Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Sunday at noon on Speed will be the Grand-Am race from VIR
Old 10-17-2004, 05:32 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan

- Don't go through the Uphill Esses and into South Bend looking in your mirrors. We wouldn't want to have to rename the "lake" in the infield!

Ah - to be famous!
Old 10-17-2004, 06:09 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First time at VIR for me and I am absolutely in need of a ride in the red group to get things started on friday.

Now, we know that John Hajny's passenger's seat is taken, so I'm looking to hop into someone else's car friday a.m. Who's got an empty seat in the instructor's group?

Richard
Old 10-17-2004, 08:50 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can take you for a ride.
I've got 4500 or so miles there.

Just find #93 (Red 930) first thing Friday morning or late Thur night.

Brian
Old 10-17-2004, 11:31 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

BKS,

Thanks. I'll be looking for #93.

BTW, are we still aiming for the Italian Restaurant on thursday night? Don't know what time I'll be arriving, as we'll be driving all day thursday from upstate N.Y. Anyway, if not thursday, maybe friday??

Richard
Old 10-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

I never got this right and it cost me on the back straight, similar to the 5a/5b complex at Mosport: milliseconds matter in terms of getting on throttle early bc you are aimed at a loooong uphill climb, not that the turbo guys notice
Oh we notice! For instance If i screwed up the launch out of oak tree a well driven cup car 4 car lengths ahead stays that way for another lap. Or If he his behind me will hold the draft and give big trouble at the other end with his ABS. (The grip and agility of the 04 cup's is outrageous in the twisty stuff, the only place I can out corner them most of the time is the high speed stuff where I think I've got some better down force, their power is gearing is pretty awesome too.)
I’m looking forward to really leaning the data system we have this winter, we can now overlay in car camera with it. I did not make provisions for a passenger seat in this car. I really feel in car coaching is great and enjoy DE’s for the give and take but felt it was out of place in my car. I had people riding with me in my old car in the two sessions before my crash at Tremblant (white/black drivers) and that scared the hell out of me. Some one in the passenger seat would have been seriously hurt or killed
Old 10-18-2004, 10:59 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 814 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
I had people riding with me in my old car in the two sessions before my crash at Tremblant (white/black drivers) and that scared the hell out of me.
I hear ya. I think we all sometimes forget how a small mistake can result in a serious problem. It's amazing how safety never really crossed my mind until I was upside down
Old 10-19-2004, 09:27 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pesky,

Where did you manage to get upside-down?

In a 914??

I ask because there was an inverted 914/6 at Lime Rock the same day I imbedded my 968 in the tire wall at the beginning of the front straight.

Richard
Old 10-19-2004, 09:38 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by richard glickel

In a 914??

I ask because there was an inverted 914/6 at Lime Rock the same day I imbedded my 968 in the tire wall at the beginning of the front straight.
Inverted...that sounds so much nicer than "flipped". But yep, that was me. The really fun part was when the oil started leaking out of the oil tank and I could see it dripping down the rear window. Nothing like some unidentified fluid dripping while you're upside down to get you properly motivated to get the heck out of a car...

On the bright side, I still have zero career spins in 70+ track days with NNJR (oh how I wish I had just spun ).
Old 10-19-2004, 09:57 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm....

Indeed, sometimes the best save is the one you never attempt! I learned that from years of hockey. When you are off balance and out of control, just friggin FALL and get it over with!

Offing successfully is yet another artform. Then... there's my tagline!
Old 10-19-2004, 10:13 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Indeed, sometimes the best save is the one you never attempt! I learned that from years of hockey. When you are off balance and out of control, just friggin FALL and get it over with!
That's actually what I did...I basically realized I was dunfer just past the apex and went straight off on the outside of the esses. Too bad it had rained for like 10 straight days, 'cause once one tire hit grass, I didn't slow down at all. I often wonder if I wouldn't have been better off yanking it back to the inside.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:20 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just to clarify...

Did you first flub the left-hander, or was it simply a big ooops in the right onto No Name? I had heard somone say the final off was only the end of a string of saves that... really...sorta... weren't.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:32 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to clarify...

Did you first flub the left-hander, or was it simply a big ooops in the right onto No Name? I had heard somone say the final off was only the end of a string of saves that... really...sorta... weren't.
Hmm, funny how rumors start. I haven't seen the in-car video since the day of the incident, but my recollection is Pesky had the car in fine shape through the left hander and just tried to go a bit too fast into the right.

It is funny/sad how recurring training leads to decisions. We constantly hear "if you're going to go off, go off straight and under control". Although this is a good rule of thumb, it isn't always the right answer. You can see in the video that Pesky thought briefly about trying to save the car, but then settled on his training and drove it off straight. Unfortunately there is little room there and a tire wall is in the way...
Old 10-19-2004, 10:33 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Just to clarify...

No flub on the left, just one big oops in the right-hander onto noname. Basically I went into the righthander faster than I had been going (I was flat out from just after the turn-in point of the left) and then I missed the apex (maybe 3 feet early and 18" wide).

It's funny how rumors of what happened get started.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:51 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...

Something about dropping off the left, then dropping off the right. Could have been about someone else, or a different lap?

That dang little straight between the esses gets pretty short when you get the left hander right!

My buddy smoked his 930S at the Glen last week. T-boned a C2 that lost it in 6. You are not alone.

Quick Reply: Track notes for VIR