Sponsored by:

Porsche, profits, the race program, and the soul of the company

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:04 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny Joe, I get the same question from everyone when I tell them that I track my car. Duuuude, how fast do you go? I say well the fastest I have gone is about 120mph (speedo said 130, but I doubt it). I then say that the time you spend on the straight at 120mph is relaxing and used to collect your thoughts because that next turn at 70mph will make you check your pants. Most still don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I am thoroughly impressed with the action of stock cars and dirt track cars. Those drivers possess an amazing skill. It is a very different skill and ultimately there isn't much that connects road racing and Nascar aside from car control. It also doesn't entertain me, but I can respect the sport.

Overall, it is the fans and the general conduct of the sport that truly turns me off. It would be similar to attending a football game where people just want to see someone get knocked out. I enjoy football for the strategy, the skill and the competition. I really want to see everyone walk away healthy. NASCAR seems more like the XFL. I also think that Vince McMahon was using not only WWF as his model but NASCAR as well. Fortunately it didn't work.

As far as going fast is concerned, they are all damned fast. There is a great place to stand at IMS for F1 practice (not sure you can for the race) just before the last turn enters the straight. You can get so close that you can barely turn your head fast enough. The cars appear to be heading straight towards you.

In the end, the racers are all after the same thing. There are a number of road racers, Mario Andretti comes to mind, that have enjoyed success in stock cars and dirt tracks. I don't think that Andretti would race in something if he thought it was stupid. If someone offered me a chance to race in any motorsport (aside from drag) I would take it. I bet it would be fun any way you cut it.

Max
Old 01-07-2005, 12:30 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well yeah the Nascar sucks is bit harsh, but when Nascar gets this big it hurts.

Most people believe Racing = NASCAR = Racing. I hate that and that there is NASCAR TV on all them time. I am tired of it. Really reminds me of the whole what a Porsche is.

To most folks a Porsche = 911 = Porsche. Well it is not! It was a little over year ago and my old boss got DE day with local racing group as going away (moved to new job) gift. Ended-up taking it at same day I was doing race. So in driver's meeting I went over and said hi. We chatted a bit and he wanted to see my car. He is car guy and knew I raced a Porsche. So we walk over and from a little ways away I point and Say #94 Red. He respoinded with "I thought you race a Porsche?"

So that is one reason I dis like nascar so much. It is not that it should be eliminated as a sport, but the fact that is so big as to overshadow all other forms of motorsport to the point where they don't even seem to exist.

PS... I don't hate 911's, but just found that to be an interesting story to illustrate the point.

PSS... My favorite place for F1 at indy is north mound. I usally there for pratice and qualfying. Race time we sit in our seats in turn 1.

Hey that Reminds me... I along with my Wife, Father and Mother have our pictures in F1 Racing Magazine. I think it is Novemver issue. Anyway in the article about Alsono there is Picture of his wreck at Indy this year. Directly above his car about 7 rows is us. My wife as the big black movie star hat on. . Unfortunatly I have my camera stuck in my face

Quick Reply: Porsche, profits, the race program, and the soul of the company