looking for aluminum enclosed trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 11:42 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for aluminum enclosed trailer

Interested in a used 20' - 24' aluminum enclosed trailer. Any leads appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:45 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi;

Are you keeping an eye on the ebay trailer section?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin,
If you do look at new trailers, I'd urge you to take a look at the ATC - several of us have bought them and been very happy with the quality, features, options & pricing. I'm very happy with mine (you can see pictures at https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170470).
I ordered mine through Rezner Trailers in Duncan, OK (not too far away from you) - I'd recommend Bob Rezner to anyone; great service, great pricing, great person... I don't have a phone number with me since I'm overseas but his email is: rezner@reznertrailers.com.
Good luck,
Rick
Old 02-25-2005, 10:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
Kevin,
If you do look at new trailers, I'd urge you to take a look at the ATC - several of us have bought them and been very happy with the quality, features, options & pricing. I'm very happy with mine (you can see pictures at https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170470).
I ordered mine through Rezner Trailers in Duncan, OK (not too far away from you) - I'd recommend Bob Rezner to anyone; great service, great pricing, great person... I don't have a phone number with me since I'm overseas but his email is: rezner@reznertrailers.com.
Good luck,
Rick
Wow, a double seconding on this one! I love my 20' ATC and also ordered from Bob Rezner. His customer service was unparalleled. I never met the guy, just dealt with him over phone and email. My trailer was somewhat custom and delivered direct to my house from the factory. He is cheaper than dealing with ATC direct...

This pic gives you a sense of the trailer:

Old 02-26-2005, 02:34 AM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Wow, Dr. J your trailer is beautiful. What did that cost, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if your shy, but I'd really like to know. That looks perfect!!
Old 02-26-2005, 09:47 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vegasgolf98
Wow, Dr. J your trailer is beautiful. What did that cost, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if your shy, but I'd really like to know. That looks perfect!!
Short answer: ~$17k delivered.

Long answer: I wanted an all aluminum trailer for the low weight and for the corrosion resistance (ever actually looked at the underside of a steel trailer?). I wanted an enclosed trailer because I bring my family to the track (two kids and dog) and I wanted the kids to finally have a place to call "home" at the track. They had spent too many weekends sitting in the SUV when it was raining, etc. Not great for the SUV and sad for me. With the enclosed trailer, they have a playroom, we carry a lot of toys, etc.. So I wanted to get something that met all these criteria and would last me 10+ years without me wanting more. I am also limited by my town's zoning to a 20' trailer (unless I can put it inside, which I can't). So that dictated my size choice.

The ATC 20' trailer's base price when I bought a few years ago was $8,791 (model with 5200# axles, twin brakes). I added these options:

Escape door
5' ramp extensions
spare tire
upgraded aluminum wheels and tire sizes
6" additional height (figuring adults would spend a lot of time standing in the trailer and this reduced the claustrophobia (sp) effect of most enclosed trailers)
4' fold up tire racks (2)
18' awning
.050 aluminum exterior (upgraded thickness, resists warping)
aluminum extruded floor
aluminum extruded ramp
in floor spare tire mount
aluminum walls and ceiling
insulated walls
insulated ceiling
reinforce and wire for future AC
8' of e-track
lower cabinet
upper cabinet
stainless steel countertop
side door bracing for Pit Pal shelf
additional 48" fluorescent light
2x additional GFI receptacles
1 12V receptacle
1 additional switch
12V battery and box wired
back-up lights
fender lights
"exterior package" (screwless exterior, anodized corners, 12" bright trim, 2nd set of tail lights)
110 wire package (2 48" fluorescent lights, 2 GFI receptacles)
25' land line
30 amp breaker box

I also had them customize the height of the escape door to ensure a Cup Car's door could open through it. ATC did not quite get it right the first time and to their credit they took the trailer back and built me a new one! So, there is a near-twin of my trailer out there somewhere.

We're very happy with the trailer. Compared to some of the rigs you see at the track it doesn't look like much, but I gave a lot of thought to this trailer's design (where to place swtiches, lights, etc) and am very happy with the results.

Btw, Rezner discounts 10% off the ATC websites prices (at least he did for me a few years back).
Old 02-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

www.racingjunk.com
Old 02-27-2005, 07:36 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Greg,
Thank you for that link. I'm looking for a used, open, aluminum trailer and I found one a few hundred miles North of me on the racingjunk site. A fellow Rennlister who visits the area regularly, is checking it out today. Thanks again for the lead....
Old 02-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Greg,
Thank you for that link. I'm looking for a used, open, aluminum trailer and I found one a few hundred miles North of me on the racingjunk site. A fellow Rennlister who visits the area regularly, is checking it out today. Thanks again for the lead....

Cool. I have cruised that site for a year or so now and it is getting so big it is hard to get a handle on all the trailers out there. They need some software upgrades to allow searches based on type or size of trailer.

Another good trailer dealer is www.trailerworld.com and they often have used trailers.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:11 AM
nman413
Drifting

John, got the track bug bad huh?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:33 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by icerbofh
John, got the track bug bad huh?
Yea Jauder, It drives me nuts though to spend good money on a trailer that could be used for serious mods like Motons, more camber, rims & tires, not to mention more HP....
Old 02-28-2005, 12:39 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Rick/Charlie

Thanks for the lead, I'll give Bob a call today. What size axles are you guys using? I assume you got the Quest model? I'd like to get an undersized trailer (20' or 22') since I will be towing at first with a 1/2 ton and I personally don't want to deal with a huge trailer in my life. Any complaints with not getting a 24'? What options have you found to be worth the $? (wedge, tire rack, tiled floor?) Thanks.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:46 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kev
Rick/Charlie

Thanks for the lead, I'll give Bob a call today. What size axles are you guys using? I assume you got the Quest model? I'd like to get an undersized trailer (20' or 22') since I will be towing at first with a 1/2 ton and I personally don't want to deal with a huge trailer in my life. Any complaints with not getting a 24'? What options have you found to be worth the $? (wedge, tire rack, tiled floor?) Thanks.
5200# axles. I wouldn't go small here. You get bigger bearings, brakes, and GVW with them. I might never put 10,400# in this trailer, but I like the contingency.

I am perfectly happy with 20'. I can pull my car in and have 2'+ of space between the nose and the cabinets. That is plenty of space for bike, coolers, bags, and whatnot.

I like everything I got, so check the list above. I did not go wedge as it would have made the box part of the trailer longer and I had to stick to something I could pass off to the town as 20'. It is a nice idea for aerodynamics. The main drawback of my trailer is it is a big brick. The square front combined with the 6" extra height AND slightly raised floor (to allow for low escape door height) make it very tall. My top speed with my 7.3L diesel Excursion is no more than 80-85mph (plenty for towing, but occassionally my caravan-mates outgun me up a hill and I try to catch up...).

Some other considerations: my spare is in the floor. I like this because it gets it out of the way. Some don't like it because it means you have to back the car out of the trailer to access the spare to fix a flat on the trailer.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jason,
That was a great trailer. I got fortunate and bought a friend's trailex as he went to an enclosed model. It was a no-brainer.

I will be at MO in April. See you there.

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 11-22-2005 at 10:15 PM. Reason: removed quote - Advertising by non-sponsor
Old 03-01-2005, 08:13 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg/Jason, you guys going to NASA MO April1-3 ? If so, see you guys there...

My friend Paul and I will be in garage 12 & 12A...

Norm

Quick Reply: looking for aluminum enclosed trailer