Sponsored by:

Manual tire changers

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 09:22 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.Harborfreight.com sells the above mentioned manual equipment and also sells import (Taiwanese) automatic changers and harmonic balancers. Wait for 1/2 price sales and the like as list is only fair for the import stuff and the domestic stuff is overpriced.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Kurt, I saw what machines they have, and I would not buy one without the additional helper arm. It makes a hugh difference with the super stiff sidewall/ultra low profile tires. From what I saw there, the next step up would probably be around $2,500, which is about what my friend wants for the one I have. Always better to pay a few bucks more and have a live, concerned person to deal with when you need them. And while there is a lot of junk coming out of China, there is also starting to be some decent quality equipment. Just like what came from Japan 30 years ago.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:26 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

The real problems start when you need to service the equipment. In a home use scenario the equipment might last 100 years but if/when it needs repair for something or other you are likely to be out of luck. HF might still be in business but they might not support the equipment any longer.
I have a sorted out shop in the back yard and I looked into the ROI over time and it did not pay out other than the convience of being able to service the tires when and how you like. (I now work for a dealer and get access to the good stuff free ) One down side is if the tire shop messes up a tire while mounting it, they pay to replace it, when you do, you pay to replace it.

You might also end up with a bunch of fellow track rats at you door, wheels in hand, too...
Old 07-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kurt M
You might also end up with a bunch of fellow track rats at you door, wheels in hand, too...
Yeah, the first time I am gracious, the second time I want cash!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:07 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a quick search on ebay. I found a couple $39 manual jobbies and some $1K full auto jobbies. Is there anything in between?

What I would really like to get is a small pneumatic mounter+balancer which I can keep in my trailer (folded up out of the way) for use while at the track. Seems like the only decent solution to this problem is to get a manual one though. Unless I build something myself...
Old 07-08-2005, 05:59 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts

netmaniac,

Where the 1000 units the POS chinese units? Just as a point of referrence I bought a chinese plasma cutter. It worked for one whole cut throught some 3/16" plate as a test. Then it failed. I returned it and buying Lincoln. I thought of building one too. Sort of manual with some no sweeting hydralic features.

Quick Reply: Manual tire changers