Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a quick answer on driving suit rules!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Scott Turnbull
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a quick answer on driving suit rules!

Hey guys,

I am building a car for PCA Club and SCCA racing. I have reviewed the rules for safety equipment and found SA95 for helmet, 5 years or newer for belt webbing, etc.. But I can not find any DATE limitations to fire suits. I only found the FIA and SFI ratings and rules for Nomex underwear for non-3 layer suits with specific ratings.

Is there a date of manufacture (or some other expiration) limit to driving suits?

The suit I am looking at is a Sparco Top 5 3 layer with a manufacture date of 2001.

I appreciate your help.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Suits do not have an expiration date. They're good until you wear a hole in them, or can't fit in them anymore.

Edit: Oh yeah...every sanctioning body I race with required belts to be replaced every two years, unless they have FIA certification for 5 year life.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Scott Turnbull
Racer

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Suits do not have an expiration date. They're good until you wear a hole in them, or can't fit in them anymore.

Edit: Oh yeah...every sanctioning body I race with required belts to be replaced every two years, unless they have FIA certification for 5 year life.
Thanks a TON! I appreciate the quick response! Didn't want to plunk down the $$ and then get surprised!
Old 04-11-2005, 04:08 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,
Careful with the SA95 minimum. The SA2005s are becoming avaiable this year, so sanctioning bodies may move to make the SA2000 the oldest acceptable helmet spec. Some are already doing this. Don't buy an SA95 even if it is NOS. The 2000s will be cleared as the 2005s start to hit the shelves later this year.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Scott Turnbull
Racer

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Scott,
Careful with the SA95 minimum. The SA2005s are becoming avaiable this year, so sanctioning bodies may move to make the SA2000 the oldest acceptable helmet spec....
Tony,
Thanks for the heads up! I did buy an SA 2000 so I should be OK for a while.

Quick Reply: Need a quick answer on driving suit rules!