Sponsored by:

Racing Suit question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 01:24 AM
offroadr35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Suit question...

Now that I'm doing 1-2 track days per month I thought it would be a good idea to invest in a driving suit. I bought a 3 layer Sparco X-light (yes i've heard they're not incredibly durable but that's not my first concern when it's 110 degrees at Willow Springs).

My question is, what do you guys wear underneath? Do you go comando? nomex boxers? regular boxers?

I know it's kind of an odd question but i gotta know these things
Old 12-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

"Teddi".
Old 12-24-2004, 10:13 AM
DAR951
Pro

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
"Teddi".
I think Fredericks has them in Carbon-X... don't really want to know why...
Old 12-24-2004, 10:22 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have always worn fire-resistant underwear under my suit.
Something that you might want to look at - Ringers Products are marketing their "Under-X" line. This is fire-resistant underwear, balaclavas, and gloves, mfg. from carbon cloth rather than nomex. It is much more fire resistant than nomex, and the material also acts as a "wicking" agent - making it very comfortable to wear.
I have worn this underwear, and found it to be much more comfortable than nomex, or even wearing no underwear at all.
They also market (in conjunction with Fresh Air Systems) "Cool Shirts", that are the Carbon-X shirt, with the cooling tubes for the "cool suit" systems.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the hot days I wear cotton shorts and a cotton t-shirt so I can just take the suit off between sessions. Santa is supposed to be bringing me a cool shirt. That should be nice for the days that are 105 °F or so at Thunderhill or Buttonwillow (or anywhere else).

Gumball - that sounds like a good set of products to investigate.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
"Teddi".
Trailer queen.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:28 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I was advised to NEVER wear cotton under your suit. Apparently it will melt and stick to your skin. I know I don't want material stuck to my boys. Better to wear nothing under the suit if your not going to wear the nomex.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Cotton doesn't melt. Untreated cotton does have an ignition temp of 250c. Poly-cotton blends will melt, as will polyesters and nylon. Take that into your consideration when picking out your teddi. Leather is naturally flame resistant is you're into that sort of thing.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:35 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I wear boxers and a t-shirt. I have a stand 21 3 layer suit. I was under the impression that fireproof underwear is optional with a 3 layer.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:40 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockfan4
Cotton doesn't melt. Untreated cotton does have an ignition temp of 250c. Poly-cotton blends will melt, as will polyesters and nylon. Take that into your consideration when picking out your teddi. Leather is naturally flame resistant is you're into that sort of thing.
What about silk?

I thought I saw a stat somewhere that more people were injured by heat stroke at the track than fire. Get yourself a nice cool shirt to wear under that 3 layer suit.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:38 PM
nman413
Drifting

Silk thong?
Old 12-25-2004, 10:46 PM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

- leather is flame resistant..but it will SHRINK....as well as transfer heat.....
- cotton doesn't melt, but the elastic waistband will...
- cotton will retain sweat, so will nomex...
- the carbon-cloth underwear that Ringers, Simpson (and maybe others) market, wicks sweat away, increasing comfort - besides adding another layer of flameproofing...

I found that when wearing the Carbon-X long underwear (top, bottom, & balaclava)
I was drier, cooler, and more comfortable than wearing nothing under my suit.

Something to keep in mind, even a good three layer suit is only good for 10-15 seconds of contact flame before skin damage starts.....
Old 12-26-2004, 07:58 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GUMBALL
I have always worn fire-resistant underwear under my suit.
I wonder if this is really useful though ... I am assuming this underwear does not cover the arms and legs? What is the part of the body most likely to be subject to the most heat? I would suggest first hands and feet, then arms and legs. By the time your torso is engulfed you are already going to be in a very nasty situation. Is it really useful to be adding additional protection to the torso which isn't also found on the extremities?

Stephen
Old 12-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Fixed Wing,
Ask Dale Jr. if he thinks fire resistant underwear is useful? You can buy the underwear to give full coverage, it looks like the long underwear you wear in the winter.

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/p...5&prod_id=3888

CarbonX is amazing stuff. I highly recommend you loook at it before you buy anything nomex.

Quick quote : "In test, CarbonX® was exposed to 2600 degrees for 90 seconds as compared to Nomex® for 5 seconds. CarbonX® will not ignite or burn even when exposed to temperatures exceeding 2600° f. for over 120 seconds. CarbonX® fabric, is cool and wicks moisture away from skin. Used in auto racing industry, steel mills, fire departments and many other applications to protect against burns."

BTW here is a website that has the simpson Carbon X underwear for about half the price of the Simpson site :

http://www.safetysupplysouth.com/Mer...tegory_Code=C1

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 12-26-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Greg,
Thank You and Merry Christmas! It is my turn to send You parts, let me know what You need and when You need it!

Quick Reply: Racing Suit question...