Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Teams to Boycott USGP?? (Developing)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fong - Suwipin went to the race...I feel sorry for him.

I'm going back to the garage to work on my car....it's better than watching this "race".
Old 06-19-2005, 03:43 PM
RobNL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bull
Typical FIA - Ecclestone BS! A safety issue arrises and they would rather screw the golden goose than deal with it.

Nothing ever changes.....
It's not a Ecclestone problem, but a Michelin problem. They are allowed to bring in to types of tyres, one optimal tire and one tire to be on the safe side. Even the last tire wasn't goed enough. They might be less performance wise, but they seem to hold better and are less on the edge than Michelin.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:53 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I almost get the feeling Michelin is doing this to spite the USA. Very sad for everyone who spent money to go see F1. I thought the single set of tires rule was somewhat ridiculous to begin with. Michelin has been enjoying a big competitive advantage vs. Bridgestone all season, but now when they are up against tougher conditions they fold like a cheap suit. Bridgestone at least built a tire for this season which, while a performance comprimise, could do what it needed to. This will set F1 back a bit with sponsors in this country. Sad for Speed too. They probably spent big money for the TV rights and now look what they are stuck with. We will likely see them show even more NASCAR crap now.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:58 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

BTW how many years have people been racing at Indy ? There should not have been any surprises for Michelin. In the good ole days could you ever imagine AJ Foyt, or Andretti not racing because of tires....
Old 06-19-2005, 04:01 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

this is a truly sad day for the sport and the fans....the rest of the drivers should stop this farse...
Old 06-19-2005, 04:11 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I just switched over to Fox, at least the Cup guys are racing.
I can't believe Michelin and the FIA couldn't figure this out before this morning. I guess the answer is to move to a single tire supplier.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

To clear up any uncertainties, which some people clearly suffer from, including paranoia!

There were two unexplained tyre failures during practice. Zonta and R Schumacher crashed, Michelin could not account for them, despite some in situ forensic work.

To address a problem Michelin could not account for, it asked to be allowed to supply some new tyres, flying them in from Europe. The FIA refused, saying it was in breach of the rules. On the prudent advice of Michelin, in the absence of a chicane at the corner which was identified as problematical, the Michelin clad team owners prudently withdrew their cars.

Yes, the fans were cheated, the FIA felt their 'rules', which to be honest they mostly make up on the fly, were more important than putting on a good race. This sort of attitude is typical of fascists and stupid people, or both......

If i were American, I'd tell F1 to F off!

R+C
Old 06-19-2005, 04:42 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beyond words. Screw the FANS?!?

I agree Michelin failed the teams but Ecclestone has to put on a full "show". Should have put in the chicane and compensated Bridgestone teams by giving all Michelin runners an automatic time penalty and played it down. Instead... disaster.

F1 corporate suicide... at least no one died, I guess.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:50 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Quote from another board, "The French Michelin tires just surrendered to an American track."

Bruinbro
Old 06-19-2005, 04:51 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Nobody ever wins when these types of pissing matches start. We have seen it with all the major league sports, airlines.. you name it. This is forshadowing rocky times ahead for F1. They will go back to Europe and point figers at each other. I don't think sponsors will be as eager to pony up the cash next time and fans certainly won't be as eager to travel for a show that may or may not happen.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:15 PM
alexands
Pro

Schumi and Barichello (sp) seemd to be pissed at each other. I didn't see the full "race". What happened between these guys?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:21 PM
tchandler
Instructor

A 10 second stop and go time penalty was discussed as an option, but the teams didn't see this as real option. The only option, for safetys sake, was said to be a chicane or new tires. The FIA said a chicane was not vialbe do to having no testing and could not be done in such a short time and be guaranteed safe. I agree with one of the other post. The FIA rules are so wishy washy and change all the time during a season. If saftey is the issue why not allow a supplier to fly in tires over night to allow the fans to see a real race. Just confirms to me why I really only watch F1 with a passing interest. I would rather watch any sports car race...Grand Am/ALMS.

SCCA world challenge is quickly becoming my favorite to watch. Good competition and non of this BS.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by alexands
Schumi and Barichello (sp) seemd to be pissed at each other. I didn't see the full "race". What happened between these guys?
Rubens was leading while MS was coming out of the pits. It was going to be close going into T1 with these two, but upon entering T1 it looks like Michael squeezed Rubens a little bit and Barichello ran wide and he went onto the grass.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alexands,

Shuey almost hit Rubens when he was comming out of the pits.

IHO, Michelin are to problem, this wasn't their first year at Indy, they should have brought, at least, another type of tire. They are allowed to choose between two types. My predjudice against Michelin goes back 35 years when I spent a heck of a lot of time flying over the Michelin Rubber Plantation in Vietnam protecting the place from the VC. I swore then I would never buy a Michelin tire, I broke that vow in 2002 when I bought my first set of MPSC's. I think I am going out to the garage , and burn my latest set.

The other problem, as I see it, is the stupid FIA rule of only one set of tires for qualifying and the race. That could have hurt Kimi two races ago.

By the way, by the rules, the Michelin runners could have stopped for tires as often as they had wanted, all the rules say, is that they can't put gas at the same stop.

What a freaking mess.

One other observation, there didn't seem to be as many beer cans thrown as there usually is at a normal NASCAR race. Also, it seemed that the crowd stopped booing when the German and Italian national anthems were being played. I thought that was cool, though maybe Speed turned the volumn down on the crowd mikes. Also, I thought Tiago acted pretty good in the interview room.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 06-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RobNL
It's not a Ecclestone problem, but a Michelin problem. They are allowed to bring in to types of tyres, one optimal tire and one tire to be on the safe side. Even the last tire wasn't goed enough. They might be less performance wise, but they seem to hold better and are less on the edge than Michelin.
The problem was caused by Michelin, of course! BUT, there are a number of ways that the FIA and Bernie The Wonderful could have DELT with the problem! Isn't that what smart MATURE people do, deal with unexpected problems? For them to sit back and do what they did once confronted by the problem would get them fired where I come from!

Quick Reply: Michelin Teams to Boycott USGP?? (Developing)