Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new tow vehicle. Looking to hear from 4Runner, Pathfinder, or Touareg owners.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:52 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you James.

Basically what almost everyone here has said is that I NEED to spend $40k+ to tow my car to the track. I think you guys are a little tweeked.

Of course statistics show that most accidents occur near the home. Every trip you go on requires starting and stopping from home and that stretch nearby gets travelled 100% of the time.

I have driven in the rain for 5 hours to the Glen with semi's around (at certain times). 65+ the whole way in the Ram1500. Would a diesel dualie do a better job? Sure it would. Just like a cup car would lap faster than my SC. At some point reality hits and you make do with what you can afford. Some day when I am making $200k I will spoil myself with a fourth vehicle that cost me $40k and all I do is tow my car with it.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:53 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
It is a great vehicle.
I agree, except for that pesky speed limiter.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

You might want to look at a 3 or 4 year old F250 or Excursion with a diesel engine. Look at www.carmax.com I have seen then in the mid to low twenties.
FWIW I have towed my 993 on an open trailer with a ML430 that worked very well and surprised many that rode with me at how well it towed. Now I tow the same set up with a Yukon Denali with the 6.0 gas engine, it works great but would be way overtaxed with a real enclosed trailer, at that point I will find a used diesel truck/SUV.

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 02-20-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:57 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You must be describing the drive down 81 to VIR last November. Heavy pouring rain and fog all Thursday, all the way down, the whole 8 hours. I think I had more "puckering" during that drive than I did for the rest of the weekend!
Bingo!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:57 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
Thank you James.

Basically what almost everyone here has said is that I NEED to spend $40k+ to tow my car to the track. I think you guys are a little tweeked.
BASE price on the VW is $37k according to the VW web site. Twist the advice any way you want, but many are suggesting you need more truck to safely tow, not a more expensive truck.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:16 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
Thank you James.

Of course statistics show that most accidents occur near the home. Every trip you go on requires starting and stopping from home and that stretch nearby gets travelled 100% of the time.

I have driven in the rain for 5 hours to the Glen with semi's around (at certain times). 65+ the whole way in the Ram1500. Would a diesel dualie do a better job? Sure it would. Just like a cup car would lap faster than my SC. At some point reality hits and you make do with what you can afford. Some day when I am making $200k I will spoil myself with a fourth vehicle that cost me $40k and all I do is tow my car with it.
Not at all. You asked about a 4Runner, Toureg etc. I paid 36K for my F250 supercab Lariat brand new. Im sure there are plenty of 04 diesels around that can be had at substantial discount to the new 05. In either case thats about the same $$$ as the Toureg, perhaps a few more than a 4Runner. What we are saying is that you shouldn't buy a V6 short wheel base vehicle. If cost is a concern, I suggest you just keep your Ram.

CarsDirect.com quotes $200 over invoice for an '05 F250 Lariat Diesel Supercab at 33,945. They quote the base Toureg V6 at 35,555. A base Toyota 4Runner Sport at 28,232. So wheres the 200K a year come in?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

One more to throw in the mix: BMW X5
My manual transmission 6 cylinder X5 tows the 951 on a steel trailer (about 4,700 lbs total) with no problem whatsoever. It is rated at 6,000 lbs, it has excellent brakes and it is surprising stable. True, an F250 diesel is much better for this sort of thing but for many of us having a dedicated towing vehicle it is not an option. Based on my experience, the X5 is a decent compromise.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:34 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I am getting swayed in the direction of Tundra but with this I won't be able to downsize as intended....but I just may have to live with that. I need a reliable vehicle that I can own for 4-5 years without any appreciable work needed. So far only the Japanese products can somewhat promise me that.

I can't fit a diesel into my life unless it's an infrequent use vehicle which this won't be. This part isn't up for discussion.

I do appreciate all of the comments about shying away from a SWB vehicle whether it be a V8 4Runner (which can be had in the $28's by the way), a Touareg (nice vehicle but overpriced in my opinion), or a Cayenne (no comment). This is sound advice.

Maybe I'll just keep my current truck and plan on putting $2k-$3k into it in the next 2-3 yrs. I am out of warranty in 10-12 months.

It sucks to spend 2 hrs a day commuting in my truck. It has a 26 gallon tank and I fill it every four days. I am not giving up my job though.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Hi Chrisp

You received some very good imput. I've never minded driving my truck especally with the race car in tow Your Ram 1500 while a good truck for the money is prob. not a reliable as the Ford or GM units. I agree with your $40,000 for a tow vehicle is not where I want to spend my money. However, I would go 3/4 ton, extended cab..(I think the GM has a more comforable rear seat (Unless the rest have changed). Load you bed up with the tools etc

New GM or Ford's 3/4 ton are under $30,000 out the door. Will easily go 100,000+ miles with no problems. If your concerned a 100,000 warrenty is not all that expensive. With the bigger V-8 you don't need 4.10 gears so milage is not all that bad towing 10-13mpg. I just found my GMC 1/2 ton with 140,000 miles to be a bargain. Average it out over you 5 years and if it cost a couple cents per mile more I would consider it "insurance".

The statement regarding arriving rested is so true! I'm with you I drive 65 to 70 max.

Have Fun! Steve
Old 02-23-2005, 05:55 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I towed my 911, and then a 993 on a Trailex (#850) with eight mounted tires, tools, etc in the back of my 1997 Explorer with a 6 cylinder for 50k 0f its 105k miles with no problem. I went between 70 and 75 mph. I had air adj. shocks on it, and was very careful to make sure the trailer was properly balanced. I also used surge brakes. When the Explorer had 105k miles on it, I moved to a new V8 F150. The Explorer was OK, and I didn't realize what I was missing until I moved to a longer wheelbase truck. It is SO much easier to drive, I now know what people are talking about. I do believe that it is safer, but the Explorer worked fine because I was slower and more careful about balance ( and I kept up the brakes on both trailer and SUV). If I were to move to an enclosed trailer, I'd certainly get a diesel. But you can get away with an Explorer or a Jeep if you use an aluminum trailer and are careful about balance, speed, etc. if you don't have the resources to get a diesel dually, or some monster SUV. Bigger is always better, I agree, but I had 50k miles without any problems. JMHO
Old 03-01-2005, 04:14 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same set up as Hmotosports. Also have no problems towing
Old 03-01-2005, 06:23 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Getting a bit confusing in here. I was interested b/c I am also in the market for a tow vehicle.

You need a truck as a daily driver. You drive significant distances to work. You tow a 4,000 lb rig to and from track events.

How many events? How many are over a couple of hours? My longest tow is probably 8 hrs. I would not base my daily driver decision on 1 or 2 hauls to Mid Ohio per year. Suck it up, drive slowly and carefully for the few days a year you are actually hauling anything and enjoy the truck that you want to drive the 350 days of the year you are not towing.

A friend towed a 24' enclosed w/all the goodies with a Jeep Cherokee so anything is possible. If you were a professional driver/hauler towing your car somewhere every week that is one thing. If you're doing 10 - 20 track events per year that is something else. Personally, I'll be looking at the Cayenne, Tourag, or other shorter wheel base trucks so that I can manuever around the city for all the days I'm not towing.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:52 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I tow my 2500lbs 944 on an open steel & wood frame trailer.

I used to tow in behind my Jeep Cherokee 4.0-I6.

Well the Jeep was fine if keep to slow speeds and short distances with few hills. If I loaded the car on the right spot the tongue load was managable and with trailer brakes it stopped fine. Now local intown tows were not a problem.

I realized for out of town tows I would need more. So I started looking. Now if you guys know anything about me you will rememeber that I am cheap. I try to get by on local races of under $500 per event total cost and never had my race car painted since I did not want to spend the $200-300. (hey that is a track day).

So when I went looking for a truck cost was huge factor. It was 2002 when I started looking in earnest. Well came up with a 99 Dodge 2500 V10 quad cab 2wd, short-bed. Miles were 40k and price was like 16k. My plan was to split it's use with my father. Well it has worked out great. It does not see daily driver use mostly due to poor gas mileage (13 MPG unloaded), but tows great. I have towed in super down pours and across mountain ranges. Tows great and has enough space for all the crap I need to carry in the bed under a shell. The quad cab provides enough space to carry the family too.

I really consider the truck to be overkill for an open trailer, but if I invest in an enclosed unit then I won't need to upgrade the truck.

My take is this...
Short tows or very light trailer
Min spec - 5000 lbs tow cap SUV or small truck - Gets the job done, but may not be good for 8hr trip or up /down hills
Ideal - 1500/150 spec truck or SUV with V8 (~300 lbs torque) & 7000lbs cap.
Overkill - 2500/250 spec or greater

Long Tows - Open trailer
Min spec 1500/150 spec truck or SUV

Short tows - Enclosed
Min - 1500/150 spec truck or SUV 7000 lbs cap
Ideal - 2500/250 spec truck with big gas or diesel
Overkill - 3500/350 spec

Long Tows - Enclosed
Min 2500/250 spec truck with big gas or diesel
Ideal 3500/350 spec
Monster Overkill- Med Duty Truck
Old 03-01-2005, 06:53 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi,

I have a Durango with the 4.6 and I HATE towing with it. I also have a Touareg V8 and it makes towing a relative pleasure. No more hunting for gears (always needs an in-between gear and downshifts too much) and lousy brakes (BIG brakes!) Gas mileage is just as bad (both about 10 towing an open trailex with a 2300 lb 911). I love the Egg's air suspension, brakes, tiptronic, Xenon lights etc and the dealers are giving them away at invoice. Diesel would have been nice but the incentives on the V8 were too good to pass up and it has PLENTY of torque, on back roads up to Lime Rock it holds 6th gear most of the time. Best thing about this car is it beats all the others listed above 95% of the time - when you are not towing you drive in style and comfort in a vehicle with the R & D costs subsidized by our favorite ex-sportscar company.

The early ones had some reliability issues but seems better now. Unless you tow 20 times a year for long distance or have room for a truck in the yard you dont need to use every day, this seems the best compromise.

have fun!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:35 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for everyone's input on this subject.

I am buying a 4Runner V8. It's rated to 7000lbs, has more hp/tq, better brakes, and is 900lbs lighter than my Ram1500. I will put a weight dist. hitch on it.

It'll be a much better daily driver and for the 6-7 times I tow a year it'll be great. I have owned a box trailer before and I have no plans to go back anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Need new tow vehicle. Looking to hear from 4Runner, Pathfinder, or Touareg owners.