Sponsored by:

Racing Simulator, Frex + GTR

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005 | 05:52 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Color,
All I can say is that you have more in your sim than I have in my entire car!

So tell me again why you are limited in track time? You have funds, but I remember something about the wife not wanting you to race or something
like that!

Oh... yeah that is pretty cool set-up....
...if only had a Rich long lost uncle with no family ready to kick the bucket!
Old 02-09-2005 | 06:02 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe:

Two young daughters, 4 and nearly 6. They are priority #1. All my play time in the basement is after they are asleep. I don't like to take time away on the weekends so, few events. I also promised the wife I wouldn't race while they're young.
Old 02-09-2005 | 06:24 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

LOL!!!

You guys are altogether out of this universe!! Proof positive we men never outgrow toys, they just get more expensive. A LOT more expensive.
Old 02-09-2005 | 06:39 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ColorChange
OK, the Frex hardware was $2,700 including shipping. I got a sequential shifter as well as the H shifter. The wheel and seat were another $6-700. I bought a gaming computer ($2k) and will project it through my home theatre (110" screeen). I also have head tracking so when you turn your head, you look ahead through the turn.
Hey CC! Never mind what I said about selling the cars and buying a trailer in that roof rack thread, obviously you can just buy the truck and trailer and keep all the other stuff. Jeez, you not only drank the Kool-Aid, you bought the company!

Can't say I'm not envious though... hell I'd kill for the pedal setup alone...maybe I should spring for those Tiltons after all. Really cool setup!
Old 02-09-2005 | 07:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ColorChange
Joe:

Two young daughters, 4 and nearly 6. They are priority #1. All my play time in the basement is after they are asleep. I don't like to take time away on the weekends so, few events. I also promised the wife I wouldn't race while they're young.
I guess that is fair.

Hey ever think of one those county club race tracks. You know buy as house right there at the track. So get home after work and before dinner run a few hot laps then come home. Might be the answer as you have the track bug reall bad.

Rjay.. Yep color drank the kool-aid... Scarything is now he wants MORE
Old 02-09-2005 | 08:15 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I admit it's completely out of control but ... I have constraints and I am trying to do the best I can under my circumstances.
Old 02-09-2005 | 09:02 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is pretty wild CC. It would be cool to see how life-like you can make it. I was at the CEDIA show in Indy and saw a setup that was very similar to yours. It was a complete turnkey setup that used the same game.

It is good that you have your priorities straight and you spend time with your children and wife. As far as your priorities on your spending I think you are a little nuts...but who am I tell you how to spend it. It is goofy, but I like it.

Max
Old 02-09-2005 | 09:35 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Yes, there is a new one near me, Autobahn Country Club ... except it's not run like a country club. You have liability, but no true equity. You get 70% of your initiation back, and have no voting authority where 5 people really control evrything. Didn't like the arrangement so, no heavy tracking for me for the foreseable future.
Old 02-10-2005 | 01:34 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow CC! I want one too.

That being said I have a lot of experience with simulators and can comment on some of their strengths and weaknesses. In a previous life I was a flyer in a front line fighter unit with the USAF. We of course had simulators to augment our actual flying training and missions. My favorite sortie was a basic fight maneuvers (BFM) flight. For those unfamiliar, this is where you "turn and burn" and fight in a visual arena with another jet trying to gain the advantage and subsequent kill. VERY much like driving a high speed, high cornering forces type of car on a race track against somebody else (except you don't mort if you lose the race on the track). Anywho, although we could use a full visual 40 ft dome simulator (with full cockpit and control feedback etc) to practice BFM, the seat of the pants was missing and that turned out to be the most important aspect of BFM, again a bit like racing cars. We could show newbies the mechanics of a BFM engagement but practicing BFM in the sim wouldn't really improve anything beyond their basic skills. The simulators were excellent for emergency procedures and tactics/radar work. I would liken those missions to track familiarization (learning the line), practicing some track EPs (safe outs, both feet in, etc). Pushing the envelope was always easier in the sim as well, so if the data says you should be able to get through a corner at X speed, it would be great to try that in the sim before on the track.

All in all, I'm sure the setup will aid some areas of your driving skill. I'm more sure that it will be fun as H*ll! Keep us posted.
Old 02-10-2005 | 09:03 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Jim, it will certainly help. What repeatability do I drive with? How fast do I shift? How close to the limit do I drive the simulator (yes I can see my g-sum)? Set-up changes and resulting driving effects? Passing throught traffic? All of these things will be improved immensly.

But, will it really help in road feel and maintaining driving the limit in my car? Not greatly directly, I agree with you. But by honing the supporting skills so well, I will be able to focus on the poorly simulated things much better.

Still, a great learning tool .... and a whole lot of fun.
Old 02-10-2005 | 09:16 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I can find myself a copy of the full version of GTR, we'll need to get some multiplayer action going..

We'll see if that expensive setup of yours gives you any advantage!!!
Old 02-10-2005 | 10:47 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

CC,

I agree 100% with the sim being useful in many areas, especially something as high end as what you seem to be doing. I love it! Post your review soon. Shoot, I'm already starting down that slippery slope thinking about how rational it sounds to have a similar system shipped here to Korea. Hmmm, I still have six months here....It is probably cheaper than the year of DE events I missed out on....Yeah, yeah I deserve the same system....the wife won't have to know.... ;-)
Old 02-10-2005 | 11:07 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
If I can find myself a copy of the full version of GTR, we'll need to get some multiplayer action going..
download GTR2002, its free. you can download it at fileplanet.
Old 02-10-2005 | 11:15 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mroberts
All that to control a slot car set ?

That looks very cool! GP Legends is a VERY good game, just old(er) and not as fancy as newer games. Great dynamics! A lot of on-line help as well.

Cool project indeed!
Old 02-10-2005 | 11:32 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

download GTR2002, its free. you can download it at fileplanet.
Already have it, but you can't play mutliplayer if one person has GTR and the other has F1:2002+GTR2002.

Quick Reply: Racing Simulator, Frex + GTR