Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire changer & balancer...for the garage!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire changer & balancer...for the garage!

Well, I just bought a tire changer and balancer. It's not the highest quality out there, but it is the top of the line stuff from this company, is spec'd to do runflat and mini spares, and it looks like it will be good for my garage use. I change between 60 and 80 tires a year, between my work trucks, personal cars and our track toys. I just got tired of constantly spending time going to a dealer and paying $25 a pop. And wouldn't you know it, the very day I got them my wife hit a pothole in her car and needed 2 new tires. After not being thrilled with my purchases, didn't she come to me with her tail between her legs!

Anyway here they are in all their red glory. It's nice to be able to change your own tires.

Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Curt911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will that little air compressor get the job done? Nice set!
Old 02-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It does build up enough pressure to run the locks and bead breaker but it's just temporary. I have to move the real compressor that I have in my attached garage over to here.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
It does build up enough pressure to run the locks and bead breaker but it's just temporary. I have to move the real compressor that I have in my attached garage over to here.

I was just wondering....that thing looked small! Keep us posted on how it works!
Old 02-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Larry,
Funny that you should post this, I was knocking around ebay looking for a winch and found a guy in Indy that sells the package like yours. I have not done the math yet but I think it should pay for itself in about a season and a half just changing track tires. My only concern is the the ballancer being able to do high speed race wheels and how the bead breaker would work with alum wheels. Please keep us posted as to your results. The set on ebay was about 1900.00 (in blue not red.)
Old 02-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Eric, I saw those models on ebay, but they are definitely cheaper units. If you check out the Greg Smith Equipment website, the best tire changer and tire balancer he has there are essentially the same as what I have. Mine were made/imported by Complete Hydraulics and sold through Callahan products here in Phila. I have used the changer and it works great.

So far, the largest tires I have done are Yokohama S03s 245/40 17s and it handled them pretty easily. I have not completely figured out the balancer yet. The instructions are not complete. In one place, it tells me to refer to a section that is not there. It also refers to a button that is not on my machine, and also not in the identical unit they picture in the instructions.

Anyway, the real test will be when I breakdown and re-mount one of the GT3s rear tires. That should be pretty soon so I'll let you know.

Last edited by Larry Herman; 02-19-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:04 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
I have not done the math yet but I think it should pay for itself in about a season and a half just changing track tires.
Hah!

When you price a top quality tire machine at $4-6k... that's a lot of tire mounting!!! Still, there is nothing like not being at the mercy of someone else, especially if they are not as particular as you or don't understand your purpose.

Good show, Lar. Getting the assist armature was a key move. The low profile stiff sidewall tires are virtually impossible without it. Having the rim clips that keep the tire below the bead surface is helpful sometimes too.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
After not being thrilled with my purchases, didn't she come to me with her tail between her legs!
LOL...

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
I have not done the math yet but I think it should pay for itself in about a season and a half just changing track tires
Stop flat spotting your tires Eric....

I did the math...it would take MANY years for me to make back the money for a tire changer/balancer......
Old 02-19-2005, 10:19 PM
nman413
Drifting

Kim, that's because you always buy 2 of each!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,802 Likes on 2,376 Posts

larry, i thought my buddy, kim, is insane. now i know you are light years ahead of him ;-)
Old 02-21-2005, 05:32 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK Larry you have to tell us who you ordered it through, and at least an approximate of how much you paid. I have a big enough shop to put that in, and a few of us around here have thought about going into together and buying a setup like that.

Any numbers you can share?

Brian
Old 02-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Brian, I bought them from Callahan Products in Oreland, PA, just north of Philadelphia. Kevin's number is 215-768-4136. He is my neighbor and he is developing a second business selling lifts and tire equipment. He is a great guy and will stand behind his products. I love the lift that I bought, and feel that it has features that are better than some of the big names (Rotary, Mohawk, Bend-Pak). So far, the tire changer works great, and we are working out the bugs on the balancer (poor directions which he is fixing). I think that he will be charging about $2800 or so for the tire machine and about $1600 or so for the balancer, but you will have to talk to him for the exact prices.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:58 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Larry:

You know who is about to knock on your doors.

Kam
Old 02-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ZBlue996Kam
Larry:

You know who is about to knock on your doors.
Yeah Kam, only my friends, only my friends.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:47 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Larry:

I will not borther you too much as I don't really change tires that much.

Not driving fast enough to eat up tires like you.

Kam

Quick Reply: Tire changer & balancer...for the garage!