Sponsored by:

CC Dedicated Track Car ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 11:58 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the Elise would be cool as would a Miata or a 944 or a 911SC. They are all nimble, capable cars. Given your obvious buying power, these would be a drop in the bucket and if you don't like them or want to move up quickly you can sell them pretty easily. I suggest finding a Spec Miata, or a PCA Club Race ready 944/911SC/911 3.2. This way it will already have the safety mods complete.

One other option for learning is Karting. You may not have 500hp sitting under you, but it will feel like it. Look into doing a spec series for karting for a season or two. This is much cheaper than a car and your learning curve will love it.

Oh and if you get an Exige/Elise, I would love to see it...and maybe drove it!

Max
Old 08-31-2004, 12:24 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viper with snow tires.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:47 PM
hrk
Instructor

One of these
www.russmarshall.com/cmc7

Should be reasonably fast, safe and cheap to run.
hrk

Last edited by hrk; 08-31-2004 at 02:21 PM. Reason: link
Old 09-01-2004, 11:42 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
I admit that I was one of those Porsches that Neon was all over!
My god Z-man, have some pride...don't admit to getting schooled by a Neon! Lucky for you, I was able to keep up the Porsche pride by beating him like a red-headed step child.

CC, most of the suggestions on this thread have a common theme. If you go out and buy some absurdly fast racer, the only thing that will be fast is your ability to write the check. DAS or not, you need seat time to build up feel of how fast you can really go...and more importantly, the skills to save yourself when you do something boneheaded. Do yourself a favor and go get a "normal" track car. I really liked the G stock idea. Heck, even a 993 would be fine.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Lefty's Deceiver
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like I said, the 962R has 350hp, only 1,100 lbs., no cup car could touch it, ever, anywhere, under any conditions
This will only mask your driving development needs because you won't know what a fast time will be in that car unless a really good driver has the same car at the same track. At least I know what guys with similar hardware are doing at all the tracks I go to. I guess you could ask a really good driver to flog your car around the track - that'll give you something to grow towards.

Like you said, you'll be passing everything out there in this car so at least you'll be able to learn without your doors being blown off.

Also, with all these high hp / high tech cars you are lusting over don't allow you to polish your momentum management (by getting the line and transitions down perfectly). This is because you can always mop up inadequate driving ability with high hp and great brakes. I'd rather take a nap.

Lefty
Old 09-02-2004, 12:37 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Good point, Lefty. With enough hp, road racing becomes just a series of short drag races. Yawn.

It doesn't take much skill to push really hard on the go-pedal in a car that handles "really well on the straights".
Old 09-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pesky 914
My god Z-man, have some pride...don't admit to getting schooled by a Neon! Lucky for you, I was able to keep up the Porsche pride by beating him like a red-headed step child.
Well, I was having coolant loss and oil pressure issues....and I think one of my spark plug wires may have been loose...
Old 09-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing makes a racer in a $700 car laugh harder than 'picking on' some schmoe in a fast car. Almost got thrown out of an open track test day at Watkins Glen over a decade ago, because we (me = VW Golf, buddy1 = Volvo 142, buddy2 = VW Scirocco) spent the first part of the day picking on race cars (in particular, a 5.0 Mustang race car and a Ferrari 308 race car). Our little 3-car freight train could steam-roller just about anything on the track back then.

Got scolded heavily by event organizer, even though he was laughing pretty hard. Mustang and Ferrari guys were pissed and humiliated. Mustang guy loaded up and went home after lunch, as he thought we were crazy. We're weren't trying to **** them off, but we were trying to humilate them. It worked.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:02 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Nothing makes a racer in a $700 car laugh harder than 'picking on' some schmoe in a fast car. Almost got thrown out of an open track test day at Watkins Glen over a decade ago, because we (me = VW Golf, buddy1 = Volvo 142, buddy2 = VW Scirocco) spent the first part of the day picking on race cars (in particular, a 5.0 Mustang race car and a Ferrari 308 race car). Our little 3-car freight train could steam-roller just about anything on the track back then.

Got scolded heavily by event organizer, even though he was laughing pretty hard. Mustang and Ferrari guys were pissed and humiliated. Mustang guy loaded up and went home after lunch, as he thought we were crazy. We're weren't trying to **** them off, but we were trying to humilate them. It worked.

Loved that story! Having a 944-spec car with spray can paint job is very similar experience. Picking on "faster cars" is so much fun! I remember the time I QUALFIED right behind a Ferrai 355 Challenge car .2 off his pace. And that was when I was running slow laps. Now I am at least 1-1.5 seconds faster.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, nothing was more fun than chasing down much faster cars in my 200 hp Carrera. Nothing that is until I got my GT3, and starting driving it the way I drove my Carrera. Now I get to chase down & pass the 500 hp guys!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: CC Dedicated Track Car ?