Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First DE coming up

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004 | 03:40 PM
TREMPER
Racer

I am glad we have the front of the car covered so there will be minimal stone chip damage, but must of you, except for Matt, have glossed over the fact that this cab is going out on the track WITHOOUT roll over protection for the driver and Instructor. There are National Standards for DE events which all regions must adhere. The Standard for Open Cars...that is cars without a permanet roof, need a roll bar if the factory did not supply roll over protection..the 996 cab and Boxster fall into the latter category.
Pete
Old 08-12-2004 | 03:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

From my region's (NER) car requirements section:

Roll bar for cabriolets — except Boxster and 996 cabs which may run as shipped by the factory. While not required, we recommend roll-bar extensions for all Boxsters, especially for those with drivers who "sit tall."

Drivers of Boxsters and 996 cabs must run with their tops up or their hard tops installed unless they meet the requirements in the next bullet.

Drivers of all open cars and cabs with the top off or down must meet the broomstick rule and have five-point harnesses & arm restraints (in spite of the name, the driver has all the mobility needed to safely drive her/his car).
Old 08-12-2004 | 04:44 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

The guidelines for the Chicago PCA are worded similarly, but do not classify a Cabriolet as an 'open' car. The top needs to be up and I can only run in the lower groups.
Old 08-12-2004 | 05:25 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I started DE's w/a 993 Cab...that's why I have 3 Porsche's now. Once your times improves, Chicago will not let you drive above the novice group. They also frown on "experienced" drivers from driving in Novice. I didn't want to mess up my cab w/a rollbar so I bought the '74.

As for instructors, there will be some good ones there. I know that Bill (Bill in Chi) is going and he knows the track very well. Look him up or request him and you'll be fine.

If you haven't had the work done on your car yet, you might consider Midwest Eurosport. They support many of the Chi. de'ers and racers. They will probably be a Blackhawk to offer support. I would pick up a set of brake pads to be on the safe side. Worst case, you can have Eurosport put them in for you.

You'll have a blast, I suggest you start looking for your second p-car about now!
Old 08-12-2004 | 06:43 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff,

I will try to request Bill, thanks for the referral.

Wait 'til my wife hears I 'need' to buy another Porsche, she's love that excuse.
Old 08-12-2004 | 07:43 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
As for the Boxters being unsafe, well maybe so but none of the clubs I run with preclude them.
I've seen some photos of some bad rollovers in boxsters where the occupents have walked away with a few scratches. One photo showed an accident from someone doing well in excess of 100 MPH.

That being said, I still made sure that I passed the broomstick test with tons of room to spare. In the interests of equal protection, my passenger enjoys similar safety.
Old 08-12-2004 | 09:33 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

I find it hard to believe that most of the chatter here is about protecting the car from stone chips . . . protect yourself and your instructor!

I am amazed that even if the sponsorsing group allows cabs to run without rollover protection, that the track would allow it.

Get yourself a rollbar - I have seen many that are both attractive and do not hinder the use of the rear seats for kids.
Old 08-12-2004 | 10:58 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

I get most of my stone chips on the road, not on the track. I think the ratio is about 95% road, 5% track. Only stone chips come from someone going off in your session and dragging stuff onto the track.

Now big black rubber marks all over the paint... sure, but they wash right off with a little elbow grease.
Old 08-13-2004 | 08:15 AM
TREMPER
Racer

An "open car" is defined as a car without permanent roof attached at the "A" & "B" pillars...just putting the top up in a cabriolet does not convert an open car to a coupe..
Pete
Old 08-13-2004 | 08:56 AM
Al P.
Pro

no roll bar is definately a no-go. There are bolt-in, no modifications necesary, bars available that although not suitable for racing would work well for your DE application. Getting the second dedicated track car is however the best option:-)

Pete (Tremper) and TNT (always anonymous) have it right pay attention.

Pete, see you at the Point next weekend ?
Old 08-13-2004 | 05:03 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
I've used both the blue painters tape and racers tape (duct tape really).
Though similar in appearence, Duct Tape uses a much stronger adhesive than Racer's Tape.
Old 08-13-2004 | 06:26 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't want to clean all of that adhesive of the front of my car....I know it doesn't always happen but when there is a tape residue you can look at several hours of cleaning and waxing. If chips are a concern, invest in a car bra.

I have also heard that duct tape can lift the paint if it really gets hot and sets on the car.
Old 10-12-2004 | 12:39 PM
smokindav
Instructor

How about an update on how the DE went?
Old 10-12-2004 | 12:50 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I just checked Chicago PCA's web site. What event is this? I might try to sneak away.
Old 10-12-2004 | 01:10 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

CC

Check the thread dates

Quick Reply: First DE coming up