Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Responsibility Driving Someones Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:52 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would hire a pro to do it. They are less likely to feel bad if they wreck. Since you seem to know Norm, it would be awkward to hang out with him if something went wrong during his session with your car. Keep it impersonal and business like
Old 04-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

CC,
I think what Mitch said is a valid point. David Murry is one pro driver that does a lot of one on one instruction. I can think of a few other. I can also think of a couple others that would be a good choice as well. Send me a PM if you want their numbers, etc.
Greg
Old 04-11-2005, 12:06 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO any clear arrangement you make between two people governs. If you both agree that if the guy *****-up your car, you'll eat it, fine.

Otherwise, I rarely dirve other people's cars, and if I do I drive well within my limits and am very careful in traffic. I only let friends I totally trust dirve my car, but IMHO, if you offer to let somebody drive you car, YOU are taking the risk. I would not expect them to pay for damage, but certainly would hope that if they felt responsible they would volunteer to help.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

I agree w/ RJay that there are distinctions here. If someone asks to drove [sic] your car, he is placing a huge responsibility upon himself period. If on the other hand I ask someone to drive my car (specifically for the purposes you state), then it is I that is taking a huge responsibility. I have taken on not only the financial responsibility if something were to happen but I also take on the added safety concerns and am presumably saying that the car is inherrently safe for that person to drive at speed (I owe it to the person to mention anything that I feel could in any way change their viewpoint of their safety in my car and anything that I know *could* be wrong or questionable).

Mitch, how would you further distinguish a "pro?" Pro in the sense of having a Pro Racing license or Pro as in if they didn't have a ride, they couldn't afford to race on their own means or Pro as in under the employment of a factory race team?

Man, I take too long to type I totally agree w/ what JCP911S says at the last there; I too would not expect any money but would appreciate help in whatever form they can offer.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:12 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

BTW, in DE when instructing, I always take the student's car out for the first two laps for two important resons.
1- make sure the car is safe mechanically.
2- show the track.

I know this has been debated before but I am adamant about this. If a student refuses, no problem, I just find them another instructor. When I am driving someone else's car I drive very slow and keep a safe distance from other cars. I don't want anything to happen and it also sets the tone of respect for my student. It is a bad reflection on the club and sport when an instructor uses these laps to have fun in a nice car, and the student doesn't get to see the track very well if (s)he is worried about their car.

I would never take anyone else's car out for a hot lap unless it was rented from a professional business.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitch236
BTW, in DE when instructing, I always take the student's car out for the first two laps for two important resons.

<snip>

It is a bad reflection on the club and sport when an instructor uses these laps to have fun in a nice car, and the student doesn't get to see the track very well if (s)he is worried about their car.
Not to mention that the first two laps should absolutely be warm-up laps for the car and driver and this is an excellent opportunity for an instructor to practice what they preach (they certainly ought to be preaching nice easy warm-ups). I'd damned sure find another instructor if they drove hard in the first two laps.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:31 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I consider taking a student's car out for a couple recon laps in the first group to be a totally different situation. Depending on the club this might me a requirement of the school. Certianly, you will be driving 5/10ths and pointing out track features and line. But personally, I only do this if the student insists. I prefer to take them out in my car.

I am very uncomfortable driving other people's cars. Especially people I don't know.... like students. I've seen people put their car in the wall and shrug and other freak out over a stone chip....you just never know....
Old 04-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Not to mention that the first two laps should absolutely be warm-up laps for the car and driver and this is an excellent opportunity for an instructor to practice what they preach (they certainly ought to be preaching nice easy warm-ups).
Exactly! I have always used those 2 laps to show the student the exact line, and the speed that I expect them to be going, no faster! Many times I am not even taking the motor over 5 grand. And I try to do it ability appropriately, i.e. if they are a blue student who has never seen the track but has a lot of events under their belt, it will be faster than a raw green student.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ColorChange
The reason I want Norm is his car is very similar and he is damn good.
Actually, Norm has driven my car. In 2003, we were at VIR and Norm was instructing my father (in my car). Norm's 951 racecar only had one seat, so he drove the car (moderatly hard) in a Green session. Norm's so mild mannered (at least in person ) I didn't even worry about it.

Quick Reply: Responsibility Driving Someones Car?