Sponsored by:

Tool help-->cordless impact wrench

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Tool help-->cordless impact wrench

Any recommendations for a cordless impact wrench to assist in the changing of wheels at the track. Trying to keep it under $150, but I am so sick of spining the tire wrench that any price may be worth it.

TIA,

Jeff
Old 03-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Check out harbor freight tools. They have reconditioned ones that would fit the bill.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Harbor Freight has 1/2 cordless impact wrenches on sale for $99. I picked mine up two days ago, unfortunately it doesn't work so it's going back for a replacement.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:09 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using one of these for the past year or so and love it. I've got most of my friends hooked on them. For $129, you can't match it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46701

I usually torque to 100ft/lbs and it has no problems all weekend at the track with just one battery. I've got friends that paid $400-$500 for a Snap-On, but I've had great luck with mine.

George
Old 03-18-2005, 11:15 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Harbor Freight units are cheap ($69 is the low I have seen) but from what I have seen with the 4 or 5 that folks had around here do not last even in light duty. Of the bunch that were all bought one is still in use. There is a small plastic gear that fails and often.They will send you more but why mess around fixing a tool that is intended to save time? The best unit by far is the Snap-on unit but it is $400+ It is light weight, has a well made variable speed trigger and you can gently set a 10mm nut or blast off a lug nut. The 1/2 unit made by Milwaukee ($300) is way too heavy at 10 + pounds is large and has poor trigger control. The ½ DeWalt 18 volt unit ($300) is a good bang for the buck and much lighter than the Milwaukee unit and has good trigger control. There are also a bunch of other good tools that take the same battery. All 3 are 250 to 300 pounds torque.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:31 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Kurt, there are several Harbor Freight units. I've tried a couple of them and the only one I would use is the one l've linked up above. I know several that have the unit above ($129) and are quite pleased with it, even under heavy duty work. We actually change the suspension of 996TT to PSS9's with it. I brought my air tools and compressor plus an extra battery. Guess what, we did it on one battery. That included taking the wheels off several times to get the ride height close before it was alligned.

George
Old 03-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by George A
I've been using one of these for the past year or so and love it. I've got most of my friends hooked on them. For $129, you can't match it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46701

I usually torque to 100ft/lbs and it has no problems all weekend at the track with just one battery. I've got friends that paid $400-$500 for a Snap-On, but I've had great luck with mine.

George

That's the one I just bought for $99, that doesn't work. I'll take it back and get another, hopefully the second will be fine.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:49 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lemming
That's the one I just bought for $99, that doesn't work. I'll take it back and get another, hopefully the second will be fine.
Are you sure it's the same exact one? They have another one that looks similar (orange and gray) but but has a different action (slow big hits) while this one has short, quick hits just like the SnapOn units. If you did find the one I'm talking about for $99, I might be inclined to get another one for that price.

George
Old 03-18-2005, 12:05 PM
techno99
Racer

My Harbor Freight unit is about year and a half old and still going strong.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:09 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

My Harbor Freight unit is 2 years old and works like new (dirty, though). Best track tool I've purchased.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:11 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah, the harbor freight rocks! it takes off the torqued lug nuts like its nothing...great tool!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:21 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HF that George posted look like the good one. They have another which is a flywheel-based design that is not what we need - slow big hits.

My HF has been going strong for several years now. Of the batch of six or so that were bought by local guys, most have broken the [steel] pinion gear at one time or another. IF it breaks, the part is a couple dollars and the R&R takes a few minutes. I carry spare pinion gears just in case it throws another one at the track. No trigger control - its on or off, but that's OK for lug nuts.

Kurt's right about the Snap-On - its a thing of beauty, and works like a dream. My HF nasty is still going strong, but I'd drop it like a warm dog dropping if a Snap-On came my way.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another option...between the Snap On beauty queen...and the HF nasty ...is the Milwaukee

rugged & dependable

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba...CategoryId=362
Old 03-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

i have the Snap On, works great battery life is decent.... highly reccomended. Pretty sure it was a couple $ over 150 though
Old 03-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by George A
Are you sure it's the same exact one? They have another one that looks similar (orange and gray) but but has a different action (slow big hits) while this one has short, quick hits just like the SnapOn units. If you did find the one I'm talking about for $99, I might be inclined to get another one for that price.

George
I'm pretty sure that's the one, I'll check when I get home.

Quick Reply: Tool help-->cordless impact wrench