JRZ adjustment advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default JRZ adjustment advise

After watching Norm & Ricks videos I am convinced my set up is way wrong. The car sticks fine. The only issue is the steering wheel, front tires bump steer through the corners, all corners. I have JRZ double adjustables with evo uprights. The front remotes are set on the first - position so I have 14 + remaining. I assumed that I needed to soften the front but - being less I thought I was as soft as it gets. Did I go in the wrong direction? The spring rates are only 600#.

2 years ago I had a issue with the car going into a 4 wheel drift in corners. The cold loaded shock pressure was 130. I dropped it to around 70 and the car sticks great.

What do you think? Just hang on?

Thanks for any advise.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just got back from GT Performace who takes care of the car. They walked me through the operation of the two adjustment points and gave me a copy of the maunual. So if anyone, like me, had the shocks but no manual or clue let me know.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:16 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you have the ability to scan and email that manual? (I'm a JRZ owner without much of a clue.)
Old 06-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sure Jack. May be a little fuzzy as it originated as a fax from the Racers Group. Very worth while information.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:47 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Is there any reference of how much Nitrogen pressure the shocks should have? TIA
Old 06-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sure Danny but from now on I wish to be referred to as Mr JRZ (unless I loose this operation manual)

Information provided are quotes:

The JRZ design allows the engineer (thats us I think) to vary the gas pressure from a low of 4 bar to a high of 20 bar...
8 bar is 116 PSI
10 bar is 145 PSI

what the manual does not tell you is to check your pressure with the car on the ground (not jacked) and cold. Immediately after a session I think some expansion will occur depending on the purity of the nitrgen. My "stick" works at 75 psi cold. Now that I have a work sheet to track all three settings I will find the right combo for old yeller. Suspension tune, who would have thought. I see a 2:03:99999 in my future (Watkins Glen next week! )

When I raced at Beaver Run their was a wicked fast BMW M3 that was killing me. He was constantly changing JRZ settings and checking pressure and filling out a log to track the right combo. My wife noticed this and asked me why I am not tweaking my JRZ settings....

Carrol Smith: "The pressure of the nitrogen in the gas chamber is transmitted to the hydraulic fluid in the working chamber as "nose pressure" and delays the start of cavitation. The higher the pressure, the further the beginning of cavitation is delayed. The situation is analogous to that of the pressure cap on the coolant water system- a 15 psi pressure cap will raise the boiling point further than a 7 psi cap."
Old 06-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Bill:

Good advice about checking gas pressures. They play a BIG role in how these (JRZ-Moton) shocks work.

Look at http://www.rennsportsystems.com/moton.html to see a chart and how that affects spring rates. Final shock settings are influenced by your gas pressures.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Thanks for your professional input as always but where in the hell have you been while us rookies are sliding & sawing our way around the track? ;-)

Your site has some great JRZ info Steve, thanks!
Old 06-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

My pleasure, sir.

We install, setup, (and sell) a LOT of Moton/JRZ packages as well as setup a lot of race cars here with comparable systems.

As you know, there are a LOT of variables involved here in configuring, installing, as well as the trackside adjustments to get the potential out of these suspension systems.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Penske shocks also has a nice set up guide you can download. http://www.penskeshocks.com/Adjustab...h%20Manual.pdf Start at page 16 for the guide to tuning.
I would start my shocks more towards the middle of their settings. The first few settings have a much larger change than the last ones do. I think your springs rates are kind of low also but from the looks of your videos your car should not require the inputs you are giving her.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd like a copy of your JRZ manual too if you don't mind . Thanks!

Last edited by Cory M; 06-12-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:30 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Mr JRZ thank you
Steve thanks as well for the link. How did I miss it on your site? Strange.... One Q for you Sir,
It is correct to assume that varying the gas pressure from front to rear is something to do last or First? For example on an understeering car, after or before you exhausted the sway, shock adjustments, should one proceed to lower the gas pressure in the fronts in order to soften the car? If so in what increments should this be done?

Quick Reply: JRZ adjustment advise