First DE coming up

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 07:07 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First DE coming up

I've finally made the commitment to take my car to the track. I've got a '95 Cab, fully stock. I'm going to Blackhawk next Wednesday (I gave myself the day off).

I believe the car to be in good technical shape. But since I'd hate to be wrong, this first time I'm having the dealer do the tech inspection. In the future, I'll do it myself.

I've read the "DE - What You Need To Know" as well as all the registration stuff.

Any specific advice for a newbie? Anyone here going to be attending?

Jim

Last edited by jnnking; 08-12-2004 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:16 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Roll Bar?
Old 08-11-2004, 07:30 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim,

Most of all, have a good time out there. Listen to instructors as they have experience you do not yet have.

Realize that you have to go slow and smooth in order to move up to fast and smooth. If you try to go fast too early, you will never be smooth and never get the kind of speed you likely want. Hence be patient and the speed will come.

While I have never driven Blackhawk, everyone I know who has says it is very hard on brakes. So make sure you have lots of pad and check them throughout the day.

Remember that you want to drive the car back home and there are no prizes at a DE. Try not to let your face freeze into that silly grin you will have at the end of the day.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:34 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jnnking
Any specific advice for a newbie?
Mechanical: Make sure brake pads are good and brake fluid is bled (or better, flushed).

Other: Have an open mind, listen, and HAVE FUN!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 07:52 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take full advantage of what your instructor can provide you. Every chance you can get, take a ride in his/her car. It gives some context to what they are trying to explain to you, but you are inevitably losing in execution. Also, take a notepad to jot down notes after each session and ask every question that comes to mind. The instructors are just regular people look you and I...except they know alot about driving...unlike you and I.

1. Make sure your lugs are torqued...so either bring your own torque wrench or find one to borrow at the track.

2. Ask your instructor to help you with your tire inflation numbers. It is different for the track.

3. If you are given the opportunity for an early morning track walk, take it.

4. Make sure brake pads and fluid are up to snuff.

5. Don't be afraid to talk to everyone, ask advice, admire cars, and just have fun!

Max
Old 08-11-2004, 09:15 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Wednesday? How about the Thursday/Friday DE with Milwaukee and Nord Stern PCA clubs? I'll be there.

lemme add...

Lots of cold water for you.
Sunscreen and maybe a hat.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:49 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Jim,
Try not to let your face freeze into that silly grin you will have at the end of the day.
I've already got that grin creaping into to corners of my mouth.

As for the rollbar, it's not required for the event and level I'm at, ie very beginner. Besides, I (with wife and son) drive the car for fun as well.

I'm having the brake fluid flushed before I go. Pads will be checked, I think they're okay, but I have new ones in case I need them.

Thanks for the reminder to bring water. That will make a big difference!

Jim

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-2004, 09:50 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

GlenL,

I'm going with the Chicago PCA, although I did see your group on the schedule.

Sorry I'll miss you.

Jim
Old 08-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Wow, no rollbar? I might have said I hope there's some instructor who'll ride in a cab with no rollbar, so you can participate, but really I hope there isn't. If this is a DE event like the DE events we're used to, it's entirely inappropriate to let a car out on the track without a proper rollbar. Many instructors, understandably, won't ride in Boxsters because of the questionable rollover protection. I hope I've misunderstood the situation here -

BTW, it wouldn't be an issue at the tracks I'm familiar with, they won't let an open car run without a real rollbar -

Matt
Old 08-12-2004, 12:46 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

I forgot to ask, what about protecting my car from rocks an such. I have a bra (that I've never used). I also see many people using tape. If so, how much do I cover and with what kind?
Old 08-12-2004, 10:11 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kim,

What kind of tape did you use? I have some 3M painters tape, bright blue low adhesion stuff, but not sure if that will work.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

In addition to all of the great advice on mechanical preparation, I'll just add to what Sunday said and tell you to check your ego at the door, keep an open mind, and really listen to your instructor's words. Simply finding the correct line, in addition to smoothness, awareness, and inputs for steering, throttle and braking, can be hard enough to assimilate. Your instructor is there to guide you with all of these complexities.

You will have a blast!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

BTW, the blue stuff works wonderfully.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:36 AM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a great event- very low key and freindly, with lots of instruction and people willing to give advice. I track my 03 C4 cab- Chicago Region events require top-up running, of course, but no roll bar. Get there early for registration and tech.

Bring a cooler w/ water and snack-type food, a tire gauge, torque wrench, and portable chair- there's lots of downtime, and it helps to have a place to sit in the shade. Make sure you stop at the Mobil station in Rockton and fill the tank before you get to the track- you'll go through an entire tank at the event. In fact, my first trip to Blackhawk required an emergency drive into town between sessions at the end of the day.

I tape my headlights, and some guys tape the inside of their wheel wells, but after two track days at Blackhawk, one at Road America, and a few auto-xs, I don't even have a scratch. I would ascribe that fact to blind-*** luck.

Most of all, relax and have fun. Listen to your instructor, point the faster guys by, concentrate on technique rather than speed, and enjoy yourself and your car. Oh, and by the way, you can't hurt it by driving it on the track- it's what it was made for. Cheers.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:28 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

While this is your first event and the likelyhood of rollover is very slight, if the bug bites, either get a dedicated track car or put in a roll bar. I will be required at most events (I assume this is a test and tune you are going to) and the 993 and older cabs are unsafe without it. As for the Boxters being unsafe, well maybe so but none of the clubs I run with preclude them.

Quick Reply: First DE coming up