Sponsored by:

Super Cup vs GT3 R/RS/RSR

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 10:46 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Super Cup vs GT3 R/RS/RSR

I apologize in advance if this has been asked and answered.

What is the difference between a Super Cup and a GT3 R and its varients. I know the obvious likethe larger spoilers, fenders etc and additional horsepower in the "R", but what else sets them apart?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/175809-cup-car-difference.html

That should get You started. Hope that helps!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:51 AM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Glen:

Thanks. I know that someone is going to ask me the difference this weekend at Daytona and I wanted to at least have a semi-intelligent answer.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:40 AM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to be at Daytona and get asked that question the answer will contain 2 parts. First, you can find the actual differences in the referenced thread. Second, for Grand-Am, the only real difference is the bodywork since per the rules, each car must run the drivetrain and suspension from the GT3 Cup Car this season.

So there will be no true GT3R/RS/RSR's racing at Daytona this year.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:18 AM
TrackMan
Advanced

I am also going to Daytona and was a bit confused as well. Now I will REALLY sound like I know what I am talking about!

Just to clarify, will there be Cup cars running with RSR body work in the 24 Hour race or are you referring to the Grand Am Cup 200 race on Friday afternoon?

Really looking forward to the weekend. Weather is supposed to be cool but sunny. Beats the rain from last year.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

All Porsches running in the race will have sealed Supercup motors, cup brakes, and suspension. If you wish to run an R or RS you must switch all underpinnings to that of the cup cars however, you may run the R or RS bodywork. No bodywork of the RSR may be used though, since the RSR is based on the Street legal GT3RS and the Cup, R, and RS are based on the street legal GT3. For more info regarding what's in and what's out in Grand AM this year, go to Grand-Am rules

page 5 has the specs for the cup and gt3r,rs. Centerlock wheels are also not allowed.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:59 AM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The Rolex 24 Hour race will have the factory built racecars (GT3 Cup Cars and GT3R/RS with Cup Car underpinnings).

All of the cars racing in the Grand-Am Cup race (The Daytona 200 on Friday afternoon) will be race prepared street cars. Cory Friedman and I will be driving the Autometrics Motorsports prepared #45 Porsche 996 in this race.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are their any informed opinions on whether it is an advantage to run RS chassis and bodywork over cup car correlitives? I ask since the Flying Lizard team were so fast in practice.

Quick Reply: Super Cup vs GT3 R/RS/RSR