Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking safety more seriously in '05. AFFF.....Firecharger, SPA, or FireFox?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 08:30 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taking safety more seriously in '05. AFFF.....Firecharger, SPA, or FireFox?

I am planning on buying a plumbed-in AFFF fire system. I am not sure whether to get a Firecharger, SPA, or FireFox system. Are they all basically the same?

Any advice from you guys who have them would be appreciated.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:33 PM
DCLee
Pro

I am very high on SPA Design (Halon) electrical systems. Can't comment on the other brands...

Lee in D.C.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Geo
Race Director

I just bought a Firecharger, but mainly because I got a KILLER deal on a new set-up. The one real advantage this system has over the others is it's user rechargeable. Before my first event I will have a recharge kit in my spares.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:19 AM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the firecharger too, very nice system. I'm not nuts about halon. It can suffocate you as well as the fire plus once it's gone it's gone. The AFFF will stick to the parts helping prevent reignition. Having had the joy of having a fire in my car, this is an important aspect to consider.

Cheers, James
Old 12-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

For the past several years, Porsche AG has equipped its race cars with SPA systems.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:48 AM
James Achard
Pro

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
For the past several years, Porsche AG has equipped its race cars with SPA systems.
Just to clarify, these systems are AFFF since halon is not allowed in Europe, correct?

Cheers, James
Old 12-27-2004, 01:26 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

I have a FireCharger AFFF system.

Great deals on FireCharger at Apex Performance

Apex is the lead sponsor for the 944SuperCup series - supporting racers like us.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:50 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW...

In a widely varying conversation with Kevin Buckler a couple years ago at Sebring - mostly to do with the Cup Car I tend - the topic of fire systems came up. Looking at the car together, he noted that we had the original SPA system in the car, and that they were junk in his opinion. I don't remember the circumstance, but he related that the Racer's Group team had, I believe, innadvertently set the system off, and that it performed miserably. It seems to me that they then performed a purposeful test, and that the initial findings were repeated. He said that they switched all their cars to a different brand.

I realize this is anecdotal, and not particularly current. You may take it for what it is worth. One thing I do know is that KB is not a dumb guy, and I value his opinions when they are offered. If I get the chance, I will ask him about it again at Sebring.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:30 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Once the plumbing is in for a certain system can the type of supressive material be changed? I already have the halon system and wonder if I would have to change out all the plumbing to change the system.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

I spoke with Kevin this afternoon and the issue appears to have been the AFFF and not the system itself. In fact, he noted that, currently, they are using the factory system.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a "FireFighter" SPA system purchased from and recommended by The Racers Group. It's an AFFF system with three nozzels fed by a 10 lb bottle. It's electrical release, not mechanical.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:53 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

James you have mail.
Bill
Old 12-27-2004, 07:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Being an electrical engineer (probably recalling my days of designing flight/man rated hardware), I prefer the mechanical system.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:09 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just thought I would chime and mention that SPA can accomodate the use of FireAde (similar to AFFF but supposedly much more effective). Here is an article about the LaSalle Bank fire in Chicago and how the CFD is considering alternative agents:

http://www.chicagosuntimes.com/outpu...ws-fire19.html

From what I have read, Halon/Halotron is better at extinguishing fires whereas FireAde/AFFF is better at keeping fires out. The liquids must also contact the fire directly whereas the Halon simply needs to be in the same semi-enclosed space.

The ultimate system sounds like one that uses both setups, but that is very cost prohibitive and complex.

If you have to choose one, I would choose SPA with FireAde.

Max
Old 12-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a novice in this area, I would think that the main purpose of a fire extinguisher system is to create a survivable compartment in the car in the event that the car is engulfed in flames, and the driver has to wait for the rescue crew to get out. Saving the car is secondary to protecting the driver, or are these systems powerful enough to do both?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Taking safety more seriously in '05. AFFF.....Firecharger, SPA, or FireFox?