Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone recomend a magnetic racing number site?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:41 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Rennline has a set of three (doors/hood) any color, any number 60$. Very nice, never leave a mark.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

C4S Surgeon,

How can magnetic numbers never leave a mark?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The rennline ones are large round magnetic decals, they don't seem super sticky, but stay on very well. I've used them at least 10 times, I always peel them off right after the track and I've never found any type of mark. If you could find a mark on my car I'd buy you a drink!
Chris
Old 04-05-2005, 11:25 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Dave, thanks for the tip on the hairdryer. I'll borrow one from one of my classmates, and give it a try. I was always under the impression that if you didn't apply them perfectly clean, or if dirt got underneath, that high frequency vibration would abrade the paint. I've run into several people who had switched (magbra, or magnetic numbers) because of the shadowing like what I have. Dave's "whitening" could surely prove me wrong, though.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 PM
VicThrust
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used FireStormGraphix.com. They sell some nice quality magnetic numbers.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

check out this guy. great to deal with. reusable vinyl. easy to get a season out of them if you take care removing and putting back onto backing paper. only thing that wears them out is dirt....clean the door, then apply, then replace onto clean backing. numerous fonts, colors and sizes. very reasonable price. fast service.
http://www.izoomgraphics.com
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set from Rennline, but also had a set made at the local sign shop, now on the race car is just vinyl.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 91 Posts

I've used magnetic numbers from edecals.com for years with absolutely no issues. I always take them off after the event. Don't leave them hanging there for days that's all.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I like this guy a lot: http://www.magnagrafik.com/. Professional looking numbers/graphics made to order; lots of cool graphic options including Porsche Motorsport stuff.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 PM
dpixxi
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_C4S
I like this guy a lot: http://www.magnagrafik.com/. Professional looking numbers/graphics made to order; lots of cool graphic options including Porsche Motorsport stuff.
996...Thanks for the recommendation. We use high energy magnetic which is back coated to protect your finish. It's not cheap material...but, I've always believed in putting whip cream on cheesecake.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default It's not a matter of time if...

it's a matter of when one of your magnetic numbers will fly off the car at speed. I have lost two (2) this way...maybe because I drive "Flat Out"? In both cases they were not recovered...so I had to use painters tape as a temporary fix. Man is that stuff ugly.

In a worst case scenario, a friend had a magnetic number fly off the car in front of him and land smack dab in the middle of his windshield. He had the non-magneric aka glass windshield in that day so I can't imagine why it could stick, but stick it did, and he had to dive into the hot pits to have it peeled off.

Me, I gave up on magnetic numbers...now I just leave the front and rear numbers on the car...and if I drive on the street, peel the vinyl door numbers off....install a new set of door numbers when it's time for the track. They are $20 to $30 for 2 door vinyl #s in my neck of the woods.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
it's a matter of when one of your magnetic numbers will fly off the car at speed. I have lost two (2) this way...maybe because I drive "Flat Out"? In both cases they were not recovered...so I had to use painters tape as a temporary fix. Man is that stuff ugly.

In a worst case scenario, a friend had a magnetic number fly off the car in front of him and land smack dab in the middle of his windshield. He had the non-magneric aka glass windshield in that day so I can't imagine why it could stick, but stick it did, and he had to dive into the hot pits to have it peeled off.

Me, I gave up on magnetic numbers...now I just leave the front and rear numbers on the car...and if I drive on the street, peel the vinyl door numbers off....install a new set of door numbers when it's time for the track. They are $20 to $30 for 2 door vinyl #s in my neck of the woods.
I really disagree; mine don't budge. Maybe it's because they're big (see my avatar photo), or are thicker/more magnetic, but I'm really not worried about losing one. I've used for 2 years and I'm quite confident about it at this point.

Quick Reply: Can anyone recomend a magnetic racing number site?