Sponsored by:

Appropriate racing games/sims

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Team SSR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Appropriate racing games/sims

Are there any racing games that have tracks from the South East region? I'm thinking it would help my son (and me) get familiar with the tracks before we get there. I know there are some that have Road Atlanta. Are there any others? It would be great to be familiar with VIR and Kershaw, etc. before we get there.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:01 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

GTR is the best simulator but I don't know if anyone has transfered those tracks.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is GTR and who is the vendor? Is it still supported? I stopped by several computer stores preparing for Christmas and saw nothing but Need for Speed Underground which one of my sons already has, and for what its worth it is no where near as much fun (to me) as NFS Porsche - an older game. We have many computers here and I thought it would be interesting to network them during the off season. The older did WG, Summit Point, and VIR last year -- and the youngest is anxious to start driving the events this year. It certainly would have been useful to read the track tips and 'drive' the track before actually arriving.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Team SSR
Instructor

It's an electronics arts game. Here's a link for a demo. http://www.electronic-arts.de/publis...1&spieleid=680
Old 01-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this only available from Europe? I can't seem to find GTR on the U.S. site for Electronic Arts,
or am I just feeble?
thanks
(PS: If I have a decent PS and a PS2 on a good TV, which is better for games?
Joe
Old 01-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I meant "I have a decent *PC* and also have a PS2 on a good TV..." sorry
Old 01-09-2005, 05:44 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Only through Germany right now. Got my copy on e-bay.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

GTR - Will it come out on XBOX?
Old 01-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I checked the web site. I am in Germany tomorrow - where in Germany? A regular computer store? Is the version only in German language, the voices speaking German?
Old 01-09-2005, 08:52 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

SSR, Till you find these, & I'd love 'em too. Have a peek @ a fair number of track sites themselves, as they often have a "lap" around their track. For instance- Road America.
Bill
Old 01-09-2005, 10:34 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Default For Xbox and PS2

Upcoming (Feb) GT4 (Sony) on PlaySTation2 will be awesome - I played a beta in the spring and was blown away.

Upcoming Forza (Microsoft First Party) on Xbox has the GT3 and other Porsches modelled and also features tracks like Laguna Seca.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I enjoy playing video games, especially car related ones. That said, IMHO, playing a racing game will not really enable a person to become familiar with a racetrack.

The only thing it will really show you is the basic layout of the track: left - left - right - right - right - straight....etc. The big problem is that the 'player' has no sense of speed going through those corners! There is no feel for how the car is really handling either: you don't get that sensation in the seat of your pants when the car starts to rotate.

I've raced 'virtually' on some tracks that I've actually driven on - Lime Rock and Watkins Glen. The gaming experience beared little or no resemblence to the real world.

Jeff Gordon claims that he learned much of his driving skills by using a racing simulator. I am unsure if he means a game that is played on a PC or gaming console, or if he had access to a more detailed sim. Regardless, I think Gordon's natural talent had more to do with his raise to the top of NASCAR.

Don't get me wrong - racing games are fun! But they aren't reality based (even the much acclaimed GT-3 and up coming GT-4 PS2 games), and I really don't see how they can be used to help one learn a track.

Just my $0.42,
-Z-man.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Pat K
AutoX

Default A true story

I practiced and learned Laguna Seca on GT3 (PlayStation2) for days prior to racing there. I setup a Ruf RGT to be as much like my Cup car as I could.

When I got to Laguna, I really was immediately familiar with the track. So much so, that I ws flying (for me) the first session out. Flying so much that I spun off the track. I was so used to driving on the edge from the game and the track felt so familiar from the game that I immediatly settled in to driving like in the game.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

There is a game that has Sebring on it... I think its called Total Immersion Racing for Xbox.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
I've raced 'virtually' on some tracks that I've actually driven on - Lime Rock and Watkins Glen.
What game / sim? Thanks Z-man.

Quick Reply: Appropriate racing games/sims