Sponsored by:

R rubber ranking

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Tim L
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joey B

Chris was running the Hoosier rain tire for the Lime Rock club race.
Now in the rain they could be one of the fastest?

Tim Lynn
Old 05-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Has anyone tried the new AVON tire?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:43 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I did my first club race on MPSC's that had about 30 heat cylces on them. They were great. I battled all day with an M3 on Hoosiers and he had me for the first couple laps, but after about six laps he started getting squirrelly and the MPSC's just kept getting better. So, I bought another set. I'm actually thinking about buying a set of Toyo's for my practice wheels for comparison.

BTW, I have no idea how you guys get Victoracers to work. They were fine when I was first starting out but after a couple of years of experience, I couldn't get them to last for more than one (1) DE. Now, I do have a 3K lbs car and it's pretty hot in Texas, so that might have something to do with it. Several of my friends had the same experience with the Victo's. We tried the V700, but they were the same. We vowed against them last year. They were great cold on the first lap, I would almost say they are better cold than Hoosiers cold. Now, they get “greasy” after about ten minutes of hard driving.

George
Old 05-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Tim L
Advanced

You can't run the Victoracers hard unshaved they will over heat get greasy and blister. In my experience they also don't get slower after 8-10 heat cycles like Hoosiers. So if you don’t want to go threw one or two sets of tires a weekend then they are a good compromise.

Tim
Old 05-11-2005, 11:41 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Tim, what kind of car do you run them on?

George
Old 05-11-2005, 11:44 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tim L
Joey B

Chris was running the Hoosier rain tire for the Lime Rock club race.
Now in the rain they could be one of the fastest?

Tim Lynn
Thanks for the clarification, Tim. BTW, congrats on your 2nd at LR and welcome to the board.

So what tires are you running?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been using the MPSC for awhile now. Went from 17 to 18" to get bigger sizes. Now that they make the 235/40, it makes it better for front grip. I've yet to cord a MPSC, they usually lose their grip after 60-70 heat cycles, even for a DE. I haven't tried the new Hoosiers yet, so I can't comment on them. I'm sure they are quicker than the MPSC, but since I'm still sponsored by my VISA card, the MPSC are my ticket for affordable racing-if there is such a thing.

I loved the Kuhmo Victoracers with full tread in the rain. However, in the dry, they seem to go away after 20 minutes.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Tim L
Advanced

Thanks,

I was running the kumho Victoracers full tread.

Tim
Old 05-11-2005, 01:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I think Chris is a good judge of the tires too, especially since we both have run simular times with him running his nice C class car in the other race group when we both go to PCA events or the same tracks. His estimation of 1 second sometimes narrows down to .5 second when you factor in adrenaline for the test conditions. (race vs qual vs practice, vs first practice, vs cold temp vs warm temp, etc) I was putting hoosiers about 1 second slower than the hoosier, but when the race really counted and i was pushing hard, the difference was only .5seconds . again, look no farther than the speed world challenge drivers whom are running 2:14.5 in GT at road america, and 1:31 at laguna!!! trust me, these guys would not be running 1:29 on hoosiers vs the spec RA1 WC tire.
(that would be 5 seconds faster than the Rolex GT class porsche 996s with some of the top drivers on slicks!!!!) and henzler, a top cup driver, also proved that a pure cup car can run within 1-2 second of the motorsport upgraded SpeedGT wC engine)

also look at Speed World challenge touring cars!! (at a track near you) these are cars are 275hp max rear wheel, and 2700-2800lbs AND these cars are running :58 at Limerock, 2:28 at road america, 1:38 at laguna seca, 1:48 at sears, etc. there aint no "2 seconds " among switching DOT tires (of the fast DOT tire group. i.e. hoosier, cup, toyoRA1, etc)

in formula 1, there are HUGE differnces in tires and 2 seconds are found in many places . ( ie blinking!)

mk
Old 05-11-2005, 02:20 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I have heard MPCS work better on heavier cars. I think it is because the need more heat to work well. So if you have a 3000 lbs car then MPCS are great.

For a 2200 lbs car? Maybe not.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:32 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

I will be in D with a stock 993 at the WGI club race. I'm a low budget guy. I pull a small trailer with my tires, etc. My street tires are also my rain tires. Thus the question: Any suggestion on a good rain/street/track tire. I'm sure this has been asked in the past and its not exactly within this thread's gist, but if anyone will know its the guys watching this thread.

Thanks;

Don
Old 05-11-2005, 03:18 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to agree with Joe P. My experience with MPSCs was awful........terrifying in fact. My 2400lb Targa just couldn't get enough heat in them to make them stick. Looped it a few times at several different events, including a 720 at 15 at Sebring. Gave them away after that.

Better off with the Toyo's or Yoko on a car less than 3000, my .02.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

i drive on the street with my shaved RA1s, to the track, usually practice and qualify on them, and then race on the hoosiers (mainly due to them being 5lbs lighter a corner) however, recently, my stock of used hoosiers are getting thin, and im probably going back to just racing and practicing on the toyo RA1s.
short answer, street and track, Toyo RA1s.
mk
Originally Posted by 993944S2
I will be in D with a stock 993 at the WGI club race. I'm a low budget guy. I pull a small trailer with my tires, etc. My street tires are also my rain tires. Thus the question: Any suggestion on a good rain/street/track tire. I'm sure this has been asked in the past and its not exactly within this thread's gist, but if anyone will know its the guys watching this thread.

Thanks;

Don
Old 05-12-2005, 05:46 AM
Orjan
Advanced

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but have anyone made comparisons to Toyo Trampio R1R? We are running these on our tracked 944, and while it's the first tire we ever experienced on a track with a racing car - we are impressed. It is very forgiving in terms of slip and gives plenty of signals before slipping (acutally it's quite hard to make it slip even with purpose).

I had the RA1's on my street 944 Turbo S for a while, and they were absolutely astonishing.. great wear, beautiful grip (at least compared to any normal sport rubber) and amazing qualities in the wet.
I haven't been able to track both the RA1 and the R1Rs so I can't make much of a comparison.

Is it true though, that Toyo is stopping production of the RA1? Maybe I misunderstood my supplier, perhaps it is just certain ranges of dimensions that was not produced anymore. I mean.. racing people seem to be talking more about the RA1s now than ever...

/ØRjan
Old 05-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
For a rain/street/track tire you can't beat the Toyo RA-1. They'll work great in the rain on the track, much better than street tires. They'll also wear reasonably well for a track tire on the street. You'll want to get them full tread for rain use, so that will limit their use as a dry track tire. They can be your emergency dry track tires, but if you run them too much in the dry they'll lose too much tread to be effective in the rain.

Quick Reply: R rubber ranking