

Sorry, I think CBS are making a major tactical error by buying the race rights then serving them up as a second rate production. Given their budgets, they should be able to get a crack commentary team in the booth. The current guys are failing on all front - not just for as affectionados who understand the sport, but for the very audience they are trying to attract. CBS management is screwing up a great opportunity here.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:57 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

I only saw and heard the last 15 or so laps but... I thought the commentary was fine, although 2 guys did mispronounce Coulthard. The commentary was nowhere near as bad as Nascar. I'm no F1 expert but I enjoyed the race. Maybe Derek Daly sets the bar so low that anytime he's not there I enjoy it.

Last edited by seege; 07-25-2005 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:46 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

I thought it was overall better done than Canada. They kept kissing MS butt though, a little annoying as he was holding up about four drivers. Once Button got around him he immediately put 30 seconds on him. Too bad for Kimi, but reliability is a huge part or it and what about Montoya! Wow!

If only Kimi didn't have all those engine failures we would of had a great race to the finish.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:04 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Perhaps CBS could hire the Speed Channel guys.....at least the names would be pronounced correctly!!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:08 AM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by rdstemler
Perhaps CBS could hire the Speed Channel guys.....at least the names would be pronounced correctly!!

No, I think they should hire Dan Rather..............what idiots, 3/4 of the people on the RL know more that those chuckle heads !!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:43 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

We're lucky up here as we usually get F1 coverage on both Speed (not this week though) and TSN. The latter picks up the ITV coverage from the UK (James Allen, Martin Brundle), which is excellent. They are better than Speed.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:02 AM
P.Po
Instructor

Guys,

Just a quick point. The TV coverage (i.e. Camera Angles, placing etc) is the same no matter who is showing the race. ITV, CBS, Speed, RDS, or anyone else around the world all get the same feed. It is usually a local producer who puts the race on.

I personally really like the cameras coming off the corners. The Germans did a pretty good job of not following Kimi or Alonso the whole race...phew... but I was surprised when the switched shots right before Schumacher got passed... Hmmmm...

YMMV,
Patrick
Old 07-25-2005, 11:28 AM
hatchback
Advanced

I agree, the CBS color commentary was awful and the commentators seems ignorant of basic facts, like who is driving which car. So bad in fact that I recorded the race on my dvr and then watched it at 2x on mute.

Quick Reply: German Grand Prix on CBS....