The Registrars Rant

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 09:15 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Ahh we who organize events all have our crosses to bear. John H and I could entertain you with tales of no-show instructors or instructors who break their cars in the first red run of the day and leave. PCA works because of hard working and (usually) patient volunters.
Well...there will always be knights and mercenaries.

Can't solve the instructor problem, but the registration problem and tech ones are simple. DON"T DO IT! Yes I know DE is the cash cow. If you're not filling the events and $$$ are more important than stress then charge double after some date.

As for tech, personally, I'd let the first offense go, mark a name in the book. If it happens again, I wouldn't tech the car until after lunch. Should be a policy thats stated up front and enforced, no exceptions. Miss the entire morning session once or twice and I doubt the behaviour will continue.

As all these annoyances illustrate, some people, hopefully only a few, are dogs. If you let 'em, they'll slowly gnaw on your leg till they hit bone. Saying don't do that again, patting them on the head and sending them on their way just reinforces the bad behavior. If they're not retrained, they'll just keep pissing all over everything. Those suffering from pathological lateness, be it in tech or finance, simply need to have the newspaper rolled up and their butts whacked firmly enough that they get the message.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:48 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=RJay]Well...there will always be knights and mercenaries.

Can't solve the instructor problem, but the registration problem and tech ones are simple. DON"T DO IT! Yes I know DE is the cash cow. If you're not filling the events and $$$ are more important than stress then charge double after some date.

Charge double......I was beginning to think my suggestion was foolish! I think it is a great deterent but no one even took notice, must be on an ignore list! Well I feel better now.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:05 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Refunds?? Our region doesn't allow refunds or cancellations. That's a pet peeve of mine, why can't they run it like any other business?
Old 01-08-2005, 04:02 PM
JoelG
Advanced

one of you mentioned my pet peeve... no-show instructors. how can they do that? I've literally towed three hundred miles thru both a hurricane and a snowstorm so that I could be there to instruct. The least these guys could do is call the registrar and let him know they cant make it.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So that's why you were so pissed today?!?!

Heh, just kidding, I feel for you, I hate when people are late in any situation but this kind of behaviour is just something I can't understand. Like you said, how can someone be so arrogant?

Good to know about the credit, I didn't know that's happening (is it with Suncoast also?) and ended up not making it to the 48 hours... I also have a weird job like Danny so I couldn't sign up early enough and now all the slots are taken...

Well, I know I will sign up for 48 hours in 2006 next week and make sure this won't happen again!

And BTW, thanks again to you & other guys doing our DE's, you're doing suberb job!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:12 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tntporsche
If I had a pet peeve, it is instructors who register late. I always have waiting lists of students. INSTRUCTORS - please register as close to opening day as possible.
AMEN!
I close student registration early when I run out of instructors. I'll clear a few more students from the wait list as instructors become available. ...but that's bad for the students. They won't get their cars teched until they confirmation they're in the event.

better yet . . . . just bring me a Corona at the end of the day!
This weekend some good folks brought the event organizing crew a six of cold Warsteiner - Must appreciated! You know that good deed won't be forgotten at the next event!

I wish we could have found the time to get down South this winter - we had a great time at your event last year Terry!
Yeah, we missed the "Novack crew" and that super-cool trailer this winter! Any chance you'll be down for the 48 Hours event? It's going to be HUGE this year! We've got a tremendous number of GT3 cup cars already registered.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Keep up the good work Terry. Compared to some registrars, you are on the ball with the correspondence and organization. I wish all registrars were as communicative as you. Its just as frustrating on the other side when your trying to make arrangements and you can't get a registrar to communicate with more than one word. (BTDT).
Old 01-10-2005, 12:51 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by C4 Guy

Any chance you'll be down for the 48 Hours event? It's going to be HUGE this year! We've got a tremendous number of GT3 cup cars already registered.
It doesn't look too promising for a southern expedition this winter - work seems to be interfering . . . although we did turn the rig around so we won't get snowed in.

Arlene
Old 01-11-2005, 01:25 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I'm coming clean in front of all Rennlisters. I was a late entry this past weekend. The event was closed although it was still a few days away . I e-mailed Terry and after two e-mails and a phone call for my credit card, I was in. You're the man Terry, even if you're eventually going to leave us to some other Registrar with the lame excuse that you moved to the other side of the State....

Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:33 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Ok, I'm coming clean in front of all Rennlisters. I was a late entry this past weekend. The event was closed although it was still a few days away . I e-mailed Terry and after two e-mails and a phone call for my credit card, I was in. You're the man Terry, even if you're eventually going to leave us to some other Registrar with the lame excuse that you moved to the other side of the State....

Thanks again.

Dirty Bast*rd!!!

Sorry we are going to miss you this season Arlene. It will be lonely at the "old man's land" paddock

Quick Reply: The Registrars Rant