Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new tow vehicle. Looking to hear from 4Runner, Pathfinder, or Touareg owners.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 11:17 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need new tow vehicle. Looking to hear from 4Runner, Pathfinder, or Touareg owners.

I currently have a 2002 Ram1500. I use it 20,000+ miles/yr as a daily driver. Work commute is 90 back road miles round trip. The new driveway and garage are smaller. I am looking to downsize.

I am wondering how the V6 4Runner, new Pathfinder (only offered in V6) or V6 Touareg would handle the job. I don't want a V8 because of cost and mileage issues. (I currently average 14mpg)

I am thinking of going with a lighter trailer as well. My current one is 1600#. Getting a 900# aluminum would make it that much easier on the tow vehicle.

My car is 2600# and I will have 200# of spare wheels and 125# of tools, jack, and other stuff. Total tow weight around 3900#...which all of these vehicles are rated to handle...but how well?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to tow my 944 spec (2450 lbs plus spare tires, tools etc) on an open trailer behind my 98 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L.

It towed ok at best and got worry some on hills. It really taxed the small motor. I since changed to a 99 dodge 2500 V10. I like this much better. It is over kill and I don't need to drive it every day, but towing is breeze.

Right now the truck is my father's that I borrow. If I am in a bind I could tow the car behind my ML320, but would rather not. The 4.3 V8 or 5.0 V8 are much better suited to towing.

Unfortauntly most 6's are weak for towing. HP is not as imporant as torque.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I had a '99 V6 4Runner with a 5 speed and towed for a year with it. It was underpowered. I found myself in 3rd or 4th gear a bunch, but I was also cruising at 80 mph. I sold the 4Runner and bought the Sequioa mostly for tax reasons (SUV/business law) and because, obviously, I needed a better tow vehicle.

I believe the new 4Runner with the V8 has the same tow capacity as my V8 Sequoia. I've been mostly happy with the current truck, except for the small 26 gallon fuel tank.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:47 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. Although not directly comparable to current models the input is appreciated.

The current V6 4Runner is a totally different beast than a '99. The engine is 245 hp/282 trq. which is 70hp/65trq more than what you had.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:04 PM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, I just got a Tundra V8 and it gets almost 20MPG which is almost as good as the V6 plus it's towing capacity is much higher. I averaged 9mpg to Sebring towing a 20' enclosed trailer.

Cheers, James
Old 02-18-2005, 02:06 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris;

None of the vehicles you mention are even close to worthy in my opinion. I'm not into marginal when my investment and my neck are at stake. Your needs may indeed be different, but I consider what you are using NOW as marginal. Lots of people tow with marginal or worse vehicles. They are on borrowed time.

Brakes, weight, length, power is actually last on the list, but not by much... 3/4ton HD GM (or equivalent) chassis at the least.

SIZE MATTERS.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Curt911
Pro

I agree with Redline Man, I would look for a diesel perhaps, but the little money you save on fuel with a less capable truck would not be worth it to me in towing safety and the ability to carry a decent load without wearing out your daily driver...
Old 02-18-2005, 04:42 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Brakes, weight, length, power is actually last on the list, but not by much... 3/4ton HD GM (or equivalent) chassis at the least.
This is some very accurate guidance. You should really speak with some old hands in the trailer industry and they can tell you what the most important items are to shop for. I heard time and time again that wheelbase was a critical factor in towing, and things like "you don't want to tow a trailer which is longer than your tow vehicle", etc. etc. In the end we got a 2004 Durango with the Hemi engine because my wife loved driving it around town, it has an 8900# towing capacity, but is only used about 5% of its life to tow. My car is between 2500-2600#, and the trailer is an open bed steel one which weighs about 1500#, for a total towed weight of about 4000#. I almost don't feel it back there (which I like, a lot), and I usually average about 16mpg when towing, even though the Durango's motor is still breaking in (less than 5000 miles on it). And that is with the Hemi!

Tom
Old 02-18-2005, 04:43 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I agree that you can't really have too big of a tow vehicle but I disagree that you should be worried about going to 50%-80% of a vehicle's rated capability.

I also believe that the object being towed should never big bigger than the tow vehicle itself. At that point which end is doing the driving?

I have been pulling 4,300 lbs with my truck for three seasons and I would hardly call it marginal.

Safety factor is always good. If you have the money, space, and resources to have a fourth vehicle that is a diesel dually then of course that's the ideal route to take.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:06 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

When I very frist started towing I had a V8 Explorer. It towed my lightweight 914 & trailex like a champ. It was at my first event at Mid Ohio while towing back. A friend and I were cruising along at 75+ the whole way...life seemed fine...until I crested a hill and the woman in front of me jammed on her brakes. I basically had to go to full braking power. The 2 semis behind us each went onto the shoulder...one left, and one right...smoke pouring from the wheels. Though I probably had 5-6 car lengths between me and the woman in front, I missed her by 6" max. Needless to say, it changed my view on towing. So, buy the best tow vehicle you can afford (the explorer was actually fine for towing, just don't expect to drive at 75+, nor should you anyway while towing).

Now with your list, I would probably say the Touareg is the best. It has better brakes and suspension than the rest (and you don't want to overlook how important braking is). My Cayenne S tows very well (and also stops very well).
Old 02-18-2005, 06:33 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Did yu have dual axle brakes? I do agree with you that the bigger the brakes the better. I am just pointing out that you can add a tremendous amount of braking power for just a small amount of upcharge. I think every trailer should have brakes on all axles.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chris,
My friend has a 4Runner with the V8 and it has enough ***** to tow a car. But if your interested in going for a really amazing tow truck, check this out that I am selling:

2004 Ford F-350 Diesel 6L, 4x4, Crew cab, Lariot model, all Leather, Heated Seats, Heated pull out tow mirrors, Keyless entry on door and remote clickers, 6-CD Player, Adjustable pedal height and steering wheel, cruse control, Electronic mileage calculator/distance, Electric sliding rear window, Back up object warning beeper, Fold down split rear seat with beverage console. Off road and HD Towing package, 100% Factory Warranty still in effect, 100,000 Warranty on Motor, 36/36,000 on balance of truck , 21K miles, Sticker $46,160, Has all options. 1 Owner, Ford Dealer Serviced at recommended intervals, PM me if interested. Price 36,900 B/O.

Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 02-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Z06 convert
Instructor

With your load what I use would be a dream to tow with.

I tow a 3,400 # Camaro on a 1,200# open trailer with tires, tools and misc(in the truck) I'm prob. at 5,000# plus. I've tow about 100,000 of the 140,000 on my 99 GMC half ton extended cab. with 5.3L V-8.

1. I tow about 67-70MPH (sames a lot of lane changes)
2. I get 12.5-13 MPG (17-18 on freway w/o trailer.

Most important items:
1. weight distributing hitch (big plus I think increases towing to 8,500 or 10,000 lb's) or as a minimum sway control bar.
2. 4 wheel trailer brakes (I have surge but would prob. get electric due to the adjustability. I like to know the trailer is stopping first)
3. tong weight is very important ( don't over due it)
4. Braking ability and stability...Braking ability and stability....braking ability and.. (sometime when you can't stop it's nice to be able to manuver, and I have.)

Truck tows at 65-70 in "tow mode" without a lot of shifting. Will tow all day at 75 but it shifts for the overpasses. (would like a 6.0L for the torch but works fine). I don't need to go up hills at 75. This set up will go up the steppest part of the HWY 5 grape vine at 55 to 60. If I buy another truck it will be a 3/4 ton. ONLY because I want an enclosed trailer.

In 99 GM went to BIG 4 wheel disk brakes, they are great. I added a little wider wheels and tires. This has been one of the most economical vehicles I have owned. Tires 40,000 miles. brakes at 110,000 miles. All I did was Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles and synthetic trans fluid every 50,000. Plugs at 100,000.

I think this truck is a comprmise (isn't everything) but gets the job done and I feel safe.

Have Fun! Steve
Old 02-19-2005, 10:24 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I towed with our '97 4Runner (187hp, 217 ft/lbs torque) for many years and probably 40k towing miles. I towed a 914 on a Trailex and then a Boxster S on the same trailer. It was 'ok'. Stability and braking were adequate but it required some well timed downshifts (the truck is a manual ) to maintain speed up hills (we learn about momentum driving on the track, too, right? ).

I now tow my fat turbo in an enclosed trailer using our Excursion diesel.

You can probably never have enough safety margin when towing. That includes both equipment and your approach to towing in general...
Old 02-19-2005, 01:00 PM
pieball
Racer

chrisp, I do a major amount of towing, period. Get the largest/heaviest vehicle that your situation allows.

Quick Reply: Need new tow vehicle. Looking to hear from 4Runner, Pathfinder, or Touareg owners.