Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R rubber ranking

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 02:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Before speed GT World Challenge got the correct sizes for the porsche front tires in RA1s, they were using the Trampio. As i was told, they are the exact same compound as the RA1, but a different tread design. (pretty radically different, more like a Yoko, A032R) so, if you notice any difference, its due to tread, not compound. Im sure the top teams wouldnt feel comfortable running one compound on the front and another on the rear (as porsche used the tampio on the front and the normal Ra1 on the rear in 275 or 305 sizes)
Also, the RA1 is not going anywhere! see SpeedWorld Challenge spec tires! (RA1) they have even developed new sizes for the series (ie 335x30x18, 305x35x18, 245x45x18, etc)

Ive been driving to the track on all sorts of R compound over the years, usually, i use the set that is toast to drive on the street and commute to the track, and then maybe , 1st practice session as long as they are not showing cords. Recently, with the SpeedGT RA1 tire, ive now drive to the track, put on 10,000miles on one set, and also practice and sometimes qualify on them. (they are that good!!) Now, im willing to bet even at near corded levels, and more heat cycles than i care to admit to ( 20+), they (RA1s) are much more sticky than a half worn 12 heat cycle hoosier!

MK

Mk

Originally Posted by Orjan
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but have anyone made comparisons to Toyo Trampio R1R? We are running these on our tracked 944, and while it's the first tire we ever experienced on a track with a racing car - we are impressed. It is very forgiving in terms of slip and gives plenty of signals before slipping (acutally it's quite hard to make it slip even with purpose).

I had the RA1's on my street 944 Turbo S for a while, and they were absolutely astonishing.. great wear, beautiful grip (at least compared to any normal sport rubber) and amazing qualities in the wet.
I haven't been able to track both the RA1 and the R1Rs so I can't make much of a comparison.

Is it true though, that Toyo is stopping production of the RA1? Maybe I misunderstood my supplier, perhaps it is just certain ranges of dimensions that was not produced anymore. I mean.. racing people seem to be talking more about the RA1s now than ever...

/ØRjan

Quick Reply: R rubber ranking