Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new tow vehicle. Looking to hear from 4Runner, Pathfinder, or Touareg owners.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=chrisp]
I am wondering how the V6 4Runner, new Pathfinder (only offered in V6) or V6 Touareg would handle the job. I don't want a V8 because of cost and mileage issues. (I currently average 14mpg) QUOTE]

I tow a 911 on an open trailex behind my V-8 Taureg, so I'm normally towing between 3500 and 3700 lbs. The Taureg has a curb weight of 5268 lbs, a 6 speed automatic [tiptronic equiv.] and 310 hp at 6200 rpm. As you may know, it's full time 4WD. The Tuareg has a rock solid suspension system and it's highly stable when towing at speed. The braking system is superb. The fuel tank holds 26.4 gallons and highway mileage when towing is 13-14 mpg.

If you decide to spring for the Taureg, go for the V-8 model or the new V-10 diesel. You'll be glad to have that extra HP, in fact you'll probably need it, even with a lightweight trailer/car. Dan
Old 02-19-2005, 10:17 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hate to disagree with everyone here, so I WONT! Don't know how far you tow, but I'd chime in on the side of buying a diesel. I tow a 2100# car on an 1100# aluminum open trailer. I have an F250 diesel. Way overkill, right? Don't think so. Why? Because when you drive 14 hours to get to a track, you want to enjoy your track experience and arrive unstressed. If I want to go to an enclosed trailer later on (and I do) I won't have to change vehicles. Maybe if I lived somewhere were there wasn't much interstate traffic (does such a place exist anymore?) or I never drove more than an hour or so to the track, I might be tempted, foolishly, to undersize my tow vehicle. I'm glad I didn't because towing a load that weighs about half of what my truck does means that I barely know it's back there. And believe me that is a very good thing.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an ML430 to tow a 2800 lb car on an open steel trailer. When fully loaded, I'm at about 5000 lbs, the rated capacity. It tows at 80 mph without issue on the flats and up fairly steep hills at 60. My trailer has brakes on both axles to ensure good braking and the ML has an electronic brake controller added. I also have a weight distributing hitch and ensure proper tongue weight.

I've heard lots of opinions about the need for a tow vehicle thats bigger than the trailer. I'm puzzled why this is thought to be critical. When was the last time you saw a semi with a cab bigger/longer or heavier than the trailer?
Old 02-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest problem with towing is not to have the trailer controlling the tow vehicle. The rear mounted tow hitch is the real culprit. The problem is that the distance between the rear axle and the towing ball creates a lever that allows the trailer to drastically influence the back of the tow vehicle. Especially under severe braking, the trailer can easily push the unloaded rear of the tow vehicle around, causing loss of stability and jack-knifing. The big rigs that you see, and even some of the big pickups have the "ball" located directly above the rear axle(s) to eliminate this lever, and place up to 1/2 of the trailer weight over those tires. This makes for a much more stable platform, and allows a smaller vehicle to safely tow a larger trailer.

I do remember that there is some company that makes a hitch setup for trucks and SUVs that eliminates this lever effect. It is called the Pullrite System and it seems like and interesting though very pricy system. There is another one that I just found call the Hensley Arrow . They both run upwards of $2,000 and I don't know any more about them than what I have read.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-20-2005, 11:30 AM
pieball
Racer

Semi's asside, RJay's is in the ballpark with a 50% ideal tow rating. While I can see 75%, your asking for trouble. If you can feel that thing wiggling your ***, that's NOT good. Just because the manufacturer says it's ok, and it is physically possible doesn't mean you should do that. Many will also argue the point of, it's ok I'm only goin' 20min. to the track. Statistics say that most accidents occur with these short ventures, so that doesn't reduce any risk. Just refer back to your car; more control is a good thing.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:05 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I currently tow my 968 (3000#) with a V8 Touareg. The trailer is a 20' enclosed haulmark. I am close to 7000# overall. The Touareg tows very well with acceration and braking being very strong. Cross winds will move you around some. With an open trailer and good trailer brakes the Touareg is an awesome tow vehical. I get around 10 mpg into the wind and 14 with the wind behind me so figure about 12 mpg towing. There is only about 1-2 mpg difference between V6 and V8.

Mike
Old 02-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
I currently tow my 968 (3000#) with a V8 Touareg. The trailer is a 20' enclosed haulmark. I am close to 7000# overall. The Touareg tows very well with acceration and braking being very strong. Cross winds will move you around some. With an open trailer and good trailer brakes the Touareg is an awesome tow vehical. I get around 10 mpg into the wind and 14 with the wind behind me so figure about 12 mpg towing. There is only about 1-2 mpg difference between V6 and V8.

Mike
All I can say is be careful, that is a BIG trailer for a truck that light with a short wheelbase.
the first time you have to take evassive action @ over 75mph you'll be in the median and the rig will roll.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:14 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be real careful with the idea of using a certain percentage of rated tow capacity to think you are safer. Not all ratings are created equal. Consider 1) Short wheelbase Durango. Chassis and suspension hardly even qualify for being a light truck - far closer to a passenger car with a tow rating of almost 9,000 lbs. 2) My diesel Excursion. Long wheelbase and an F-250 truck chassis and suspension. Tow rating 10,000 lbs.

I have towed with both and would take the Excursion at 110% of rated load over the Durango at 70% any day of the week. On top of that I get 15mpg in the city with the Excursion and 20 mpg on the highway (not towing). Get the biggest, heavy-duty tow vehicle you can afford and can manage. It gives you far more options. For example, I end up with a trailer wieght of ~8,500 lbs and that is a very light car with lots of tools and spares. That means that what I really want is the car on last and all the heavy stuff up front. Messes up the tongue weight, but I have enough tow vehicle (and hitch) that I can get away with that. Just crank one more link on the hitch and it tows just as well as it does with 'proper' weight balance.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Curt911
Pro

final answer: get a V10 TDI Touareg
Old 02-20-2005, 06:11 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Curt911
final answer: get a V10 TDI Touareg
Not to be combative, but are you really gonna throw your extra set of dirty wheels tires and tools in the back of your $60K Toureg? For the cost of that you could have a top of the line trim Ford/Chevy/Dodge diesel and a fully outfitted 24+ ft aluminum trailer. If you don't want to drive the truck all the time, buy a Miata and an open trailer with the money you save. A Toureg has a 112" wheel base, a shortbed Supercab is around 142". Which of the two is truly designed to be a tow vehicle?

In the end you have to make compromises if you track a car. I gave up my nice little BMW for a truck. I'd much rather be driving that BMW to work than my F250, particularly here in NE in the winter. While the truck is actually somewhat fun to drive (you can chip them up to around 500 hp), when it came time for me to decide what to buy to tow, I recognized that I would often be taking my wife and son with me. I wanted the safest possible setup, not the coolest ride for the other 340 days a year when I'm not towing.

Statistically, the most dangerous thing we do when tracking our cars is getting there and getting home. A day will come when you have to drive a few hundred miles in the pouring rain surrounded on all sides by Semis. When that day comes, you'll be really glad you have a rig designed for towing. So wil your loved ones.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:49 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would not drive 75 mph. Instead I hold about 65 to 68 and drive very carefully. I have driven trailers all my life and have driven everything up to 45' semi trailers fully loaded. I also have a good brake controller and good trailer brakes.

In the end you have to run what you are comfortable with.

Mike
Old 02-20-2005, 07:00 PM
James Achard
Pro

While I agree that a super duper duallie diesel Jesuz truck is the way to go, not everyone has the funds to afford one. I tow a 20' enclosed with a Tundra and it's fine for me, for now. I have all the right stuff on it, excellent electric brake control, Reese weight dist. hitch and a sway bar on the way. I also do PM on my trailer before each tow and inspect it at every stop. I don't try to set any speed records going to events and excercise extreme caution while towing.

For the record, I had some clown pass me going near 90mph on the way back from the Glen towing an enclosed trailer while I was in my Porsche. This guy passed me like I was standing still, Is that really safe? We all know we must prepare for the inevidable accident somewhere along the line so we do what our means allow us to do. Just excercise a little common sense out there and know yourself and your equipment's limit.

Cheers, James
Old 02-20-2005, 08:49 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark & RJay,

I'm in your camp. I tow an enclosed 20' ATC and considered a Cayenne as a tow vehicle. I really really wanted to go that route as the Cayenne is a nice all-year Porsche and it is rated @ 7700 lbs towing. The scale would say that I would be under 7700 lbs towing with my trailer, car, and "stuff" (btw, we should really be talking GCWR, not trailer rating). However, the experience that Pesky 914 referred to earlier and the fact that my wife and kids (and dog!) are with me at the track 75% of the time led me to a "better" towing platform: Excursion diesel. As a family carrying trailer hauler, I don't think there is a better vehicle out there. We drove to Mosport last year (8 hours) and then across to Nova Scotia (20 hours) for vacation and then home (another 17 hours) last summer, trailer in tow the whole way. Not a problem. (Most of the tracks I go to routinely are anywhere from 1.5-8 hours away).

I also see 15 mpg mixed around town and 20 mpg highway (non trailer) with my Excursion diesel. It is a great vehicle.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
A day will come when you have to drive a few hundred miles in the pouring rain surrounded on all sides by Semis. When that day comes, you'll be really glad you have a rig designed for towing.
You must be describing the drive down 81 to VIR last November. Heavy pouring rain and fog all Thursday, all the way down, the whole 8 hours. I think I had more "puckering" during that drive than I did for the rest of the weekend!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:51 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James Achard
While I agree that a super duper duallie diesel Jesuz truck is the way to go, not everyone has the funds to afford one. I tow a 20' enclosed with a Tundra and it's fine for me, for now. I have all the right stuff on it, excellent electric brake control, Reese weight dist. hitch and a sway bar on the way. I also do PM on my trailer before each tow and inspect it at every stop. I don't try to set any speed records going to events and excercise extreme caution while towing.

Cheers, James
Fully agree and understand, but IMO, theres quite a difference between a Tundra (a truck I considered when I bought my Ford) and a mid-size SUV. The Tundras wheelbase is over a foot longer than a 4Runner or a Toureg. As far as $$$ go, yeah diesels aren't cheap, but a F250/350 gas can be had for the same $$$ as any other full size pickup, or any Japanese mid size V6 SUV and far less than any European V8 SUV. And yeah its true an American V8 gas will suffer a bit in comparison at the pump, although in regards to diesels, with the difference in price between regular and diesel fuel these days (about $.50 a gallon here in NE what the hell is up with that anyway?), I'm not sure theres much payback for owning an oil burner anymore except for all that lovely torque!

Yes, you can tow with a 110" WB vehicle. But to me its like racing with a roll bar instead of a cage. Its legal, and its cheaper, but it surely isn't the safest way to go.

Quick Reply: Need new tow vehicle. Looking to hear from 4Runner, Pathfinder, or Touareg owners.